PDA

View Full Version : Hifi aligned North to South, East to West ?

MikeMusic
04-02-2014, 14:40
Just a bit left field
:D

Anyone thoughts on what position the set up should be, where the cables should run and stuff ?

I ask as it is said/thought you should sleep North to South for a better night's sleep, then I got to thinking hifi - as you would
:eyebrows:

mr sneff
04-02-2014, 14:56
It's quite complex and magnetic north is shifting http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-25841106.
If you want to get really geeky about it there's a website where you can enter your location calculate the magnetic variation for your location http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/data_service/models_compass/gma_calc.html :) Who knows if it makes a difference? Who cares?

MikeMusic
04-02-2014, 15:20
Who knows if it makes a difference? Who cares?

Might make the music sound better !
:)

I know it's more than a long shot but maybe someone dafter than me has tried it out !
I'm planning a new room and I have 2 alternatives, either of which is fine

hifi_dave
04-02-2014, 16:29
Definitely makes a night and day difference as does aligning all the screws in the house. You might also like to wrap some copper wire round an ankle or wrist to electrostatically disable a limb. Oh, and don't forget to place a piece of pink paper, must be pink, under the feet of your listening chair and a piece of pink paper between the first pages of any books in the room. If you have a collection of LP's, you must place a sheet of paper between the sleeves.

If you don't do all of this, your system will sound pants.

Oh and remove your watch.

Reffc
04-02-2014, 16:40
Definitely makes a night and day difference as does aligning all the screws in the house. You might also like to wrap some copper wire round an ankle or wrist to electrostatically disable a limb. Oh, and don't forget to place a piece of pink paper, must be pink, under the feet of your listening chair and a piece of pink paper between the first pages of any books in the room. If you have a collection of LP's, you must place a sheet of paper between the sleeves.

If you don't do all of this, your system will sound pants.

Pink is so yesterday David :nono: It's BLUE paper you need to fold diagonally and place under each corner of kit. For best results, analogue sources should be placed with their top-side surfaces facing true south (ie upside down) and the listening chair should be placed on the ceiling. Double sided sticky tape is your friend...

Firebottle
04-02-2014, 16:41

I've got that bit cracked, did that about 12 years ago.

You saft sod:lol:

Cheers, Alan

MikeMusic
05-02-2014, 09:58
You may mock.

I asked as some of the mods over the years didn't make any sense at the time
Speaker cables, supports, mains cables, interconnects etc.

See my next post, coming up soon.....................

337alant
05-02-2014, 11:07
Actually !!
http://tianderen.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/fengshui-and-hi-fi-system.html
http://madabouthifi.blogspot.com.au/2005/08/feng-shui-art-of-improving-your-hifi.html

Alan

MikeMusic
05-02-2014, 11:51
Hadn't thought of Feng Shui

which I believe may or may not work
That's all bases covered I think
:)

walpurgis
05-02-2014, 12:25
Feng Shui? :scratch:

I'd better not say what I think. :eyebrows:

Dauntless
05-02-2014, 13:37
All else is irrelevant if you don't have 'fresh electricity' in your mains. Fresh electric is only available in the far North of Scotland. It is all to do with the way the electrons are 'birthed' up here. Your Hi-Fi doesn't run to it's full potential if your electric isn't fresh!

MikeMusic
05-02-2014, 13:41
All else is irrelevant if you don't have 'fresh electricity' in your mains. Fresh electric is only available in the far North of Scotland. It is all to do with the way the electrons are 'birthed' up here. Your Hi-Fi doesn't run to it's full potential if your electric isn't fresh!

Is it organic ?

Gordon Steadman
05-02-2014, 13:46
Feng Shui? :scratch:

I'd better not say what I think. :eyebrows:

Oh go on, it might accelerate your chi and get your yin and yang geared up.

Dauntless
05-02-2014, 13:53
No, it's the way the electrons are 'birthed.' You see ours up here are birthed from the wind and the sea so they are 'fresh'. As they are 'fresh' they're happier. Because of this our Hi-Fi's are more dynamic sounding with more added 'Prat' The effect doesn't only apply to Hi-Fi. Washing is whiter up here too!

hifi_dave
05-02-2014, 13:58
You also need to build your demo room on a slope with the speakers at the lowest end of the room. This ensures a smooth and even flow of electrons from source to speakers.

MikeMusic
05-02-2014, 14:16
You also need to build your demo room on a slope with the speakers at the lowest end of the room. This ensures a smooth and even flow of electrons from source to speakers.

But that invokes Partridge's Law as Charing Cross is already in play

Joe
05-02-2014, 14:27
I had our house rotated so that the hifi was North-South aligned. The previous East-West alignment was audibly worse.

Rothchild
05-02-2014, 14:28
Everyone knows dogs can hear above 20kHz so the fact that: http://www.livescience.com/42317-dogs-poop-along-north-south-magnetic-lines.html clearly demonstrates that correctly aligning your hi-fi will have a dramatic and positive impact on the top end.

Clive197
05-02-2014, 14:43
Don't know about speakers facing North-South or East-West. I always understood you had to face the speakers to Mecca, Jerusalem or Rome depending on your orientation.

Barry
05-02-2014, 17:03
All of you are wrong - one's listening room needs to be aligned along a lay line, as do all the signal cables. If you can't manage this then the Qi can be redirected to flow properly with the judicious placement of crystals in the listening room.