PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy IIILZ

speakers-1989
21-06-2009, 21:42
How do these speakers sound?, especially when they have upgraded crossovers.

Please share your opinions:eyebrows::)

Cheers

The Grand Wazoo
21-06-2009, 21:50
Errrmmmmmmmmm.........don't see how anyone can comment on the upgraded crossovers unless they know how they've been upgraded.........

speakers-1989
21-06-2009, 21:54
I thought some people did upgraded the crossovers, so that it can be used with modern HiFi. Which a lot of people do with vintage Tannoy's.

hifi_dave
22-06-2009, 18:41
Some people do upgrade the crossovers but nobody can comment on a speaker modified in this way without hearing the actual speaker.

I have a pair of standard 3LZ and they are bright a bit lightweight but informative and pacey. They do need a careful choice of matching equipment I would say.

Barry
22-06-2009, 22:44
Sounds like this is more a question for Marco. Doesn't his new Tannoy/Lockwoods have modified crossovers?

Barry

Marco
23-06-2009, 08:31
Indeed they do, Barry. But, I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Tannoy IIILZ.

Like Dave says, you need to hear the speakers first 'as is' to know what difference upgrading the crossovers will make.

Have you done any research on these Tannoys, Shane, such as studying reviews/info on the 'Net? If they're cheap enough, then take a punt if you see a pair for sale. If you like their basic sound, then I'm sure one of our resident electronics experts could improve matters further :)

Marco.

DSJR
23-06-2009, 20:23
Back in the early seventies, when I first got to hear of Tannoy DC's, the IIILZ was regarded as the poor shelf mounted relation - they were small speakers by the standards of the times.. As efficiancy is high, the tradeoff is a little bass extension, altered slightly with e HPD Devon which replaced them.

Marco
24-06-2009, 11:25
If they sound anything like the Devons I've got, then I'd say buy them without hesitation. A simple crossover upgrade later will transform them into very worthy speakers :)

Marco.

DSJR
24-06-2009, 13:44
I've got to hear HiFi dave's pair, but on the rare occasions we do meet, it's chin-wag all the way and trying out different bits of goodies takes second place...

The Devon was a bit easier on the ear as I remember, but it's SOOOOOOO long since I played with them. The Devon also looks tons better too.....:) I like the oatmeal and chocolate grilles. Anyone like the blue ones?