PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on valves, OBs and Electrofluidics cable

Kember
29-01-2014, 16:54
May I take the minds of the forum please?

I have a temptation to go out and get a valve amp to pair with some Bastanis I have. I doubt I'll resist it long. Would this cable complement such a set up?

I'm currently offloading kit I won't be using again and I have a pair of Electrofluidics cables doing nothing much.

These are like Goertz M2 's or "unfrozen" Townshend Mk II Isolda's. I used to use them with an enormous American hybrid DK Technologies amp but I now have a Naim and don't dare try it! :eek: My recollection of this cable is that its sound is very well balanced, with a warm presentation that isn’t too analytical but a good dynamic feel to it.

These cables use closely sandwiched copper foil conductors which give very low Inductance and resistance but naturally the capacitance is very high. Hence my hesitation to use it with a Naim amplifier which I understand is not stable into this kind of load.

The cable retails at £100 per mono metre including termination with 4mm banana plugs, so this pair would retail at the thick end of a grand new. I'm not in the business of making cable manufacturers rich so I'll hang on to the cable if the consensus is it it could be a good match. If the consensus is otherwise, I'll offer these cables here first.

We'll worry later what type of valve amp to get!

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Ali Tait
29-01-2014, 17:44
Dunno about the cable, but valves and OB's are a great match IMHO.