PDA

View Full Version : Crack and Crackle From Fridge

Ninanina
08-03-2014, 21:47
I don't know what I can do but everytime my fridge goes on and off on the thermostat it makes a bit of a racket through both my computer speakers and the Klipsch

Is there anything that can be done to stop this?

My hifi is run through a Tacima mains conditioner but that doesn't seem to help at all

Any info really appreciated....:confused:

Macca
08-03-2014, 22:34
You can get suppresors that plug into the same socket as the offending appliance. Not sure what they are called exactly.

Ninanina
09-03-2014, 00:08
You can get suppresors that plug into the same socket as the offending appliance. Not sure what they are called exactly.

Thanks Martin I will take a look on-line...

brian2957
09-03-2014, 01:40
Do you know anyone who can fit one of these Bev http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=5785&customer_id=PAA0979038314126UDIJTNIVFEYRSRLF

Ninanina
09-03-2014, 01:52
Do you know anyone who can fit one of these Bev http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1®ion=UK¤cy=GBP&pf_id=5785&customer_id=PAA0979038314126UDIJTNIVFEYRSRLF

Hi Brian
I saw those on the Russ Andrews site and i think i could probably have a go at fitting one, it doesn't seem too tricky... would you know if this is the same sort of thing?: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/contact-suppressor-rg22y

As it looks to be similar to me

brian2957
09-03-2014, 02:10
Sorry I'm not an expert Bev so I'm not sure . Hopefully one of the electronics guys will be along to give advice :) How ya doin BTW.

The Barbarian
09-03-2014, 10:17
You don't need advice the instructions are right there on the RA link.

Stratmangler
09-03-2014, 10:34
Connect one of these to the plug on your fridge.
You might need to change the plug first.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/delta-suppression-filter-rg21x

Audioman
09-03-2014, 10:58
Bev - I have one of these RA sets spare but the VDR (MOV) is missing. It's use is optional anyway and can be purchased from Maplin for 79p. If you PM me address can pop it in the post.

I've found the VDR in separate packaging! On normal prices the contents are worth around £3.50.

Paul.

The Barbarian
09-03-2014, 11:11
Good lad

:thumbsup:

Ninanina
09-03-2014, 21:16
Sorry I'm not an expert Bev so I'm not sure . Hopefully one of the electronics guys will be along to give advice :) How ya doin BTW.

Thanks for asking Brian, I'm not doing to bad, and you?

Ninanina
09-03-2014, 21:31
Bev - I have one of these RA sets spare but the VDR (MOV) is missing. It's use is optional anyway and can be purchased from Maplin for 79p. If you PM me address can pop it in the post.

I've found the VDR in separate packaging! On normal prices the contents are worth around £3.50.

Paul.

PM sent...

brian2957
09-03-2014, 21:38
Thanks for asking Brian, I'm not doing to bad, and you?

Ayr doin ok Bev . 'Hingin by a thread' as they say in these parts :)

Ninanina
10-03-2014, 19:12
I have now removed the cover that houses the thermostat, as per pictures

I'm not sure which of the wires i should bridge with the Russ Andrews VDR & Contact Suppressor. I have yellow/green (earth i guess), a Brown (live i guess) and a Black (neutral i guess) wires

If anyone can help that'd be great, thanks ;)

Audioman
10-03-2014, 19:27
I have now removed the cover that houses the thermostat, as per pictures

I'm not sure which of the wires i should bridge with the Russ Andrews VDR & Contact Suppressor. I have yellow/green (earth i guess), a Brown (live i guess) and a Black (neutral i guess) wires

If anyone can help that'd be great, thanks ;)

It looks like the Black and Brown. Yellow must be an earth. The piggy back spade connectors are used as per instructions on RA web site (supplied in the kit). I will print them and include with the suppressors.

Paul.

Ninanina
10-03-2014, 19:41
Thanks so much Paul, really appreciate it :)

Macca
11-03-2014, 13:21
Don't cut the yellow wire whatever you do. It will start a 60 second countdown at the end of which your boiler and house will explode. The blast will lift you up and send you flying towards the camera a bit like in Lethal Weapon 3.

If you are anything like me then you are too old for that shit. So be warned.

Ninanina
11-03-2014, 23:14
Don't cut the yellow wire whatever you do. It will start a 60 second countdown at the end of which your boiler and house will explode. The blast will lift you up and send you flying towards the camera a bit like in Lethal Weapon 3.

If you are anything like me then you are too old for that shit. So be warned.

Thanks Martin i will definitely try not to do that........ :doh::doh:

Ninanina
14-03-2014, 21:45
Well I have now soldered the suppressor's in place and so far so good.....

And the house hasn't burnt down so things are looking good.. ;);)

Ninanina
15-03-2014, 21:48
I don't think i've had a crack or crackle since fitting the suppressor's

A real result :thumbsup:

Thanks goes to Paul (Audioman) for sending the kit, the best £5 i've spent on the system

Audioman
16-03-2014, 19:48
Nice to know they did the job Bev.

Paul.

Ninanina
22-03-2014, 21:29
Nice to know they did the job Bev.

Paul.

Well Paul I am quite amazed that these little suppressors could made such a massive change but they certainly have

If anyone else is suffering with cracks and crackles or pops from their fridge/freezer thermostat, or any other noisy appliance, then I can totally recommend these Russ Andrews "VDR & Contact Suppressor kits"... http://www.russandrews.com/product-VDR-and-Contact-Suppressor-5785.htm

Fitting it completely got rid of the loud crack/pop/crackle i had through my rather sensitive Klipsch Heresys... It maybe that the Klipsch are so sensitive that it happend in the first place.... but whatever, it has completley rid the crack/pop associated with my fridge thermostat

I have absolutely NO IDEA how it works but it does

The very best £5 i have ever spent on my system... and for the full asking price of a tenner I think it is a bargain.... It took me about 5 minutes to solder it in place (using silver solder of course!!) ... If I can do it then you DEFINITELY can...

Just hope this might help others with a similar problem

Audioman
23-03-2014, 00:25
You can get equivalent parts from Maplin for a few quid. RA have increased the price of these quite a bit since I purchased them.