PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy tweeter change.

agk
16-02-2014, 13:43
Picked up my E11 'noy's on friday for a tenner and haven't got them home yet (at the womans at the mo) but one has a pushed in tweeter.
Not a great drama to fix as it doesn't look to bad and a wielding a spot of tape I should be able to pull it out.
This has got me thinking though.
I have a pair of MX1, they owe me nowt and the tweeters are mint, I'm toying with the idea of putting their tweeters into the E11's.
Freq's seem to be a match and I reeckon it may be a tidy upgrade.

Thoughts please gents.

Reffc
16-02-2014, 13:53
Try it and see but unless they have similar sensitivity, Fs (free air resonance points) and impedances, then they won't match properly. It won't hurt to try and see what it sounds like though.

agk
16-02-2014, 14:43
All sounds promising then, sens' 87db and 88db so that's a gnats wee thing and both are nominal 8ohm. Can't wait to get home tomorrow now and have a play.
I'm also going to look at changing the tweeters baffles over so as to keep the E11 mountings original.

Cheers man.

Reffc
16-02-2014, 15:03
All sounds promising then, sens' 87db and 88db so that's a gnats wee thing and both are nominal 8ohm. Can't wait to get home tomorrow now and have a play.
I'm also going to look at changing the tweeters baffles over so as to keep the E11 mountings original.

Cheers man.

Thing is "nominal" can mean anything between a little over 7 Ohms and up to 9 Ohms for a tweeter and it depends where it has its minimum impedance point before climbing up again (dependant upon self resonance and voice-coil inductance). May be close enough or it may change the crossover point. Only one way to see if you like the result.

agk
16-02-2014, 15:22
I shall put my meter to use and then have a listen, the ears have it. Good input, thanks.

agk
17-02-2014, 15:43
Well I have now fired the E11's up and have decided to fix the pushed in tweeter instead of a wholesale swap out.
A bit fiddly (haven't stripped a tweeter for years) but as they are aluminium tape won't pull it out.

Edit for a bit of perseverance. Took maybe half an hour of tape fiddling but much improved.

There is a tweeter on that auction site but having only laid out a tenner on the speaks £30 rankles a bit. I shall live with it for a bit and keep my eyes out for a cheaper one.

Mind you, £40 all in aint bad I guess.

walpurgis
17-02-2014, 17:04
I've pulled domes out with double sided sticky tape. It seems stickier than regular insulating tape. Then there's the vacuum cleaner dodge, bit brutal though.

agk
17-02-2014, 17:23
I've had the gaffer to this and I reckon that's as brutal as I'm prepared to get. I don't want to ruin it for the sake of aesthetics.
My hoover? It couldn't suck its way into a wet paper bag.

Just settling in for a listen now. Could take some adjustment on my part as I had early Kans up until a fortnight ago.

So far? Smoother than the MX1's but I only had them in use a matter of days and I think these have been unused for some time.

Waiting for dark so I can have a Tangerine Dream.

istari_knight
17-02-2014, 17:27
Depends how its put together but I have removed tweeter diaphragms in the past & pushed the dome out from behind... Probably not worth the risk.

Also heard of blokes sucking them out, full on lips to dome action... At least thats what they claimed to be doing :scratch:

agk
17-02-2014, 18:24
I quite like them but...

istari_knight
17-02-2014, 19:28
Not ported are they ? :lol:

agk
17-02-2014, 20:37
Rear ported no less...

Now that's odd. Just realised that all the hardware on these is inverted, drivers, badges and terminals too. Those I see online have the woofer at the bottom and tweeter above it but these don't. Appears factory too as all the labels and model info are all likewise and not tampered with at all.
The other "LE" types I see don't have this Mission style arrangement.

walpurgis
17-02-2014, 21:24
Sure you haven't got them upside down? :D

istari_knight
17-02-2014, 21:30
All I can find: http://www.preciolandia.com/it/tannoy-e11-limited-edition-monitor-casse-43hw8x9g-a.html

Maybe they changed their minds shortly after starting production & reverted back to tweeter on top ?

agk
17-02-2014, 22:10
That's the only other pair I've seen that have the same arrangement, good find. Most odd but I shall concern myself with the matter no more.
Suffice it for me to say they sound quite good.