PDA

View Full Version : Kef Q35.2 to Q15.2 "hacksaw conversion"

Utterchaos
01-04-2014, 09:37
This is going to be a horrid thread.. sorry.. so non-audiophile and a bit scuzzy but here goes..

I have a new TV Stand that is too long to fit my Q35.2s at either end so i need some bookshelf speakers, probably DM601 S2s or similar even some Q15.2s?... I didn't have a Sub when I originally bought them so the missing bass from the "bookies" should be compensated for...

Problem is my budget. I was going to sell the Q35.2s to help fund my new speakers but they have slightly distorted drivers. It doesn't seem to affect the sound and they still sound way better then the Wharfedale 8.1s I attempted to replace them with but the driver issue will greatly reduce there re-sell value £20?.

So.... My plan now is to chop the bottoms off to effectively make a pair of Q15.2s.

Q15.2 are selling for about £100 inc. postage. If i can do it well enough.. what's the difference? If it works... I get speakers I need for free, with the option to upgrade properly later when finances are better.

Any thoughts/comments/criticisms or even.... advice on how to do it?

Please bare in mind, this is my 5.1 system and I like DDigital.. so don't tell me to sell everything and get a vintage classic ;)

Cheers.

agk
01-04-2014, 11:32
Well I shall wade in.

First thought. Get rid of the TV stand.

I seem to remember you are into movies and TV though so I assume that's not an option you would entertain.

What is this "distortion" you mention, audible or physical?

Shame you are so far away as I'd be interested in a trade depending on the answer to my previous.

Other than that I'd say you'd be mental to chop the speaks down to be quite frank.

Gordon Steadman
01-04-2014, 11:37
Sounds like a disaster of an idea to me:doh:.

There is no guarantee that the smaller speakers would work the way you think, the crossover would need changing too I'm sure. In any case, unless you are an ace woodworker, the value in the speakers will disappear with the hacksaw.:(

Why not cut the TV table down instead?

Beobloke
01-04-2014, 11:49
It's after midday - you can own up now!

:lol:

synsei
01-04-2014, 11:54
The danger here is that if it all goes pear shaped, and in that respect I agree with other posters here, you could be left with no speakers at all. Do you really want to take that risk? My advice would be to save for a pair of Q15.2's and rearrange your room so you can use the 15.2's as rears and the 35.2's in the front L/R positions. if you are on a budget look for a pair of KEF Cresta's on ebay where one speaker exhibits some damage, maybe a pushed in tweeter or damaged cabinet. The good unit could be utilised as a centre speaker in which case ;)

Utterchaos
01-04-2014, 11:56
TV cab is big gloss black and un-chop-able... and I like it (as well as bits of me that I'd loose) :)

It's a physical distortion of the cone. Gives it wavy edges... here a pic of one like it that was on ebay a while back... (mines not quite that bad though)

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mixGLuurGVWdJSpxBCHKIOw.jpg

Would happily do a swap.. what do you have in mind? I'm sure postage would be worth it.. for me anyway!

Reckon I could do a good job in cutting down.. have circular bench saw and then vinyl wrap them after... right about the crossovers though... deferent part numbers... can't be that far off though...

LoL.. yes.. sadly not an April Fool joke!! LoL

Utterchaos
01-04-2014, 12:02
Oh.. can't rearrange lounge... got MS rears and a ket centre already.. good idea though..

TBH.. I recon the £20 is worth the risk of messing it up... problem is.. even if I do manage to do it perfectly.. would it work sonically?

Unless someone out there want's them... will swap for a mid-range bookshelf? :)

Utterchaos
01-04-2014, 12:05
Just spotted a replacement driver on fleeBay for £20.... could be a solution....

agk
01-04-2014, 12:06
Posting speakers is a shit.
Can't see your pic and am having a mare finding similar online, wonder if KEF have been busy.

Utterchaos
01-04-2014, 12:13
yup. I'd use Heremes cos they're cheep. need a BIG box though...

Hosting the image myself now... P.S. can get pics of my actual speakers this afternoon if you are actually interested....

http://www.chaos23.co.uk/Wavy%20speakers.jpg

agk
01-04-2014, 12:24
Looking at that I don't fancy it to be honest. There's something very wrong there that I reckon would lead to coil damage eventually.
Let's face it, shipping would also be a major pita dude.

Utterchaos
01-04-2014, 13:12
yeah.. reckon I'll stick a new driver in them and eBay 'em.

Cheers all though... the saw stays put.