PDA

View Full Version : hey all, i'm a Tannoy man now dont you know!

anthonyTD
18-06-2009, 15:25
hi all,
well i just thought i would share my latest adventure into the wonderfull world of Tannoy land with you. i recently became aware of a nice [nearly new] pair of tannoy glenairs for sale on one of the forums [ big thanks to ian walker]
and seeing the affect big tannoys had had on a few of AOS members recently i decided to bite the bullet and see what all the fuss was about, anyway i managed to get them for a real good price and hastily paid for them before the guy changed his mind, i then had about a week to wait untill they arived by courier, in that time i started to imagine all kinds of things, ie, would they suit my listening room, i started to realy worry about things like,,,what if i had the usual problems with bass issues i had experienced when trying to use large speakers before, for eg, some of the big spendors gave me a real headache in my listening space, anway, i received them the day before my holiday was due, so didnt have time to even set them up for a quick listen, but at least i had them! well, when i came back from my break as you can imagine my first thought was to set up my new speakers and give them a whirl, i fixed them up to my usual amp set up the soul 30 watt mono-blocks, well as with anyone who have experienced big tannoys first hand will know my first impresions were good, but it was clear that they would need some serious tweaking, ie, positioning, cables etc to get the best from them, anyway to cut a long story short, i have now had sevral days to play about and get them right and, WOW, their fantastic! i would never have agreed if i hadnt experienced it first hand that a speaker as imposing as the glenairs would work in the space i have to work with, but they do, i needent have worried about the bass as its plentifull when there is real recorded bass present but controlled, the mids are glorious, and the high's are very fast and articulate, just awesome! needless to say i am very glad indeed i finaly had the opertunetly to experience a proper set of Tannoys in my system, and to the guys who are already using big tannoys and have long experienced what i have just discovered, i can finaly say, "i get it" and the best part is, their mine to keep!!!
ohh and i nearly forgot, the scale you get from these big speakers is a real riot!
regards,anthony,TD...

aquapiranha
18-06-2009, 16:13
Bloody 'ell! you are all at it!! is there something in the water???

Just kidding, I have heard a couple of pairs of 15" Tannoys and despite having a preference for single full range drivers under normal circumstances, I would definitly have some if I could afford some! they have a great effortless musical quality that is hard to beat.

Congrats!

anthonyTD
18-06-2009, 16:26

Just kidding, I have heard a couple of pairs of 15" Tannoys and despite having a preference for single full range drivers under normal circumstances, I would definitly have some if I could afford some! they have a great effortless musical quality that is hard to beat.

Congrats!
thanks steve,
and i agree about the single driver concept, but as we know it is very dificult to get one driver to fully and acurately reproduce the whole of the audio frequency spectrum, so the tannoys for me are the next best thing.
anthony,TD...

Marco
18-06-2009, 16:27
Hey, Billee, welcome to da club! :mex:

I'm afraid though that you won't be an official 'Tannoyista' until after having undergone the initiation test.

That situation though will be resolved shortly when you visit; where you will also be fitted with your badge and special uniform.

Are you allergic to crinoline? No matter, we'll find out.

Marco.

anthonyTD
18-06-2009, 16:32
Hey, Billee, welcome to da club! :mex:

I'm afraid though that you won't be an official 'Tannoyista' until after having undergone the initiation test.

That situation though will be resolved shortly when you visit; where you will also be fitted with your badge and special uniform.

Are you allergic to crinoline? No matter, we'll find out.

Marco.
this initiation, does it involve frocks by any chance?:confused:
A...

Spectral Morn
18-06-2009, 16:34
this initiation, does it involve frocks by any chance?:confused:
A...

I think thats a given....its Marco after all :lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

Marco
18-06-2009, 16:34
Hehehehe... Once you've visited the dungeon all will be revealed :eyebrows:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-06-2009, 16:36

Marco.

With the tone of some recent posting etc perhaps the name of the forum should be changed to reflect this new direction Art of BDSM/CD :lol::lol::lol: or the ART OF SCREAMING.

Regards Neil

anthonyTD
18-06-2009, 16:39

Marco.
hhmmm,
all that chain rattling i heard last time i visited, :eyebrows:its all begining to make sense now!!!:lolsign:
A...

Marco
18-06-2009, 16:39
:help:

:flasher:

:kiss:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-06-2009, 16:41
Anyone heard of Blue Beard ...could Marco be that man...;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

Marco
18-06-2009, 16:45
I prefer a ginger muff to a blue beard, dahling :eyebrows:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-06-2009, 16:54
I prefer a ginger muff to a blue beard, dahling :eyebrows:

Marco.

I thought that one might go over your head...Blue Beard is a character in a murder mystery book/books..... Dungeons, chains , strange rooms behind doors etc. ;)

Regards D S D L

anthonyTD
18-06-2009, 17:03
anyway,:mental:
here is the new view from my listening chair!
A...
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm202/anthonyTD/tannoys.jpg

Spectral Morn
18-06-2009, 17:21
A...

WOW....very nice indeed. Great view. Also nice to see your set up (at least some of it) Whats lurking to the right and left of the photo ?

Regards D S D L

anthonyTD
18-06-2009, 17:44
thanks neil,
to the right is a 1933 ecko radiogram with my rock turntable on top, underneath the radiogram is my phonostage... to the left is my 15 watt stereo soul amplifier on top of some stands which are not in use at the moment.
A...

Marco
18-06-2009, 18:53
I thought that one might go over your head...Blue Beard is a character in a murder mystery book/books..... Dungeons, chains , strange rooms behind doors etc. ;)

It alll happens behind that little white door:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3710/lockwoodmajors026.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lockwoodmajors026.jpg)

Some say they can hear the faint howls of the un-dead dragging their chains and zombie-like carcasses against walls deep down within a labyrinth of underground tunnels, where evil forms the very fabric of their existence, leading to a world of pain where where once entered no-one ever returns - at least not in a state which could be described as in any way human... :mad:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
18-06-2009, 19:00

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3710/lockwoodmajors026.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lockwoodmajors026.jpg)

Some say they can hear the faint howls of the un-dead dragging their chains and zombie-like carcasses against walls deep down within a labyrinth of underground tunnels, where evil forms the very fabric of their existence, leading to a world of pain where where once entered no-one ever returns - at least not in a state which could be described as in any way human... :mad:

Marco.

That reminds me Marco, talking about creative writing, care to add your next bit to our story....remember its lurking in the abstract pictures part of the forum.

Regards D S D L

anthonyTD
18-06-2009, 19:07

Marco.
well,,,just make sure that doors firmly locked when i visit next:ner:
:eyebrows:
A...

bonneville
18-06-2009, 19:35

Congrats!

Hi Steve
You know you want my Lowthers

Vinnie

aquapiranha
18-06-2009, 19:37
Your right Vinnie, I do. The bank manager and the CSA have other ideas however...

;-)

Marco
18-06-2009, 19:45
Hi Steve
You know you want my Lowthers

Vinnie, I bet you say that to all the boys! :lolsign:

Marco.

P.S Neil, I'll see if I can get my creative juices flowing - but I need to be in the mood ;)

DSJR
18-06-2009, 20:59
Glenairs may be Tannoy DC's, but they're rather superior Tannoy DC's, with proper crossovers and everything and, I suspect, rather lower colouration than the old models... A pity Tannoy didn't market their bigger modern speakers better in the UK marketplace when they actually had a chance of selling some.. Too late now, noone has any money.

Ian Walker
18-06-2009, 21:08
A...

Blimey Billy you couldve at least got Becky to take a shnapp of you prancing between em sporting your pipe n slippers:lol:

Marco
18-06-2009, 21:10
Yesh, he told me he's done a wee prancette or two between them in his Shuperman moccasins :lolsign:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
18-06-2009, 21:38
Imagine what the Maxell adverts would've looked like if they used that as the 'hot-seat'!!!!!!!

Marco
18-06-2009, 21:56
Can you see that rather lovely Copper amp there, Chris?

That's the 'daddy' of mine - and most awesome it is, too! :eyebrows:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
18-06-2009, 22:17
Can you see that rather lovely Copper amp there, Chris?

That's the 'daddy' of mine - and most awesome it is, too! :eyebrows:

Marco.

So I'm led to believe! I'd like to get a chance to hear some of this stuff sometime.
My Radford is always there to remind me that there is life beyond my Levinson sludge pumps!

anthonyTD
19-06-2009, 08:48
do i detect a bit of pish taking me ole matey's,
i know,,, its the chair isnt it?:eyebrows:
A...

The Grand Wazoo
19-06-2009, 16:00
do i detect a bit of pish taking me ole matey's,
i know,,, its the chair isnt it?:eyebrows:
A...

Piss taking?.................About the chair?

Naaah, you obviously haven't tried my hot-seat!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2977502/Headcrusher-and-Iron-Maiden-torture-instruments-go-under-the-hammer.html

John
19-06-2009, 16:06
lovelly looking speakers Hope you get many yearsof listening pleasure from them

anthonyTD
19-06-2009, 21:53
lovelly looking speakers Hope you get many yearsof listening pleasure from them
thanks john,
i hope so too!
regards,anthony,TD...