PDA

View Full Version : What amp do you use to run your sub?

alexm84
08-03-2014, 07:24
I have a Klipsch Sub-10 subwoofer in which the plate amp died years ago.

Am i better off buying another plate amp or something external?

Can i have some ideas of what people run for their subs? The original amp was 230W RMS.

John
08-03-2014, 07:34
I use a Berhinger Inuke 1000 with DSP that works a lot better than a plate amp (was using a the top of the range BK plate amp) due to the amount of control you have over the bass but might be overkill
You have to do a mod to the fan as its very noisy so understand if you not want to go this route ( I have taken the fan out of the system as these amps are meant for driving pa systems so no heat issues)
You could also get something like a Rotel power amp and use a external active crossover as another alternative

alexm84
08-03-2014, 12:09
I don't mind if i have to open it up to mod/remove the fan. The Behringer looks good except it's $400-500 over in Australia.
I've had a look online and the can be bought for under $250 in the U.S. but i cant run them cause they are 110V not 240V.

I'd love a Rotel but they are a bit more than what i'd like to spend. If i went that far i'd probably be buying/building a different sub to run.

I don't suppose you have any 240V suggestions. Preferably something below $300 if possible.

alexm84
08-03-2014, 23:48
The Crown XLS1000 seems to have multiple voltage input and crossover built in.

Do you think this would be OK still? Is it as good as the behringer?

John
09-03-2014, 06:31
The Crown is supposed to be good you might have similar issues with the fan

alexm84
09-03-2014, 08:34
The Crown is supposed to be good you might have similar issues with the fan

That's OK. I don't mind opening it up. The fan is variable speed by the looks so maybe be quiet when idling.

Is there a thread or website showing how to mod the fans if required somewhere?

John
09-03-2014, 08:51
I took the fan out but others have added a resistor
No threads on AOS around this but their is one somewhere on the web.....but cannot find it....sorry

Reffc
09-03-2014, 10:09
I use a Berhinger Inuke 1000 with DSP that works a lot better than a plate amp (was using a the top of the range BK plate amp) due to the amount of control you have over the bass but might be overkill
You have to do a mod to the fan as its very noisy so understand if you not want to go this route ( I have taken the fan out of the system as these amps are meant for driving pa systems so no heat issues)
You could also get something like a Rotel power amp and use a external active crossover as another alternative

+1,

Crown amps are affordable, well designed power amps and should be well suited to driving a sub. Disabling the fan or modding the circuit for slower running is an option but decent ventilation is still recommended (ie don't enclose them).

alexm84
09-03-2014, 12:56
+1,

Crown amps are affordable, well designed power amps and should be well suited to driving a sub. Disabling the fan or modding the circuit for slower running is an option but decent ventilation is still recommended (ie don't enclose them).

Good to hear. I think i will go with one of these then. At least this will cover me if i build a bigger/better sub to replace the Klipsch. If the fan is not to loud i will put up with it. Hopefully all good,

Thanks