PDA

View Full Version : To listen to Stereo as it's "meant to be heard" or indulge in Pro Logic II...

Utterchaos
19-03-2014, 14:18
Hi All,

I have an AV amp powering my main system.. an Onkyo 609. I have a pair of Q35.2s Bi-Amped, a ~£250 Tannoy Sub, Mordan Short rears a Kef centre of some description and a Raspberry Pi running squeeze-slave feeding 24/96 ALACs via HDMI.

And I'm ashamed...:o

I think I prefer Dolby Pro Logic II to Stereo (or even 2.1). I feel like I'm disgracing the artists vision...

Maybe it's that my main Q35s are too small for my room (6m wide and 5m STT (sofa-to-TV))

Should I be burned as a heretic? Your views....

agk
19-03-2014, 14:22
Yes. Sell the amp and your eclectic collection of speakers and buy a stereo setup.

Utterchaos
19-03-2014, 14:26
Ah, no can do... need the 5.1 for movies..... I was thinking of getting a different Onkyo, with pre-out fronts and running my NAD or Onix as the front amp...

Eclectic? Really? 3 front Kefs and I chose the MS's cos they're solid coned.. like the Kefs... Are they really that badly matched? Sub's a sub, no?

agk
19-03-2014, 14:33
Three brands would seem fairly eclectic to me but then I'm not a devotee of surround sound and don't even possess a tv.
When I did own a tv I preferred to keep things stereo as music is my priority and as long as bangs were big I was happy.

m10
19-03-2014, 15:10
I went through a phase of using DTS Neo:6 for music listening and felt that it was rather sympathetic tithe music - adding a dimension while not making a dog's dinner of it. That said, I've moved away from that now and keep to the stereo pair exclusively for two channel as I find the sound three dimensional enough as it stands (unless it's TV content, or movies in which case Pro Logic II is essential, I find). SACD and other surround stuff is an entirely different matter.

Don't feel bad for using Pro Logic though, I'd say - it's an intelligent way of adding a little depth and if you enjoy it you should continue to do so, in my opinion.

chris@panteg
19-03-2014, 15:38
Hi All,

I have an AV amp powering my main system.. an Onkyo 609. I have a pair of Q35.2s Bi-Amped, a ~£250 Tannoy Sub, Mordan Short rears a Kef centre of some description and a Raspberry Pi running squeeze-slave feeding 24/96 ALACs via HDMI.

And I'm ashamed...:o

I think I prefer Dolby Pro Logic II to Stereo (or even 2.1). I feel like I'm disgracing the artists vision...

Maybe it's that my main Q35s are too small for my room (6m wide and 5m STT (sofa-to-TV))

Yes you should be burned as heretic! The Grand inquisitor will be along shortly to begin an auto de fe.

No don't fret if that's how you like it, why not?

Utterchaos
19-03-2014, 15:41
I recon the ideal would be to have two set-ups and spend more on the components, but ATM I've not got the cash!

yes... DTS NEO also sounds good..

I just can't help it! .. I switch to Stereo... and listen .. nice ... back to Pro Logic or DTS Neo and Wow!... good balanced music from everywhere!!

Guilty pleasure!! Bob's Legend just in Pure Audio just sounds fantastic!!

Obviously 5.1 SACDs are as you say, a different kettle of fish. I have a 2.0 set up in the office which I enjoy too, but inly 1.5m aware from those speakers..

Just seen Chris' reply too ... Phew!... also... LOVE Withnail!!

Mr Kipling
19-03-2014, 20:48

YES!! And that would be too good for you, in my book. If I could, my hands would be coming out of your screen and be giving you damn good throttling.

Like the avatar.

Utterchaos
30-03-2014, 00:14
"Like"

Ingo Bingo
16-09-2014, 10:44
Been there Chaos too.

Trying to get musical stereo out of an Av setup and in the last month now have 2 different systems. Forutnately the AV speakers are all in walls / Ceilings.

Anyway with a bit of searching and waiting my stereo sounds superb and buying second hand trawling forums and Ebay it came in at under £250. Its a start anyway lol, i know upgraditis will follow as it did with AV.

Pete