PDA

View Full Version : Linn Katans or something else?

Junglefire
07-03-2014, 14:07
I recently had my Linn 2250 upgraded with a dynamic power supply. I am now looking for some speakers for my Linn LP12-WAKONDA-2250 set-up. I am looking to spend about 500 euros. I know the Katan is an old speaker by today's standards. Should I maybe look for something else?

petrat
08-03-2014, 10:33
Hi. Maybe better to try on Pink Fish, where more Linn people hang out, or on Linn's own forum?

DSJR
08-03-2014, 12:03
The Katan makes a good speaker in active form, but is hopelessly dead/over-damped and grainy sounding (with Linn amps) in passive mode, as is the Ninka in my experience. Makes sense when you want to sell more boxes and active cards of course! In fairness, age will bring prices of these add-ons down in price now, but AKTIV is the only way to go with these for a half decent sound.

My first choice personally would be to upgrade the preamp. The Wakonda is hopelessly outclassed and even when it was made (most Linn dealers never had anything to compare it with unless it was a more expensive Linn or Naim item - we did!). Doing this will show you how potentially good the power amp can be - and early noughties Linn power amps from the LK140 upwards could sound very good indeed once the constriction of their preamps was removed.

Just a possibly contentious thought, but as Linn aren't a mainstream brand any more, it may now be a good idea to wean yourself off them and on to some properly serious kit, some of which is quite modestly priced, especially on the used market.

Where to start? Well, I used to like the early Cyrus preamp, but these are like hens teeth, although the later models with surface mount boards may do well here. The old MF XP100 pre from the late 90's was also very good and two favourites from this time were the AVI S2000MP+P (takes 45 mins to warm up the MM/MC phono stage but really good thereafter) and if you can find one, the early Myryad 110/120 preamp with optional phono stage, lovely to own and use - sorry I don't remember it's exact model number, but it had a large black volume control with green 'fin.' Later, I rather liked the Meridian 501 SERIES 2 (the mk1 was horribly flat toned for some reason) and the 502, which lacks a phono stage IIRC. The Audio Analogue pre (that went with the Donizetti power amp) was nice as well.

Junglefire
09-03-2014, 18:38
Thank you :) I have the chance to get a Luxman CL-350 preamp. I know that this is an old preamp, but would it be a step up or down in comparison to the wakonda I currently have? Is there one preamp above all that you would whole heartedly recommend me?

walpurgis
09-03-2014, 19:34
Thank you :) I have the chance to get a Luxman CL-350 preamp. I know that this is an old preamp, but would it be a step up or down in comparison to the wakonda I currently have? Is there one preamp above all that you would whole heartedly recommend me?

I like Luxman amplifiers and though I've not heard the CL-350, I suspect that regardless of its age will sound rather good. Luxman amps tend to sound very clean and transparent, so if the sound of your Katans is lacking a bit of life, the CL-350 may help. If it's reasonably priced why not try it?

DSJR
09-03-2014, 19:59
Old Luxman amps can sound thick and 'double-cream' but this changed when the slimline models came along.

Preamps have been the scourge of the domestic audio industry and even now, certain Top End models are severely coloured, deliberately so they can be regularly 'upgraded' with better (read different) sound but without the standard getting any better (you know, a well supplied simple op-amp will out-perform many Top End products in fancy cases...).

Linn showed how veiled their stereo preamps were when the AV processor (5103? - can't remember now) appeared. Set to stereo and used from the line inputs, the sonics were far more transparent than a Kairn, which itself is better than a Wakonda.

The Lux you're considering will be a beautiful thing to behold and use, but sonics? Anyone's guess in all honesty.

ell-tell
10-03-2014, 16:16
Try Ninka,if your room is not to small. I have Activ Ninka in a 12'x14' room, not bad at all. Get another 2250,Activ cards and Bobs yer uncle! Nothing wrong with the Wakonda,by the way.