PDA

View Full Version : Which amp?

ballymenaman
14-03-2014, 18:03
Hello

I'm new to the forum.

I have been using a Denon PMA350II amp with my Planar 2 deck (new AT95 cartridge), Marantz CD6004 CD player and Focal Chorus 726V speakers in a 5m x 5m room. Listen mostly to rock/easy listening. Occasionally jazz/blues/classical.I find the Denon very bland and lacking detail. The soundstage is almost non existant.

I knew the amp was/is the weak spot in this budget system. Early last year I bought a Marantz PM7200 amp off ebay, which turned out to be faulty (after I'd missed my chance to return it!). When it was working I found it to be a bit bass heavy in the 'direct' mode. I ended up using the bass tone control to temper it a bit. All in all, I found the amp to be a bit unremarkable. Anyway, it's in for repair now. If it can be economically repaired, I think I'll probably sell it. The other thing is that the PM7200 runs very hot and can't be kept in a cabinet (which I want to do).

On impulse, last week, I bought a Primare i21, off ebay again (you'll never learn you say!!!). Struck me as being a bargain at £299. This operated for 15 mins before the right channel cut out and smoke started coming from the innards. I don't know whether:- I'm jinxed or the couriers treat parcels like footballs or the sellers on ebay are dishonest. Maybe it's all three! Anyway - for the 15 mins it did work IT WAS A REVELATION!!! Big, wide, detailed, and lovely. The build quality and design of the amp also blew me away. It was a thing of beauty. Needless to say I'm looking for another one.

My question is - can I do better?

I should add - I have a budget of no more than £600.

Thanks for any advice.

mr sneff
14-03-2014, 18:25
Hi Andy, with a budget of £600 is it worth getting the Primare repaired?

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 18:29
Try a Temple Audio Bantam Gold, or the monoblocks. Way under your budget, but don't let that put you off.

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 18:32
Then buy an Acutex M312 MM cart from Ebay ( search Acutex worldwide) , and spend the rest on more music!

ballymenaman
14-03-2014, 18:32
Hi Andy, with a budget of £600 is it worth getting the Primare repaired?

I've already sent it back I'm afraid. Couldn't take the risk of a repair being economical and only had 7 days to return it.

ballymenaman
14-03-2014, 18:38
I've never heard of Temple Audio. Interesting!
Would the Bantam Gold at 25w be enough to drive my Focal Chorus 726Vs?

vouk
14-03-2014, 18:38
Hi Andy,

Welcome to AOS!

If you liked the I20, you might want to look for its bigger brother, the I30. A good used example should be within your budget. It's a really good amp and, unless you have done something to really anger the gods, should last for a long, long time.

Cheers
J.

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 18:41
I've never heard of Temple Audio. Interesting!
Would the Bantam Gold at 25w be enough to drive my Focal Chorus 726Vs?

Yes, I'd say so, I looked up the specs of your speakers, they are pretty sensitive and seem a reasonable load. There are a good few peeps here who use these amps. They punch way above their asking price IMHO.

http://www.templeaudio.net/bantamgold.html

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 18:43
In any case, you could go for the 40w monoblocks if you feel you'd want more power. Pretty sure they do a trial scheme, so you could give them a go without risk.

selby
14-03-2014, 18:44
Acutex, never heard of that brand. How would it compete with a Ortofon 2M Red?

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 18:48
Dunno, not heard one. Wasn't embarrassed by my 103r though. Yes, the Denon had a little more air and space at the top end, but the Acutex equals or betters it everywhere else to my ears, a great result given the cost methinks.

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 18:49
Oh, and does stonking bass.

selby
14-03-2014, 18:53
Now I just need to find one...none on eBay at the moment.

ballymenaman
14-03-2014, 18:53
How would you rate the Arcam FMJA18 for my needs?

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 18:59
Now I just need to find one...none on eBay at the moment.

Here you go-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESTINA-ACUTEX-M-312-III-STR-PUNTINA-PER-GIRADISCHI-INTROVABILE-STYLUS-FOR-NUOVA-/261423333248?pt=Altro_Audio_da_Casa&hash=item3cde0b7f80

You need to search worldwide. I've bought two from him. Google the cart, there's a lot of love for it on the vinyl forums.

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 19:01
Worth buying one for a spare if nothing else. I suspect you'll change your mind about t being a spare once you hear it though..

vouk
14-03-2014, 19:11
How would you rate the Arcam FMJA18 for my needs?

I am not familiar with your particular speakers but the Focals I know thrive on clean, hefty power; don't know if the A18 would be an ideal choice or match. Plus, Arcam and Primare have a rather distinctly different sonic signature (though admittedly I haven't heard that many Arcam products).

guy
14-03-2014, 19:16
Hi Balleymenaman,

I have a Denon PMA350 SE which I use in the study (with mac mini and a pair of TDL RTL2). It sounds fine but not in the same class as the Naim or Onix amps which I was using in my main system until recently (LP12, Ittok, DV20X, Rega Ela).

However, I have been lucky enough to get an NVA P50, A40 monoblock system second hand and that has changed my perception (all for the better) of both my vinyl collection and remainder of my system (Even makes my CD player more enjoyable :more:). Pisses all over the Naim Nait and Onix in terms of detail retrieval, pace, balance, soundstage, perception of rhythm etc. I have enjoyed tracks on albums that I would normally avoid thanks to the presentation of the NVA amps.
I use it in conjunction with an Edwards Apprentice phono stage for vinyl and total set up came in at way below £600.

Worth having a look for NVA on Ebay - direct sales, so better value, and money back if not satisfied in any way (can't say better than that in my view).
There is an NVA P50 A40 set available second hand on another forum at present, which would come in below your target.

best wishes in your search. Guy.

ballymenaman
14-03-2014, 19:18
There's a Primare 30.1 for sale on this forum - would that sound the same as the i21? Does £500 sound reasonable for it?

vouk
14-03-2014, 19:32
There's a Primare 30.1 for sale on this forum - would that sound the same as the i21? Does £500 sound reasonable for it?

The 30.1, though an older design, is a very, very good amplifier - good grip and plenty of power. If it's in mint condition, 500 would indeed be quite reasonable.

Spectral Morn
14-03-2014, 20:10
Hi Andy

Welcome to AOS.

If you have repair problems in the future I suggest you contact these folks directly Rodney Hanna is a very talented repair guy and loves a challenge, prices reasonable. https://plus.google.com/110499838345089790108/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Regards Neil

ballymenaman
14-03-2014, 21:22
Hi Neil.
Thanks for that.
There's a chap here near Kells in County Antrim who is also very good - Billy Marks. It's him I've left the PM7200 with.
I just couldn't risk it with the Primare as I wouldn't have been able to send it back to the seller. When I saw the smoke coming out of it I assumed major catastrophe!!
Andy