PDA

View Full Version : Denon 103R - Retipped by Expert Stylus Co.

shahsy
26-06-2009, 20:58
My Denon 103R was returned to me today by The Expert Stylus Co. with a replaced cantilever and their paratrace stylus.

All I can say is wow, campared to the stock one!

s

Mike
26-06-2009, 21:04
I always did think those things would be better with a decent rock on the end! :)

RobHolt
26-06-2009, 21:43
Very interested to hear what you make of it as the tip is my only real downer with the 103 series. What do ESCo charge for this service?

scoobs
27-06-2009, 08:21
Nice one shahsy, I'm on my second Esco re-tipped Denon albeit vanilla 103's. I remember feeling that the difference was most noticeable with the added involement and insight, but also end of side was just good as the beginning, without the congestion that can affect the conical tip. Best of all for me though was the re-tipped 103 lost none of the verve, bounce and boogie of the original.

Rob, Esco will replace the cantilever and stylus in a working or broken 103 for £180 if it passes their MOT. Alternatively they can supply a new, ready re-tipped one for £325, the only downside is that the father and son team at Esco are always up to thier cravat with orders and lead time can be an agonising 6+ weeks including initial cartridge MOT. I luckily managed to snaffle a cancelled order for a ready re-tipped 103 back in the spring.

NRG
27-06-2009, 08:58
Yep the wait is agonising....my Kontra B has still not returned home :( I have a bust 103 somewhere but at 180 notes Ithinkit will stay that way!

DSJR
27-06-2009, 12:03
It seems that the 103 varients with different factory applied tips had different suspension setups as well (maybe the coil windings were different too) and none of them seemed to "gell" like the 103.

Someone I know from EM circles uses EsCo 103's and rates them as superb, with only a decent Decca (he has some of those as well) as competition.

Glad someone else likes what EsCo can do. :)

Marco
27-06-2009, 12:07
Congrats, Shahsy. Glad the retip has worked out well for you :)

It seems that the 103 varients with different factory applied tips had different suspension setups as well (maybe the coil windings were different too) and none of them seemed to "gell" like the 103.

That's an interesting comment, Dave. It may explain why some retipped 103s I've heard have not entirely been to my liking.

Marco.

lazyscott
28-06-2009, 14:55
I also got a plain 103 "modded" by ESC and it truly is excellent considering the price! (gives the SA a run for its money)

Leo

bigmoog
29-06-2009, 11:11

Someone I know from EM circles uses EsCo 103's and rates them as superb, with only a decent Decca (he has some of those as well) as competition.

Glad someone else likes what EsCo can do. :)

I totally agree, a Denon DL103r or even a standard 103 once fiddled with by ExpertStylus or Zuaudio will out class every MC out there (except the Koetsu blu-ray HD cobble stone which retails at 20,000 US$)....but will be flattened by a well set up Decca cartridge in an appropriate tonearm.....(opinion based listening to other cartridges)

Hello Dave, how the devil are you?..........

BM;)

DSJR
29-06-2009, 11:17
I'm fine guv and up to me eyes in studying "safeguarding little brats at school..........;)"

'Tis you I was using as the example by the way, plenty of TD and JMJ (spit ;)) support on here, but they haven't discovered Redshift yet and the welly that big Moog can inject into their Tannoys :lol:

Not quite the way I was going, but below is a project awaiting completion (as the R200 won't fit properly - too deep and too tall)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/DSCF0463.jpg