PDA

View Full Version : Hifi is not valuable

MikeMusic
31-03-2014, 17:00
That's what LV Insurance tell me anyway.

I had the horrors when I noticed all my careful calculations were not shown on my schedule and rang them up.

"Valuables" are things like jewellery. Small stuff, high value

Hifi is not "valuables" because it is too big and has to be unplugged and not so easy to nick

Of course cartridges may well be considered "valuable"

anthonyTD
31-03-2014, 17:07
hi Mike,
Your probably better off itemizing your system, and insuring it separate from your usual household items, that's the only sure way you have of them ever paying out anywhere near what its worth.
A...
That's what LV Insurance tell me anyway.

I had the horrors when I noticed all my careful calculations were not shown on my schedule and rang them up.

"Valuables" are things like jewellery. Small stuff, high value

Hifi is not "valuables" because it is too big and has to be unplugged and not so easy to nick

Of course cartridges may well be considered "valuable"

AlexM
31-03-2014, 17:19
If you really want to insure it for something close to its replacement cost, you would need an agreed value policy I think. This lists it separately from general household contents or small valuables such as engagement rings etc. I suspect that you may end up paying a lot more as most general insurers don't cater for that sort of policy, although some do (Aviva & NFU do IIRC).

Spend some time on the Web insurance portals, and add as much detail as you can to the quote. Some insurers will liaise with their underwriters to get specific cover agreed.

Good luck - it is always a pain. ..

Regards,
Alex

The Barbarian
31-03-2014, 17:21
Why not buy a load of junk like i do, burglars turn their nose up when they break in, even the water runs away when you get a flood

:D

agk
31-03-2014, 18:17
So true. I got burgled a few years back and the morons stole all of my trousers but left the 303.

Puffin
31-03-2014, 18:44
"Trinkets ma boy....mere trinkets"

1. a small or worthless ornament or piece of jewellery
2. a trivial object; trifle

PaulStewart
31-03-2014, 20:16
So true. I got burgled a few years back and the morons stole all of my trousers but left the 303.

That's pants :lol:

On a more serious note, When I had a Koestsu damaged (I didn't kill the cleaner, I must be calming down in old age), the loss adjuster tried to claim that the Koetsu/SME IV/Orbe were all one "Record Player" and as such, exceeded the £5000 per individual item on my policy. It took a lot of argument to get that changed. I now have direct line wanting a list, with agreed values of all the LPs, Well I needed an excuse to get them catalogued and the Rare Record guide puts my first press, black stamp with all inserts The Who Live At Leeds at £300 and the first press Beatles Let it Be box set at £700... Bloody Hell :)

walpurgis
31-03-2014, 20:20

Wise choice. I'd have left the 303 too. :)

SLS
31-03-2014, 20:56
I had an Austin Metro once. Hoped someone would nick it but no one did. Someone took a coat from the back seat and the radio, but left the car. B****rds. That radio was worst audio device I ever owned, or possibly the door speakers.
The only thing I value about that car is the memory of pushing it uphill in the snow.

Marco
31-03-2014, 22:14

Ah yes, that'll have been the notorious gang of chavs, going around Norfolk, stealing elasticated jogging bottoms, bought from Matalan. Consider yourself lucky you didn't have any shell suits!

Marco.

MikeMusic
01-04-2014, 07:29
hi Mike,
Your probably better off itemizing your system, and insuring it separate from your usual household items, that's the only sure way you have of them ever paying out anywhere near what its worth.
A...
I'm fairly happy its covered.
Need to note all serial numbers and take pics

MikeMusic
01-04-2014, 07:30
If you really want to insure it for something close to its replacement cost, you would need an agreed value policy I think. This lists it separately from general household contents or small valuables such as engagement rings etc. I suspect that you may end up paying a lot more as most general insurers don't cater for that sort of policy, although some do (Aviva & NFU do IIRC).

Spend some time on the Web insurance portals, and add as much detail as you can to the quote. Some insurers will liaise with their underwriters to get specific cover agreed.

Good luck - it is always a pain. ..

Regards,
Alex

Most companies and probably comparison sites have a "Audio Equipment" bit. Likely due to the amount of high priced TV and surround sound systems

MikeMusic
01-04-2014, 07:32
On a more serious note, When I had a Koestsu damaged (I didn't kill the cleaner, I must be calming down in old age), the loss adjuster tried to claim that the Koetsu/SME IV/Orbe were all one "Record Player" and as such, exceeded the £5000 per individual item on my policy. It took a lot of argument to get that changed. I now have direct line wanting a list, with agreed values of all the LPs, Well I needed an excuse to get them catalogued and the Rare Record guide puts my first press, black stamp with all inserts The Who Live At Leeds at £300 and the first press Beatles Let it Be box set at £700... Bloody Hell :)

I shall be aware of the 'record player' trick.
Also need to do some work on the LPs and CDs.
I must have some valuable ones there. No idea on value.

Barry
01-04-2014, 19:08
Insurance companies usually regard anything that can be picked up separately as "one item". So a record player, consisting of the turntable, arm and cartridge is regarded as a single item, and could well exceed the single item limit.

Record collections are not regarded as a single item as it would be impossible to pick them up as a collection. Each record or CD is regarded as a single item.