PDA

View Full Version : Source and Amp combinations

raygreen
14-03-2014, 15:40
Does anyone think there is any benefit to having the same manufacturers amp and CD in the same system? Should these, in theory, produce a smoother sound?

Reffc
14-03-2014, 16:41
Does anyone think there is any benefit to having the same manufacturers amp and CD in the same system? Should these, in theory, produce a smoother sound?

How long is a piece of string?

Some components from the same manufacturer are designed to work well together;

Some components from the same manufacturer are not specifically designed with each other in mind although the marketing blurb may tell you otherwise;

Some components from different manufacturers work together in perfect harmony;

Some don't.

You can have perfectly matched amp and CDP and play through poor speakers and no end of throwing money at source components will improve matters. You can have superlative speakers and poorly designed source components, similar result.

If you're having an issue (reading between the lines) with the "smoothness" of the sound you currently have, can you define more specifically what it is you think you don't have and what it is you think is the problem (or am I way off here?)

When it comes to many components (especially speakers) the business model can be very simple indeed: Produce something that works (not great and not even needing to be that special) with a marketing spin or handle giving it an edge (be that fashionable looks, the latest tech or whatever); stock it in the cheapest box you can for the most profit you can and sell it until it is no longer flavour of the month. Many larger manufacturers do just this. Cynical but true...to an extent. Essentially, their products will work equally as well with other manufacturers kit providing that the specifications are broadly compatible. eg you wouldn't get on well matching a preamp with very high output impedance to a power amp with very low input impedance. Equally, you wouldn't do well to match a 5wpc SET amp with B&W 802D's. Some things work and some don't so it is the onus on the buyer to do a little homework or seek advice before parting with their hard earned crust.

raygreen
14-03-2014, 21:14
Ask a silly question..................

Thanks Reffc! I have an Arcam Amp and Arcam Alpha CD (2nd generation I think so quite old now). I think they work quite well together personally, although I suppose i have nothing to compare them with. Considering a couple options at the moment without spending a fortune.

I fancy trying one of the Stable Platter Pioneer CD's which you can pick up at a very reasonable price. I have heard good reviews on them. Also trying out a DAC. I think my question was to get a few opinion from others but I kind of guessed this was the obvious answer. Thanks for your reply though.

Ali Tait
14-03-2014, 21:25
The Pioneers are good even in their own right, and make very good transports once you buy a dac IMHO.

Try one of these if you are looking for a good low cost dac-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Finished-2496-AK4396-CS8416-DAC-With-Transformer-case-/120747012438?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item1c1d153156

Don't let the low price put you off, the dac chip has been used in some pricey gear in the past. The op amp on the output stage is socketed, so dead easy to change for something better, which can give great results for a few quid.

Reffc
15-03-2014, 10:30
Hi Ray

the digital game has moved on significantly since the advent of the Arcam Alpha (that was my first CDP). I personally would look to a newer CDP which allows digital inputs so that you can benefit from the inboard DAC and stream music from other digital sources whilst still being able to play your CD collection. I wouldn't be looking to swap one elderly transport for another equally elderly transport no-matter who says what in reviews. My personal opinion, not a statement of fact. Just check the classifieds and Ebay. Some ridiculous bargains to be had on higher end CDPs for relatively little money. That's where my money would go in the same position as you.

raygreen
15-03-2014, 20:34
Any particular CDP you would recommend in this modern digital age? I also have a lot of music now on Mac and iphone (exclusively as downloads).