PDA

View Full Version : Help! Any views on MF preamps?

mrmark
14-02-2014, 03:43
Am desperate for some help; live in the middle of nowhere in Thailand, need a new preamp to partner my MF A3cr Power Amp.
Does anyone have any experience of the A3cr when compared to the X-P100 Pre, or the X-Pre V3....... difficult for me to source an A3cr here, other two are easier, but not sure they are as good preamps?
Am looking for more weight/slam in the bottom end........ and a smooth detailed top. Any help will be much appreciated.

MartinT
14-02-2014, 08:20
How about introducing yourself and describing your system a little, Mark, to help us give advice?

jandl100
14-02-2014, 08:43
How about introducing yourself and describing your system a little, Mark, to help us give advice?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?28542-Hi-all&p=491590#post491590 ;)

Mark just posted this in the wrong section - should be in Blank Canvas. :)

jandl100
14-02-2014, 08:48
... But to respond to Mark's question, in my experience the best MF pre by far (although I've not heard them all) is the FBP A1 - I sold one recently and have in fact owned 2. You can generally get them in the UK for around £350.

The onboard phonostage is not that good, but the line level is very fine indeed.

Here's a review https://www.referenceaudio.se/ImageUpload/Tester/A1%20FBP%20Review%20HiFi%20World.pdf

The A3CR pre I found a bit bland and boring, the XP-100 was a bit better and the X-PRE V3 is a bit unsophisticated but quite lively. All in my opinion, of course!

MartinT
14-02-2014, 09:25
Moved!

Beobloke
14-02-2014, 10:13
..in my experience the best MF pre by far (although I've not heard them all) is the FBP A1 -

I completely agree with this.....

..The onboard phonostage is not that good,

....and disagree with this!

jandl100
14-02-2014, 10:24
Interesting, Adam.
The phonostage is non-adjustable iirc, so maybe down to cartridge matching?

Reffc
14-02-2014, 11:14
I agree with Jerry. I've heard the the X-Ray PreV3 which was very reasonable for the money although you do need the V3 power supply with it (it's part of the modular system). It's better than most of the mid priced MF's I've heard but not up to the FBP-A1 Pre. (The X-Ray V3 power amp is a little cracker though...)

mrmark
15-02-2014, 03:19
Martin ......sorry this is all new to me not really an internet guy........,and not sure how the website works.....Am using at present a computer front end using Foobar,PS Audio digital link III (modified) MF A3cr power, Ruark Prologue Speakears......... various cables from Nordost and Chord.
Hopefully will be able to get to grips with this site, sure it's all straight forward........... What is it they say about teaching an old dog new tricks?.....lol.
Thanks for everyone's patience.

mrmark
15-02-2014, 03:20
Many thanks for your reply...... been looking online for ages and not got anywhere....

mrmark
15-02-2014, 03:24
Thanks everyone..........new to the internet etc....so will take me time to get my head around it....thanks for your help.......seems like the one to rule out would be the X-Pre V3 then?

mrmark
15-02-2014, 03:32
Jerry many thanks for your help.....think i saw your pre for sale on ebay, but was unfamiliar with that model..... looks like i should add the FBP A1 to my list and drop the X-Pre V3.......... there is an XP 100 for sale at the moment you seem to rate that over the A3cr.
I know you say this is all in your opinion, but where i am i have absolutely no chance of an audition, so given the lack of reviews online have to rely on some one.
Regards Mark.

Effem
15-02-2014, 10:50
I have owned quite a few of the MF pre amps and none were exceptional performers, ranging from the first "The Preamp" right up to the A308cr and many others in between.

I had one of these before I bought the A308cr:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/magnum-mp330-pre-amp-/251448707635?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item3a8b82ca33&clk_rvr_id=586820788340

and I nearly cried when it went and the MF arrived. The Magnum was streets ahead of the MF in every way and really did regret selling it.

walpurgis
15-02-2014, 11:02
I have owned quite a few of the MF pre amps and none were exceptional performers, ranging from the first "The Preamp" right up to the A308cr and many others in between.

I remember 'The Preamp'. I had a couple, the last being the 'III'. I didn't rate them much, my old Rappaport Pre II blew them away with ease. The only non-passive pre I occasionally use now is an equally ancient VTL Deluxe which sounds very sweet.

Effem
15-02-2014, 11:09
I remember 'The Preamp'. I had a couple, the last being the 'III'. I didn't rate them much, my old Rappaport Pre II blew them away with ease. The only non-passive pre I occasionally use now is an equally ancient VTL Deluxe which sounds very sweet.

I am not in the least surprised the Rap blew the MFs out of the water, them old birds could see off most of the competition with absolute ease. Been looking out for another one in good nick for years now. The last one I saw on ebay a few years ago look like it had been used as an axle stand and the modules had been robbed out of it too. Huge shame :(

jandl100
15-02-2014, 11:13
Have you heard the A1 FBP, Frank? - that really is a bit of a standout.

Effem
15-02-2014, 11:17
Have you heard the A1 FBP, Frank? - that really is a bit of a standout.

Not heard that one Jerry, although I don't doubt your word over it's abilities.

Spectral Morn
15-02-2014, 11:24
The good news is that MF gear works well with the Ruark speakers.

The less good news is that a lot of MF gear is pretty average sounding in my experience, especially the stuff out in the last 8 years.

The older MF gear was better (the pre jerry mentions I didn't like, smacked at the time of desperation, lost way re product design and an attempt to cash in on the old A1 kit which sounded great but wasn't very reliable - it ran way too hot) but certainly the newer MF items mentioned I have heard and was not massively impressed with any of them on any level. The power amp you have and the 308 series are about where I parted with MF re liking any of their kit, though some of the Tri-Vista stuff was nice. The metal fist in a velvet glove is used often to describe the MF sound I just think its quite often lacking in musicality - i.e lean, forwards, relentless - particularly the amplification. The older class A stuff sounds better but in your hot/humid environment that might not be a good idea.

The power amp you have could be used with pretty much any pre and it will work well with most out there - its not very fussy re partnering and certainly if you partnered it with a valve pre that would give you a nice musical sound. Thing is much will depend on what kind of sound you like and how your room is - hard wooden floors or tiles will lead to a bright/lively acoustic so partnering a leaner/brighter more lively pre - unless you like that sound - will mean you end up with a less well balanced, less musical system imho.

End of the day audition stuff from your local dealer, in your set up is the best way forwards and if you want to try S/H kit only buy stuff easy to move on.

Regards Neil

jandl100
15-02-2014, 11:39
Not heard that one Jerry, although I don't doubt your word over it's abilities.

Well, the A1 FBP is not the ultimate word in transparency, although it's pretty good for a cheap (at used prices) active - a loanee of my Tisbury passive who did a direct comparison says that a veil fell away when going to the Tizzie (the same would be true or worse for most actives), but it didn't have the drive and bass power/control of the MF. It is a little bit 'stark', warts and all, but it has drive in abundance.
My Restek active pre betters it in all ways, imo, just far more musically sophisticated, but that would probably retail at £3-4k these days.
If you have a budget of £400 or so, there are far worse ways of spending the moolah than on a used A1 FBP, imo. :)

icehockeyboy
15-02-2014, 11:59
I had both A3 and a 3.2, the latter was superior, but both blown away by the Classe CP47.5 that followed.

mrmark
16-02-2014, 01:02
Neil, Thanks for your thoughts...... My room construction tends to make things sound a little lively, something i really want to avoid.... i would however like a little more slam/ weight in the bottom end ..... maybe it's my Nordost Cables.

Spectral Morn
16-02-2014, 01:40
Neil, Thanks for your thoughts...... My room construction tends to make things sound a little lively, something i really want to avoid.... i would however like a little more slam/ weight in the bottom end ..... maybe it's my Nordost Cables.

They can be a bit lean/forward sounding depends on which ones you have?

Regards Neil

starbucksboss
16-02-2014, 13:14
Just bought the m1 Clic...its so good I bought another for my main system!

mrmark
17-02-2014, 02:18
Thanks all who have offered advice........ alas really don't have to much choice. Would go fro the A1 FPB given the choice, but chances of finding one are slim..... likewise the A3.2cr. X-P100's are available but no chance to audition and am concerned as to the signature of there sound.
I too loved the old MF stuff A1, B200 etc, but took a huge dislike to there early 90's stuff, think is was the range the Typhoon was in? Found it to sound rather forward and tiring......... if my memory serves me right (and that's a big if......lol)

mrmark
17-02-2014, 04:25
Have been offered an audio analogue bellini preamp........ located in K.L., so again could not audition...... anyone have any ideas how this would compare to any MF pres, say the X-P100?
I note that at present there is one available on ebay.......... the one i have been offered is about 20% cheaper roughly £275. Would again be most grateful for any points of view on this Pre, or MF pres.
Regards to all.

Spectral Morn
17-02-2014, 13:15
Have been offered an audio analogue bellini preamp........ located in K.L., so again could not audition...... anyone have any ideas how this would compare to any MF pres, say the X-P100?
I note that at present there is one available on ebay.......... the one i have been offered is about 20% cheaper roughly £275. Would again be most grateful for any points of view on this Pre, or MF pres.
Regards to all.

Hi Mark

Fuller richer sound, more musical so not as forwards/etched sounding as much more recent MF gear is. Not heard it with an MF power amp but it should in theory sound good with your power amp. Whether this gets you what you want I can't say but worth trying and AA gear is ok to sell on as the reputation is good thus a known and saleable quantity.

Regards Neil

mrmark
18-02-2014, 02:36
Neil ....thanks for that info.

mrmark
18-02-2014, 02:37
Have the Red Dawn Interconnects.......currently between PS Audio dac and power amp....... and am using Solar Wind Speaker cable

vouk
18-02-2014, 05:30
The AA Bellini, at that price, represents excellent vfm; it is a really good amp and should mate well with your power amp.
In the future, you might think of adding its natural partner, the Donizetti, to get a really musical and entertaining combo.
IME, Nordost cables work quite well with AA gear, albeit taking a little bit out of its natural presentation and midband delicacy in exchange for a faster/tauter bass.

mrmark
18-02-2014, 14:40
Thanks for your input.......very helpful

Spectral Morn
18-02-2014, 14:51
The AA Bellini, at that price, represents excellent vfm; it is a really good amp and should mate well with your power amp.
In the future, you might think of adding its natural partner, the Donizetti, to get a really musical and entertaining combo.
IME, Nordost cables work quite well with AA gear, albeit taking a little bit out of its natural presentation and midband delicacy in exchange for a faster/tauter bass.

I would agree with this.

Regards Neil

mrmark
21-02-2014, 03:58
Just to confuse the issue, where would a Michell Argo Pre fit into the reckoning....... certainly easier for postage...lol But what about the sound quality........ years ago used one with Exposure power amps, and loved it...... But with the MF power?