PDA

View Full Version : Behringer active x-over (CX3400)?

jasonC
02-04-2014, 14:37
what is a Behringer active x-over (CX3400) used for?
i read elsewhere about someone using one to turn their system into an active system but i'm confused how a Behringer active x-over (CX3400)
would bring that about as it seems to be a PA mixing device though i'm no expect so i'm asking you clever people. :)
i'm not that clever so no tech words plzzz :)

Reffc
02-04-2014, 15:43
Its what it says, an active crossover that fits between sources/preamp and power amps (you need a power amp for each output from it). It uses Linkwitz Riley filter slopes for a summed flat response and the outputs go to each driver in a 2 or 3 way speaker so you have one section filtering the low frequencies, another filtering HF or mid/hf. You can adjust the frequency of crossover as well as phase (time delay) between units so can tailor it for a wide variety of speakers. It's actually a very good device if you intend going down the active route, more so because it accepts unbalanced XLR inputs meaning you can use an RCA to XLR lead as an input for each channel. You would need to buy the requisite number of power amps (Behringer also provide these and inexpensively too) to power each drive unit.

The main difference between this approach and a passive system, is that you normally feed power from an integrated or from power amps through a crossover built into speakers. The crossover then splits the frequencies (as well as affecting phase response). With this system, the power amp stage comes after the crossover which can be fine tuned to eliminate phase anomolies plus the bass (power hungry) section benefits from a dedicated power source.

jasonC
02-04-2014, 16:55
thanks for that, so you can use passive speakers and they will work like active
would power amps by Behringer be as good as say a power amp from a hifi maker?
do they use cheaper parts or do they just have a smaller mark up?
pro amps do seem to be alot cheaper then hifi power amps

Reffc
02-04-2014, 16:57
Indeed you can but you have to bypass the speakers internal crossover.

Behringer amps are fine as hifi amps. Its not the quality of components as much as the circuit design, quality of power supply and component tolerances/values which are important.

jasonC
02-04-2014, 17:04
thanks for helping me understand it more.