PDA

View Full Version : Temple Audio Monoblocks + Custom Hifi Pre-Amp, LPS and cabling.

tpbholm
28-01-2014, 16:04
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Ortofon 2M red; Temple Audio monoblocks + Custom Hifi Co DC2 Linear Power Supply7 Powerblack IEC; Custom Hifi Co PP10 Passive Pre-amp; Custom Hifi Blue interconnects; Opus3 Credo speakers + Temple Audio cable.

Having bought the Temple Audio Bantam and a Custom Hifi DC1 Linear Power Supply I was so pleased with the sound I was getting from my Pro-Ject turntable that I decided to try them with my Sonos Connect/Pro-Ject CD Box Ds/ Sony BluRay/B&W685's in the sitting room. I was blown away, so much so that I left the system set up in the living room, put my Fatman iTube on ebay and ordered the above system on trial for playing my vinyl.
I've had everything set up in my studio for a few days now. John at Temple Audio advised that everything would sound better if left powered up for 2-3 days. I took his advice and boy was he right! Everything sounded pretty good on day 1, but by day 4 there's a marked improvement. The soundstage is broad and instruments are easily placed. Bass is extended and full. There is warmth and airiness to the sound which draws you in to the music. Everything sounds right.
I've tried it with a range of music from Eric Bibb acoustic folk / blues to King Crimson. Nothing unsettles it. The King Crimson is pretty demanding (Red and Larks Tongues in Aspic) but I have never heard it sound better. The Bantam sounded good with vinyl but this a big step up.
This combination of components is well matched although not having heard them with other components I can't say if they could be bettered. However, at the price I think they would be hard to beat. They also have the added bonus of being British built and in the case of the Custom Hifi Co everything is hand built to your own specification. A discussion with Sean led to him building a DC2 with dual power outputs for the mono blocks. Sean's Blue interconnects are very high quality indeed, if they were made by the likes of Van De Hul I think you'd be talking north of £200 for something similar.
The bottom line here is that I now have two high quality systems for less than the money i previously spent on a Roksan / Pink Triangle based system which didn't sound as good.
I should also say that the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable performs way above its price point. The Opus3 speakers are now 20+ years old (1988). I've had them from new and they're better than any speaker I've bought. The downside is visually they are an acquired taste (just ask my wife :))(for the curious among you Opus3 speakers were designed and built by the owners of Swedish audiophile record label Opus3. They're made of concrete. They very occasionally come up for sale and I would recommend them. Not many people seem to know about them which means they can sometimes be had for next to nothing).

Dauntless
28-01-2014, 23:33
Glad you like your Temple Monos. I looked at them myself a few years back but decided that they may struggle with my XTZ 99.36 Floorstanders. I noted the features with the Temples, namely the variable gain settings that will accommodate either active or passive pre amps. This is a very useful feature to have in a system. Like you I have found little known products on line that out perform more expensive well known stuff. Won't mention any names!