PDA

View Full Version : One weekend only

Jonboy
26-06-2009, 15:46
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_0861.jpg
I set this system up and managed to keep the 57's in the house for just the one weekend which is a shame as i have two pairs of 57's awaiting the stacking treatment, what is it with women and electrostatics, how can they call them ugly??:confused:, perhaps i should of kept my 63's (now sold) as she didn't moan to much about those:doh:
The amps are Ming Da 845's complete with a ming da pre amp ( good Value i think second hand) and Micromega duo dac/transport, you can just see my Leak strereo 20 and Rogers cadet 2 lurking there

Cheers
Jon

Barry
26-06-2009, 16:35
http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/DSC_0861.jpg
I set this system up and managed to keep the 57's in the house for just the one weekend which is a shame as i have two pairs of 57's awaiting the stacking treatment, what is it with women and electrostatics, how can they call them ugly??:confused:, perhaps i should of kept my 63's (now sold) as she didn't moan to much about those:doh:
The amps are Ming Da 845's complete with a ming da pre amp (good value I think second hand) and Micromega duo dac/transport, you can just see my Leak strereo 20 and Rogers cadet 2 lurking there

Cheers
Jon

As a long time user of '57s, I just love them; not only for their acoustic performance (I was going to say 'sound', but whilst a loudspeaker should have no sound of it's own, the '57s like all speakers do have a sound ), but for their looks as well.
Not many people like their look, I do and so does my wife; she bought them for me as a wedding present! The visual design is very much of their time and the 'bronze' grills do not necessarily lend themselves to modern interior design; the black grill versions are better in that respect. Yours look great in your setting; though they do seem to be too close to the rear wall for optimum acoustic performance.

Stacked '57s - Oh you are lucky! I once tried stacking the Quads and the sense of 'presence' was palpable, along with, for me, more than adequate bass. Unfortunately their sheer physical presence was visually far too dominant and overbearing in the listening/living room.

Regards
Barry

PS I think the Rogers preamp deserves a little more respectful treatment than it appears to being given ;)

DSJR
26-06-2009, 17:37
I'd probably suggest pulling them further from the back wall, but as I haven't heard this pair, perhaps it's a dangerous comment to make :)

These speakers can sound sooooo good if they like what's driving them and they ALSO like the room they're in (and the stands they're attached to...).

Barry
26-06-2009, 17:56
I'd probably suggest pulling them further from the back wall, but as I haven't heard this pair, perhaps it's a dangerous comment to make :)

These speakers can sound sooooo good if they like what's driving them and they ALSO like the room they're in (and the stands they're attached to...).

Dangerous? :scratch:

Jonboy
26-06-2009, 18:41
Being that they only lasted the weekend i didn't get chance to move them away from the wall and give them the air they deserve, speaking of the Rogers it is still one of my favorite amps along with its original pre amp a much over looked amp when they are serviced and running on form i do believe ;)

DSJR
26-06-2009, 19:18
Dangerous? :scratch:

Tongue in cheek, but I don't wish to break too many more eggshells....:lolsign:

Barry
27-06-2009, 08:29
Tongue in cheek, but I don't wish to break too many more eggshells....:lolsign:

I must be getting old! I have only just realised that my comments might have indeed endangered connubial bliss and so now understand your remarks. :eyebrows:

Regards

Spectral Morn
27-06-2009, 09:18
Nice looking set up Jonboy. I would love to hear a set up like that some time.

Hows about a few closeup photos too, its a wee bit to distant to make out all the details.

Regards D S D L