PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 131: 04/02/2014: TV Smith - Coming in to Land (2011)

Album Club
04-02-2014, 00:10
Paul (loo) has chosen this week's album for us to listen to, comment and vote on. Thanks a lot Paul.
Please enter into the discussion if you wish to vote, and listen to the entire album before commenting.

TV Smith- Coming in to Land (2011)

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/loonieboo1/tvcomingbig_zps3ecc5332.jpg (http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/loonieboo1/media/tvcomingbig_zps3ecc5332.jpg.html)

spotify:album:7Hu3SGEfqUMoxli5L0DGql

TV Smith as most of you will know was the singer and guitarist with the Adverts one of the better of the original wave of Punk bands. Please don't let that put you off, this is not a revival punk rock record.
TV Smith has recorded material consistently since the Adverts demise in 1979 and bands have included TV Smiths Explorers and TV Smiths Cheap. He has been recording as a solo artist since the 90's and tours relentlessly, playing solo with only an acoustic guitar, getting all over the world.

His performances are something else with every set chosen on the night, usually by the audience, well worth the effort if you get the chance to see him live.
He is a remarkably talented musician and song writer and a true gentleman with a real appreciation of his fans.

My own view is that he is one of our best songwriters of all time and his dedication to the art of making uncompromising music needs applauding and supporting. This record is on vinyl and CD and is available from TV Smith direct.

Hope you enjoy this one peoples.
Paul

TV Smith Wikipage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._V._Smith)

TV Smith's own website (http://www.tvsmith.com/)
If you want to buy the album, you might like to buy it direct from the man himself on the above website.

John
04-02-2014, 06:33
I look forward to hearing this The Adverts were one of the punk bands I liked

loo
07-02-2014, 09:22
Hope you like it John,
seems no one else is interested which is a real shame , come on guys it wont bite you!
I'm giving it a 9 obviously
Paul

The Grand Wazoo
07-02-2014, 18:46
I thought I had voted - obviously not!
7/10 from me. I liked it and I'll play it a bit more yet and maybe look into some of his other stuff. I sort of recall seeing a documentary about him sometime last year.

pjdowns
08-02-2014, 18:32
Can't make my mind up on this one to be honest Paul, think I like it but then again I'm not sure I really do, it's harmless enough…. hmmm only fair to score a half/half 5/10….

RichB
09-02-2014, 01:50
A perfectly acceptable listen. I ran this on headphones whilst working and found it good and upbeat. I'm not the biggest punk fan but there was more to this than I expected. Scored a 7.

Tim
09-02-2014, 09:39
The words 'Punk Band' gives me the shivers, but I'll give it a go Paul.

EDIT:
Sorry Paul, not for me at all. In fact the more I hear anything remotely punk, the more of a disconnect I have with it musically. I have never liked the frenetic beat of punk music and as I'm an ageing hippy brought up on prog rock, punk has always represented anti-music to me.

I can only give it 2/10 as I did manage to listen to Dawning of False Hopes to the end without wishing it was over, every other song I couldn't wait to finish I'm afraid. On the up side, I had never heard of Tim Smith or The Adverts, so my musical knowledge has been expanded, which is always a good thing ;)

loo
10-02-2014, 18:45
Thanks to everybody that gave it a go ,
nice to read that Chris and Richard enjoyed it and Paul keep listening eventually it will grow on you I am sure:)
as for Tim no worries you gave it a go I cant ask for more than that
cheers
Paul

Bazil
10-02-2014, 19:14
Well I knew who he is ( I've got "Garry Gilmore's eyes" )but didn't realise he was still going, I think we all like to put a handle on an artist and he sounds like a young Bowie although sometimes I actually think its Mike Scott (Waterboys). Anyway this album fairly zips along, its melodic , tuneful and I quite like it, enough to buy it? maybe with a few more listenings.
8/10

The Grand Wazoo
10-02-2014, 19:33
Yes, his voice reminded me a bit of Mike Scott but also Robyn Hitchcock. I completely failed to see any 'punk-ness' in this at all though!

loo
10-02-2014, 19:45
I completely failed to see any 'punk-ness' in this at all though!
Absolutely Chris that's why I said don't let the Adverts connection put you off. I see this as a kind of modern folk Pop album which is musically simple yet enjoyable, lyrically witty yet pertinent ,and due to the fact I have been buying his music as long as I have been buying records, seen him live more times than I care to remember and spent many a happy hour chatting to him after his gigs its like listening to an old friend ,if you want more of the same I can recommend his 2006 Album Not a bad day.
cheers Paul

synsei
10-02-2014, 19:47
I'm listening to this right now so I'll give you my thoughts when it has finished Paul, loving it so far though ;)

loo
10-02-2014, 19:49
Well I knew who he is ( I've got "Garry Gilmore's eyes" )but didn't realise he was still going, I think we all like to put a handle on an artist and he sounds like a young Bowie although sometimes I actually think its Mike Scott (Waterboys). Anyway this album fairly zips along, its melodic , tuneful and I quite like it, enough to buy it? maybe with a few more listenings.
8/10
Nice one Baz, buy it you know you want to , Support our independent artists :thumbsup:
cheers Paul

Audioman
11-02-2014, 11:06
I'm on the fence about this. It buzzes along nicely and generally is quite tuneful. TV Smith's punk origins are quite apparent in the style of music (stuck in the post punk / new wave genre). The quality of the songs is just not strong enough to make me want to buy it. 5/10. BTW Though not a punk fan (apart from the Stranglers) The Advert's 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes' was one of the few punk songs I liked. Smith obviously has talent and was only aware that he was still around after watching one of BBC 4's documentaries last year.

synsei
12-02-2014, 00:30
Oops, I forgot to return to vote... :doh:

Well, I'm here at last and what a great album this is, I really enjoyed it. The other half said she wasn't so keen but then she didn't leave the room so ya never know.. hehe. I gave it a 7 because it didn't quite get me pogo'ing around the room... :lol:

loo
13-02-2014, 09:27
Hi Dave , Glad you liked it , keep working on the missus ,mine was the same until I dragged her along to see him live now she's his no1 fAN :lol:
cheers
Paul

MartinT
18-02-2014, 17:43
Very representative of its time, I think, and had me reminiscing about my university days. Great for incidental music, but not an album I would choose to play. 5/10.

losenotaminute
22-02-2014, 09:30
Wow, what a great album. I was expecting to enjoy this and was actually blown away by how good the songwriting is. I like the lead vocal, it has the energy of the Undertones, but is subtler. The lyrics are great as well so a solid 9 out of 10 for me. I'll keep my eyes open for a copy when LP shopping.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Lawrence