PDA

View Full Version : Croft 25 pre & S7 with recent loss of bass?

JRS
24-01-2014, 13:57
Hi,
Sorry I've not been on here for a while(too busy listening to music!) but I'm hoping you're collective knowledge can point me in the
right direction.
I've noticed that my Croft setup has become quite muddled of late where the bass( which sounds reduced by about 30-40%) seems to be overpowered by the vocals.

There was an incident over xmas where my son turned the power off via the plug whilst the amp was on. This resulted in one of the fuses in the pre amp blowing. I replaced that but the sound hasn't been quite the same since.

The system is about about 3 years old with the pre amp being supposedly new(although the fuses were blown when I got it!) and the s7 being an ex-demo from Glen. It probably gets about 7-10 hours of use a week.
This is my first foray into valves so I have no idea what aging tubes sound like if that's the case or if the 'power cut' has done more damage than first suspected.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie.

rubber duck
24-01-2014, 16:48
Have you checked the three fuses in the power amp?

JRS
24-01-2014, 19:41
Yep. All replaced. Is it possible that the valves are damaged?

rubber duck
24-01-2014, 20:32
I wouldn't think so but don't know. Why don't you email Glenn?

JRS
25-01-2014, 09:31
I'll do that.

Audioman
25-01-2014, 09:54
Switching of an amp at the plug shouldn't result in any malfunction. Does point to something else being wrong. Check if correct value fuses used. My advice would also be to contact Glen Croft. It does sound as if the pre may have an intermittent problem. You should be able to check the valves visually.

JRS
25-01-2014, 19:57
You should be able to check the valves visually.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks