PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson DEAD

snapper
25-06-2009, 22:26
Just heard that he died this evening.

Marco
25-06-2009, 22:38
Are you being serious, dude? Where did you hear it and what has he died from?

Marco.

Marco
25-06-2009, 22:41
I've just seen this:

http://news.aol.co.uk/michael-jackson-taken-to-hospital/article/2009062517500991692050

Doesn't look good :(

Marco.

Spectral Morn
25-06-2009, 22:41
Hi Guys

It is being announced that Micheal Jackson has died within the last few hours from a heart attack.:(

Detail Links http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31552029/ns/entertainment-music/

More news links http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE55O6AK20090625?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Regards D S D L

The Grand Wazoo
25-06-2009, 22:42
Are you being serious, dude? Where did you hear it and what has he died from?

Marco.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8119951.stm
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2009-06-25-jackson-obit_N.htm

snapper
25-06-2009, 22:44
It's been on Skynews for the last half hour.According to reports from L.A. he died of a cardiac arrest.

Marco
25-06-2009, 22:52
It's not been 100% officially confirmed yet, but the signs look bad...

Marco.

Marco
25-06-2009, 22:55
Ooops, I see it's just been confirmed...and before he got a chance to do his last concert, too :(

Marco.

Marco
25-06-2009, 22:57
Nightmare... I'm off to watch it on the news now :(

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
25-06-2009, 22:57
Sad to hear that someone's died & I feel sorry for his family & friends.

I never saw the attraction, myself, but his music obviously gave pleasure to many, which can only be a good thing.

However, prepare yourselves for the deluge of sappy tributes.

A cynic might say that his portrayal of himself as Christ & God in the past may have been the precursor to the comeback of the century.............

Spectral Morn
25-06-2009, 23:01
I don't know what to say.....I can't quite believe it. I not a fan as such but the guy had talent and produced some amazing music.

Regards D S D L

Marco
25-06-2009, 23:01
I admired him as an amazing dancer (at his peak, arguably the best the world has ever seen, IMO, taking inspiration from the likes of the great Fred Astaire and James Brown). I did enjoy some of his music, certainly he was an idol of mine in the 80s, during my teens.

Haven't played much of his music though for a long time. But I agree, there will be millions of "sappy tributes" from all over the world. I am very sad to see him go, though :(

Marco.

Marco
25-06-2009, 23:32
Regardless of whether you're a fan or not, you can't argue with the figures. He was the most successful artist of all time.

Rest in peace, Michael. God bless.

Marco.

John
26-06-2009, 04:20
This is really sad I was not a fan but there is no doubt he had talent and brought pleasure to many millions of people

Beechwoods
26-06-2009, 06:02
Blimey. It's so sad. The end of an era. definitely an amazing showman, dancer, songwriter - in his glory years. What a shock :eek:

Dave Cawley
26-06-2009, 07:03
I had one of the first satellite systems in the UK and was amazed to find a music video channel MTV. Within minutes Michael Jackson's Thriller appeared. This video change the world of pop music forever.

Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOj5H5W9zYo)to see the full 13 minute version.

The world is a poorer place. Rest in peace Michael.

Dave

DSJR
26-06-2009, 07:19
Very sad, but his musical legacy will live on...

MJ's music was a HUGE part of the eighties audio scene. Quincy Jones knew how to manipulate the rust and digits to get a great sound IMO...

Marco
26-06-2009, 07:58
Music aside, as an out-and-out live entertainer, Michael Jackson was second none - unquestionably *THE* best, IMO.

I was fortunate to see him perform live in Glasgow in 1992 as part of the 'Dangerous' tour, and it was a quite incredible experience. I've been to many live gigs throughout the years, but that one was up there with the most special. 'Billie Jean' was an iconic song for me as idol of him in the 80s - it holds special memories for me during one of the happiest times of my life as a then teenager, and the video was a true classic, much as was of course the quite spectacular 'Thriller'.

His dance moves during that gig in 1992, when he was still at his peak, almost defied gravity; the special effects were out of this world, and the way he could hold an audience in sheer rapture, completely mesmerised by his phenomenal dancing talent, and feeding off of their energy and passion to drive him on to even greater heights, was a joy to behold... I was privileged to witness it.

'Superstar', much like 'celebrity', is a word that is much diluted and devalued these days, but he certainly deserved the title of 'superstar'. He was the last genuinely great pop icon of the 21st century and the world of music and entertainment is undoubtedly a poorer place without him.

My heart goes out to all of his family, particularly his father, who must be suffering the most incredible grief, knowing deep down inside that he played a significant part in the damaged goods and psychological and physical wreck that in the end was his son, the late, and great, Michael Jackson...

Today I'll be playing all of his best hits from 'Off the Wall', 'Thriller', 'Bad' and 'Dangerous', as a tribute to undoubtedly one of the finest performers the world has ever seen.

Long live the King of Pop! :clap: :clap:

Marco.

Haselsh1
26-06-2009, 07:58
RIP Wacko. I loved some of your music. It meant so much to so many.

anthonyTD
26-06-2009, 09:21
hi all,
what ever you thought of michael jackson you have to acknowledge his talents and what a talent he was!!!
i hope he will be remembered for what he gave to the music world and not for his failings in his personal life.
RIP MJ...

Marco
26-06-2009, 10:28
There are rumours going round now (so far unfounded) that he may have committed suicide through an overdose of 'Oxycontin'; the pain-killing drug he was taking.

http://www.drugs.com/oxycontin.html

In a way it makes sense, but I guess we'll have to wait until after the autopsy later today to find out the real cause of his death...

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
26-06-2009, 11:04
Marco,

A nice summary. i'd been thinking of getting Thriller for the third time! I was also going to post something really insensitive, but yous topped me in my tracks.

Marco
26-06-2009, 11:26
For me this was his defining moment at the peak of his career when he performed 'Billie Jean' live at the Motown 25th Anniversary Special in 1983:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15SxqqwF63U

The 'Moonwalk', and performance he gave on that stage had a profound effect on me as a teenager. I was simply awe-inspired! :eek: :youtheman:

This for me though is one of his other genuinely defining moments - a performance of quite breathtaking dancing ability (and more than a little madness and 'crotch rubbing'!), at the end of his video for 'Black & White' when he turns into a Black Panther...

FAST FORWARD TO 6.35 on the video counter for an MJ treat which is IMO, second to none, or just watch it all the way through - either way it's fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoJ6OO6lR4

Classic MJ from his first solo album - 'Don't Stop 'till You get Enough':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrPTDU40hO4

And, penultimately, the awesome 'Smooth Criminal'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxPp5DovgA0&feature=related

Cool as f*ck - even now! :smoking:

Lastly, everyone goes on about Thriller being a superb music video, and rightly so, but one of my favourites, and lesser known MJ videos, for the sheer high quality of its animation, is 'Speed Demon'. Sit back and enjoy - especially the end, which is just fabulous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEVj2_9Fojo

He really did produce some amazing music videos. I can't think of anyone else in the industry who even remotely approached him in that regard.

Marco.

hifi_dave
26-06-2009, 12:13
God Bless you Michael and I hope you get the peace you were denied all your life.

DaveK
26-06-2009, 12:41
I hate to strike a discordant note on this eulogy but am I the only person to be fed up by the hoo-ha about the guy's death? He was no doubt a major talent, maybe even a genius, I acknowledge, although he didn't particularly appeal to me - I am also prepared to acknowledge that that is probably more my failing than his. But he was a highly flawed individual, weird some might say, despite his talent (so many are), and it appears that his death was more than likely to have been, to some extent, self inflicted.
During a period when we are losing innocent young soldiers almost every day in Iraq and Afghanistan, whose only failing was probably to be born in a time when joining the forces was the only option to unemployment, the dole and/or a life of chrime, why is his life considered so much more valuable than theirs? Certainly not in my book. They lost their lives protecting our freedom and way of life (so our government would have us believe), not by abusing their riches provided by a God given talent.
I am sorry if this opinion upsets anyone (no threats of violence please), but we are all entitled to our opinion and this is mine.

Barry
26-06-2009, 14:38
I hate to strike a discordant note on this eulogy but am I the only person to be fed up by the hoo-ha about the guy's death? He was no doubt a major talent, maybe even a genius, I acknowledge, although he didn't particularly appeal to me - I am also prepared to acknowledge that that is probably more my failing than his. But he was a highly flawed individual, weird some might say, despite his talent (so many are), and it appears that his death was more than likely to have been, to some extent, self inflicted.
During a period when we are losing innocent young soldiers almost every day in Iraq and Afghanistan, whose only failing was probably to be born in a time when joining the forces was the only option to unemployment, the dole and/or a life of crime, why is his life considered so much more valuable than theirs? Certainly not in my book. They lost their lives protecting our freedom and way of life (so our government would have us believe), not by abusing their riches provided by a God given talent.
I am sorry if this opinion upsets anyone (no threats of violence please), but we are all entitled to our opinion and this is mine.

Hi Dave,

Every thing you say is true, and in some ways there is a parallel here between the death of Jade Goody and Michael Parkinson's comments on the 'circus' leading up to her death. Whilst I, like a few others here on AoS, was not a fan of Michael Jackson, he did bring pleasure and enjoyment to tens of millions of people and can therefore rightly be lauded as 'The King of Pop'.

None of this of course will help or comfort the grief of those who have lost family members in serving their country; but within a week or so the wave of lament over Jackson's death will have subsided and life will return as normal (whatever that means at the moment). The lives of those who fell for our country will always be remembered.

Let's give this day to Jackson's family - surely that's not to much to ask?

Peter Stockwell
26-06-2009, 14:41
During a period when we are losing innocent young soldiers almost every day in Iraq and Afghanistan, ... They lost their lives protecting our freedom and way of life (so our government would have us believe), not by abusing their riches provided by a God given talent.

It's simple, Dave; your point is more than valid, and someone needs to make it, but Michael jackson meant something to millions all over the world. I had similiar sentiments, to those you express, when a rich englishwoman was killed in a road accident in Paris a few years back.

Haselsh1
26-06-2009, 14:46
It's simple, Dave; your point is more than valid, and someone needs to make it, but Michael jackson meant something to millions all over the world. I had similiar sentiments, to those you express, when a rich englishwoman was killed in a road accident in Paris a few years back.

Here Here...!!!

Marco
26-06-2009, 15:05
Peter is spot on here (I'm glad you enjoyed my little tribute earlier):

It's simple, Dave; your point is more than valid, and someone needs to make it, but Michael jackson meant something to millions all over the world...

...and sad though it is, the poor dead soldiers don't right now (to the same extent), in terms of many people... That's the harsh reality, I'm afraid.

However, please, let's not taint this thread, and the memory of Michael (or our dead soldiers), with any more comparisons like that.

Now how's this for a mad idea.........................

With regard to the concerts which were planned to take place in the UK in a few weeks, if I knew the right people to organise it, and could pull whatever strings that were necessary, I would get this guy from 'Signature' here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U2A2IUzuso

...to take the place of Michael Jackson, and perform a single concert in his honour to mark the occasion of MJ's death and give the fans something to remember. George Michael did it with Queen for Freddie Mercury, and it was a great success.

He could simply dance to a soundtrack of different songs by MJ. With some intense training and practice between now and the date the concerts were due to start, learning MJ's proposed dance routines, I reckon he could do it. He is, IMO, as far as his dancing is concerned, almost as good as the real thing.

All the proceeds could go to Michael's favourite charity.

It's just pure fantasy, I know, but wouldn't it be great if it could happen? :)

Marco.

P.S Has anyone watched some of the videos I linked to earlier? If not, do yourself a favour and play them, just to be reminded of how good this guy was as a performer at the peak of his powers.

Marco
26-06-2009, 15:17
Barry is also spot-on here:

Every thing you say is true, and in some ways there is a parallel here between the death of Jade Goody and Michael Parkinson's comments on the 'circus' leading up to her death. Whilst I, like a few others here on AoS, was not a fan of Michael Jackson, he did bring pleasure and enjoyment to tens of millions of people and can therefore rightly be lauded as 'The King of Pop'.

None of this of course will help or comfort the grief of those who have lost family members in serving their country; but within a week or so the wave of lament over Jackson's death will have subsided and life will return as normal (whatever that means at the moment). The lives of those who fell for our country will always be remembered.

Let's give this day to Jackson's family - surely that's not to much to ask?

:)

Marco.

DaveK
26-06-2009, 19:26
Hi Guys,
It took so long for the expected responses to be posted that I thought that I had shocked you all into silence :). I have no real problems with anything that any of you have said but I would make the following comments: -

Barry,
The lives of those who fell for our country will always be remembered. Oh Barry, would that it was true, would that it was true!! Can you remember any of the names of those that have been killed recently, let alone those killed last week or last month? They certainly will not be remembered by a certain Messrs. Blair and Bush. The ONLY way that they will be remembered by anyone outside their family and friends is as anonymous names carved on war memorials. Sad but true, I'm afraid.

Peter,
I had similiar sentiments, to those you express, when a rich englishwoman was killed in a road accident in Paris a few years back. So did I, but she did do some genuine good around the world, if you can believe what we are told about her. Jackson was just one of many stars in the world entertainment firmanent, maybe the brightest but still only one. The 'good' that he did was limited to entertaining a few millions but I doubt that he improved anybody's life in the REAL sense. Nothing much will stop after he has gone - the same cannot be said for the rich English woman.

Peter,
...but Michael jackson meant something to millions all over the world... . Very true but how can you compare the major hole left in the lives of a few family and friends with the minor hole left in the lives of a few millions? I know where my sympathy lies.

Barry,
Let's give this day to Jackson's family..... Gladly, but not tomorrow, and the next day and the next day and the next, ad infinitum, until the next 'celebrity' news story comes along. Give the guy a dignified send off, as soon as is practicable, then forget it and move on - any chance?

On the subject of sympathy, I also have a lot for his family and friends at the moment - their loss is genuine and will be felt deeply, but there already rumours around (I understand) that, at best, some of them stood around and watched whilst he slowly destroyed himself, and at worst, were party to his self destruction.
How long before this same distraught family start the bickering over what he's left behind?
Please don't get me wrong, each and every death is to be regretted, particularly when it can be considered to be so premature, but it is only one life that has been lost.
My last words on this subject.

Marco
26-06-2009, 20:05
I found this on the inside cover of the Dangerous album, which I thought was rather profound, written by the man himself in 1991. It's called 'The Dance'.

Consciousness expresses itself through creation. This world we live in is the dance of the creator. Dancers come and go in the twinkling of an eye, but the dance lives on. On many an occasion when I am dancing, I have felt touched by something sacred. In those moments I felt my spirit soar and become one with everything that exists.

I become the stars and the moon. I become the lover and the beloved. I become the victor and the vanquished. I become the master and the slave. I become the singer and the song. I become the knower and the known. If I keep on dancing, then it is the eternal dance of creation. The creator and creation merge into one wholeness of joy.

I keep on dancing... And dancing... And dancing, until there is only... The dance.

Quite beautiful.

Marco.

REM
27-06-2009, 07:21
The recording of the 911 call is interesting. His personal physician was with him and appears to have been applying CPR with MJ still on the bed. Now unless he kept a bedboard handy, which seems very unlikely, what kind of so called doctor would apply resuss without dragging the patient onto the floor first? This is simple basic first aid, no wonder the doctor hopped it and didn't hang around to assist the paramedics and police. The plot is thickening by the hour.

Marco
27-06-2009, 09:47
Like I said, the results of the autopsy will be interesting. It seems likely now that the cause of his death was not as straightforward as was initially reported.

Marco.

REM
27-06-2009, 12:42
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=42291868

scrufftyguy
27-06-2009, 13:27
Interesting article, thanks for that Ralph! :)

Ade