PDA

View Full Version : Not hifi but, TV sound.

archiesdad
12-04-2014, 18:26
A colleague at work has been thinking about a sound bar to improve the tv sound but hasn't the cash to buy a quality unit, I got thinking about this and reckon I just might be able to lay my hands on a couple of those nice little Bose square speakers from a surround system, if I couple them using a headphone lead with two tails for individual cans then plug this into the headphone socket on the telly anyone think will this result in an improvement.?
Thanks for your patience guys

DSJR
12-04-2014, 18:29
I believe Yamaha do acceptable sound-bars....

Bose satellite speakers have absolutely no bass at all (or lower mid for that matter) so relults will be very variable. May be worth a try though..

julesd68
12-04-2014, 19:48
You don't need lots of cash to make a big upgrade on TV sound - I bought an old QED amp for £30 from Gumtree and a pair of lovely small Denon / Mission speakers for around £20 off ebay - job done ...
Better than any soundbar I would reckon ...

MikeMusic
13-04-2014, 10:10
A colleague at work has been thinking about a sound bar to improve the tv sound but hasn't the cash to buy a quality unit, I got thinking about this and reckon I just might be able to lay my hands on a couple of those nice little Bose square speakers from a surround system, if I couple them using a headphone lead with two tails for individual cans then plug this into the headphone socket on the telly anyone think will this result in an improvement.?
Thanks for your patience guys
2nd hand amp and speakers will surely out perform a sound bar for less money won't it ?

AlexM
14-04-2014, 08:42
I have a Yamaha YAS-101, which i like quite a lot. It has the benefit of not needing an extra subwoofer as it produces a quite reasonable amount of bass itself. I'm not really into AV, and was never in the market for a high-performing 5.1 or sub/sat-type solution.

Having said all of theat, I find the little Yamaha works really well for my limited needs. Volume limits are higher than I expected - ok, it isn't going to replace a 5.1 system, but as a way to improve the crappy quality of most flat screen TVs, it meets my needs very well. The only real limitation is on the number of inputs, but if your TV has a digital output (and most do) then you are fine.

Dialogue is clear, and there is a suprising amount of bass extension. If you can pick one up cheaply then buy with confidence. I have seen them for as little as £129 online.