PDA

View Full Version : Change of name?

DaveK
26-03-2014, 10:52
Welcome to the new Midlands Audio sales web page.
Dave.

Marco
26-03-2014, 10:55
Sorry, Dave, I don't understand the point of this thread? :scratch:

Marco.

NRG
26-03-2014, 11:02
I think Dave is referring to the 1.5 pages of F/S items just posted in one hit in the trade section…

Edit: they are just BUMPs...

YNWaN
26-03-2014, 11:07
Yeah, 31 individual new threads advertising gear for sale is rather taking the piss IMO.

Marco
26-03-2014, 11:08
I think Dave is referring to the 1.5 pages of F/S items just posted in one hit in the trade section…

Too cryptic, then - he should have just spat it out! ;)

I have no issue with dealers posting ads, as it's what that part of the forum is for. The way to avoid ploughing through it all is to stop clicking on 'New Posts', and simply dip into the areas of the forum that interest you the most, thus neatly side-stepping the pish you wish to avoid - simples!

We've been here before :)

Marco.

[P.S I'm moving this to 'Critic's Corner', as it's got nothing to with hi-fi].

Marco
26-03-2014, 11:10
Yeah, 31 individual new threads advertising gear for sale is rather taking the piss IMO.

Indeed (just looked). I'll have a word with John and ask him to condense all his future ads into one thread at a time.

Marco.

DaveK
26-03-2014, 13:05
The way to avoid ploughing through it all is to stop clicking on 'New Posts', and simply dip into the areas of the forum that interest you the most, thus neatly side-stepping the pish you wish to avoid - simples!

Marco.

Sorry Marco but I've got to disagree (not for the first time ;) ). Limiting my viewing to just the areas that interest me limits the use of the forum for me. How do I know whether any post interests me until I look at least at the title. One of the purposes of the forum for me, and I suspect many others, is to read other peoples' opinions and experiences.
Dave.

Audio Al
26-03-2014, 13:21
I cant see a problem :scratch:, Trade add's in the Trade section OK with me , BUT WHO am I :)

YNWaN
26-03-2014, 13:56
Well, there are two potential issues -first it pushes all other trade ads back a couple of pages and makes it look like MAE are the only trade advertisers and secondly, if you use the 'New Posts' button you just see two pages of MAE ads.

YNWaN
26-03-2014, 14:12
They do now pay a fee.

YNWaN
26-03-2014, 14:33
I don't know what you mean by 'their own pitch'? Trade members pay an annual fee and this allows them to advertise in the trade section - but that doesn't mean they can push every other paying trade ad pages back by posting loads of individual threads.

Marco
26-03-2014, 15:41
Sorry Marco but I've got to disagree (not for the first time ;) ). Limiting my viewing to just the areas that interest me limits the use of the forum for me. How do I know whether any post interests me until I look at least at the title. One of the purposes of the forum for me, and I suspect many others, is to read other peoples' opinions and experiences.
Dave.

That's fine, Dave. It's how I use the forum, though, and I don't find it limiting at all.

There are many sections of the forum I hardly ever read, either due to lack of interest in the subject matter (such as most of the digital, DIY or AV threads), or a simple lack of time. Analogue Art or Blank Canvas is where I mostly 'live', unless I'm checking out what folk are listening to in the music room.

Highlighting traders posting multiple adverts on separate threads has been useful, as I agree that it is unacceptable, so I'll be placing a new rule in the trade room which will state that ads for multiple items must in future be condensed into one thread.

Furthermore, new posts containing simply the word 'bump', in order to return a particular ad to the top of the page, will also no longer be permitted, and if posted, removed. The success, or otherwise, of trade adverts must simply be allowed to 'evolve' naturally.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, which has been useful :)

Marco.

Tim
26-03-2014, 17:23
I have to say I am in total agreement with Dave (for a change ;)) that is rather annoying and in my mind taking the mick. In fact I probably wouldn't buy anything from MAD now as that type of cheap trick really ticks me off!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/Rant.gif (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/greatgig/media/Rant.gif.html)

Marco
26-03-2014, 17:39
In fact I probably wouldn't buy anything from MAD now as that type of cheap trick really ticks me off!

MAD? That's just you being DAFT. I presume you mean MAE, as in Midland Audio Exchange (or max, as they prefer to be known as)? :eyebrows:

Point taken, though, and noted!

Marco.

Tim
26-03-2014, 17:50
MAD? That's just you being DAFT. Well we all know I'm MAD :wheniwasaboy:

Shame the Trade is getting a little too prominent really. A prime reason I was attracted to AoS was the lack of it, but I guess that's progress? I have no problem with those that contribute, in fact I enjoy it and you learn a lot, but when its clearly profit driven and nothing else, it kind of detracts away from what made AoS stand out from the crowd and elevated its status above the others. All IMHO of course.

EDIT:
Hahaha, I just hit 6,000 posts with that - I was hoping to make it a little more memorable, but I guess a grumpy post from a practising curmudgeon is rather apt ;)

Marco
26-03-2014, 19:56
Shame the Trade is getting a little too prominent really. A prime reason I was attracted to AoS was the lack of it, but I guess that's progress?

It depends on how you look at it, dude.

As the forum grows and becomes more influential (in terms of the hits it gets, and in turn, the Google exposure its contents generates, particularly the ads posted in the trade room, which may attract potential customers), it's only natural that more dealers will come to AoS and see value in advertising there.

I take that as a compliment (as in essence it is), and so view it as a positive, although I can fully understand why others would justifiably feel differently about it.

However, with more dealers comes more choice of potentially interesting kit to obtain, which otherwise may have passed our members by, and when some traders, such as Reffc, Paul Hynes, Stan Beresford, Tony, from Coherent, Guy Sergeant, from Puresound, and Radlett Audio (amongst others) take AoS to their hearts, by contributing to discussions out with of the trade room, we all benefit from their knowledge and experience - and that can only be a good thing.

Of course, not every dealer joining is a) going to have the time to contribute in that way, or b) even want to do so in the first place. They may simply wish to advertise their wares and be done with it, which is fine, and just the nature of the beast.

However, quite simply, if for every twenty new dealers joining the forum we gain someone of the calibre of any of those mentioned above, then the popularity amongst the trade for advertising on AoS can realistically be only viewed as a positive :)

EDIT:
Hahaha, I just hit 6,000 posts with that - I was hoping to make it a little more memorable, but I guess a grumpy post from a practising curmudgeon is rather apt...

I look forward to another 6000 from you of equal grumpyness! ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
26-03-2014, 19:57
Trade Sellers pay for this service so therefore have a right to use AOS as a window to their wares, after all its what they are paying for, so I have no issue with them posting their wares and not contributing elsewhere.

If a vendor has just got a big shipment in of items then they should be able to post them up and I for one have no issue with this. The issue with one post only is it means one could miss out on an item because its lost in a narrow all encompassing post, whereas specific items being listed allows one to see it immediately. It would be too easy I feel for items to fall between the cracks if this isn't the case.

On a personal note MAX are great people to buy from and are a pleasure to deal with unlike some other very high end dealers who don't give a toss if you buy or don't.

Regards Neil

Tim
26-03-2014, 20:02
Trade Sellers pay for this service so therefore have a right to use AOS as a window to their wares,
Maybe they do Neil, but 30 odd posts in a row is spamming!

There are some very creditable Trade members here who behave impeccably and there are those that take the piss - we all know who they are!

Spectral Morn
26-03-2014, 20:06
Maybe they do Neil, but 30 odd posts in a row is spamming!

There are some very creditable Trade members here who behave impeccably and there are those that take the piss - we all know who they are!

I don't agree as some of these were updates as to items being sold and prices dropped - just had a look. I think if the facility was free then fare enough I would agree with you but it isn't free so they have a right to sell their wares and get value for the fee they paid.

To my mind spamming would be jumping into every non trade thread and ramming goods in folks faces, sometimes with no relation whatsoever to what's being discussed and that is something that has occurred in the past.

Regards Neil

Marco
26-03-2014, 20:10
On a personal note MAX are great people to buy from and are a pleasure to deal with unlike some other very high end dealers who don't give a toss if you buy or don't.

Hear, hear! I've bought many things in the past from John and always received impeccable service. He's also a genuine music-lover! Have you seen the size of his music collection? :eek:

John's most certainly one of the good guys in the industry, although like I said, a new thread for every piece of kit advertised won't be allowed by any dealer in future.

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2014, 10:43
Can I suggest a simple method of bypassing the contents of any section of the site that you don't want to see?

If you are offended by trade ads, just go to the front page of the Trade Impressions section and then click 'Forum Tools' (top right, just below the page number links). Now select the 'Mark This Forum Read' option. That prevents anything in that forum up to that time, from showing up in the list of new posts.

Simple.
Of course this will work for any other forum too.

YNWaN
01-04-2014, 11:27
Ah, very good - thanks :); I had thought that this only worked until there were new posts.

Marco
01-04-2014, 12:27
Good shout, Chris!

Marco.

YNWaN
01-04-2014, 16:16
On further inspection, I'm not so sure it is of much use. Doesn't it just blanket cover the whole section of the forum? What if you want to see trade announcements but not advertisements?

Marco
01-04-2014, 16:32
What if you want to see trade announcements but not advertisements?

Did anyone ever tell you, Mark, that you are a right fussy bugger! :D

The phrase 'you can't always have your cake and eat it' comes to mind... ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
01-04-2014, 19:27
I'm not fussy, I'm just particular.... ;)

Marco
01-04-2014, 20:09
LOL! :D

Marco.

AlanS
24-04-2014, 15:49
Looks like MAX has reverted or developed amnesia. I won't be buying from him for his abuse of the recent agreement.

Marco
24-04-2014, 16:47
Sorted ;)

Marco.

AlanS
24-04-2014, 17:00
Sorted ;)

Marco.
Sorry to gripe but he was OTT before. Give em an inch

Marco
24-04-2014, 17:06
Not sure if John had read the new rules before he posted the ads, but he has now. See my response in the trade room.

Marco.