PDA

View Full Version : When you think you

The Barbarian
04-04-2014, 17:48
Have the best sounding system ever untill you hear someone elses!

Never happened yet :lol:

istari_knight
04-04-2014, 17:58
Nurse ! He's escaped again ! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/istari_knight9/straightj_zpsbabf5baa.gif

... What exactly are you saying ? That you've never preferred someone else's system to your own ?

Barry
04-04-2014, 19:07
Nurse ! He's escaped again ! http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/istari_knight9/straightj_zpsbabf5baa.gif

... What exactly are you saying ? That you've never preferred someone else's system to your own ?

Can't say I have ever heard another system which has made me disappointed with mine (for all its limitations).

archiesdad
04-04-2014, 19:57
There have been times when I've listened to another system and thought WOW, but then considered, the cost difference say, and after a wee listen at home decided it's really not bad after all. Best is when someone with a quality system comes to visit and pays compliments to the sound from your stuff.

The Barbarian
04-04-2014, 20:56
Aint just me then :eyebrows:

istari_knight
04-04-2014, 21:28
On the flip side of the coin I find live amplified gigs make me appreciate the hifi more as 9 times out of 10 it sounds better than the crappy PA :lol:

MartinT
04-04-2014, 21:42
I find live amplified gigs make me appreciate the hifi more as 9 times out of 10 it sounds better than the crappy PA :lol:

I quite agree. As for other systems, I've not heard one in a long time that I prefer to my own.

Conan
04-04-2014, 21:50
I have spent 20 years swapping equipment but now I believe that my system is the best I have ever had (and really much cheaper than stuff I owned in the past).
I won't be hearing other systems so that I don't change my mind.

Barry
04-04-2014, 22:57
On the flip side of the coin I find live amplified gigs make me appreciate the hifi more as 9 times out of 10 it sounds better than the crappy PA :lol:

True - but when you attend a live (unamplified) classical concert, you realise how far we have to go!

Gordon Steadman
05-04-2014, 07:34
I've heard better hi-fis elsewhere but very rarely better music.

Tim
05-04-2014, 07:46
A 'live amplified gig' is so much more to me than just the sound quality, but then I'm not an audiophile. If you are going to a gig just to hear how its sounds (not classical) then you are likely to be disappointed, but I think you are missing the point entirely with that mindset ;) I have also heard many systems that are much worse than a live gig - however a lot of the live gigs I go to are small and intimate, with very low key amplification and they sound superb. I do often wonder about how many live shows people actually go to?

As to the OP, well I like how my system sounds just fine and I am often relieved when I hear other systems as I think to myself . . "Well I prefer mine". Neither is better, its a preference for what we like and prefer, just the same as preferring brunettes to blondes.

I've heard better hi-fis elsewhere but very rarely better music.
:lol:

jandl100
05-04-2014, 08:18
We like our own systems best because we chose them carefully to match our own tastes and preferences. :bulb:

There's no great mystery, really. ;)

Macca
05-04-2014, 08:31
Interesting question. We can't all have the best sounding system :)

There were at least half a dozen systems at Scalford in 2012 that were considerably better than what I had at the time. I've heard a couple of systems belonging to members here and they were also 'better' although I did think how much better they would have sounded in my room since the room is often a big compromise, especially at Scalford.

But I have made quite few changes (i.e everything) since then and I think I am now approaching something that will take the Pepsi challenge with anything. With digital source that is because I have heard quite a few turntable set ups that would blow mine out of the water, but again held back by the room and sometimes the speakers too. I'm just not prepared to lavish the money required to get the vinyl playing end up to that sort of standard.

John
05-04-2014, 08:46
We like our own systems best because we chose them carefully to match our own tastes and preferences. :bulb:

There's no great mystery, really. ;)

Tend to agree with Jerry around this. Our systems are very geared to our preferences

Reffc
05-04-2014, 09:29
Indeed.

There's an expectation when we hear other systems where we unconsciously (or consciously) compare with our own, or where we'd like our own to be, and it's usually out of context with the listening environment we're used to. We can still appreciate other systems though as our own will have weaknesses and strengths and others may have strengths where ours does not. One thing is for certain though...there's no such thing as the "perfect" system.

MartinT
05-04-2014, 13:19
True - but when you attend a live (unamplified) classical concert, you realise how far we have to go!

Agreed.

agk
05-04-2014, 14:24
Tend to agree with Jerry around this. Our systems are very geared to our preferences

I'll agree with that.

The Barbarian
05-04-2014, 15:59

The reason i cannot understand when people say this that & the other is crap..

Marco
05-04-2014, 17:19
Sometimes equipment superficially dismissed as "crap" has simply been assessed in the wrong context... ;)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
05-04-2014, 17:52
Well, yes.
I often say there are actually very few truly bad components - just some poor combinations. Hence my stance on Geoff's clunkers thread.

MartinT
05-04-2014, 18:05
There are some...

...such as the Helius arm I mentioned.

kenworthy100
05-04-2014, 18:14
I have heard numerous systems that are better than mine and conversely a good many that are far worse, some that I just wouldn't be able to live with.

That being said I have reached a point with the couple of rigs I own that I can listen to an array of different musical genres and thoroughly enjoy the results, for me that was my main ambition.

Marco
06-04-2014, 16:33
There are some...

...such as the Helius arm I mentioned.

Unmitigated Pishanto?

Marco.

Jimbo
07-04-2014, 09:45
I would like to hear some other systems but it is difficult finding anyone else with a system at all in my social group. I am in Birmingham area so if any AOS folk would like a guest listener please post me:eyebrows :lol:

Yomanze
07-04-2014, 10:12
Unmitigated Pishanto?

Marco.

Some Helius arms did have shaky construction indeed. However the newer ones are leagues ahead.

Spectral Morn
07-04-2014, 11:31
I use the opportunity as an open minded learning situation. Listening to different kit in different rooms is always educational.

Often room issues hold systems back, as do poorly matched equipment, however sometimes the sound, while poor and lacking for the visiting listener is exactly what the owner of the system wants, so is it a failure because we don't like it? Not necessarily entirely if it floats the boat of the owner. Sadly suggestions of how to improve things is not always asked for, or indeed welcome if offered. I guess in away systems are like children, the parents are proud, sometimes have selective, or parental blindness and don't want the flaws of their precious one analysed or mentioned.

I have often heard systems that are slightly better, better in some areas not others, and vastly better and sometimes for less money than the net-worth of my system. As I said above I view it as a learning experience and its often fun to try and figure out what's going on, is wrong, from my perspective of course.

Regards Neil

Barry
07-04-2014, 13:21
Good post Neil.

I have heard many systems that in some respects are clearly better than mine: usually in bass extension and weight as well as dynamic range. But they are often compromised in other areas that are important to me: clarity and neutrality and focus.

As such, whilst initially impressed when I return to my own system I do not find myself disappointed. I hope this doesn't come across as sounding smug; my system has many faults, but I have learnt to live with its shorcomings for it does do well. And it provides me with enormous pleasure; being in use for several hours a day when I'm at home.