PDA

View Full Version : I'm a lucky boy !

pjdowns
09-03-2008, 18:04
So my father has given me his record player and all of his Vinyl,

There are approx 80 albums with an additional 50 or so Classical and Opera albums including a couple of box sets

Record player is:

Linn Sondek LP-12, SME Series III, Ortofon (Not sure the cartridges model number)

All appears to be well though, I had it playing Tracy Chapman the other day and quite honestly it gives my Naim CDI playing the Tracy Chapman album a good kicking ... not that this can be said of all of the albums I got ...

Paul.

Vinyl Grinder
09-03-2008, 18:26
Record player is:

Linn Sondek LP-12, SME Series III, Ortofon (Not sure the cartridges model number)

Don't forget your coat on the way out

:lolsign:

pjdowns
09-03-2008, 19:05
LOL VG

What's wrong with an Linn LP-12 or is it to do with all those Linnies ??

P.

Vinyl Grinder
09-03-2008, 20:36
LOL VG

P.

Without using too many word.

'IT'S SHITE'

Vinyl Grinder
09-03-2008, 20:37
LOL VG

P.

Sorry, no i'm not

Marco
09-03-2008, 21:54
André,

Give it a rest with the LP12 bashing, mate. Paul's got a good deck there and a nice collection of vinyl for zilch - a reason to celebrate I think.

Paul, yes you are a lucky boy! :)

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
09-03-2008, 22:01
André,

Give it a rest with the LP12 bashing, mate.

:lolsign:

Never, deep rooted pal.

Filterlab
09-03-2008, 22:07
I'd have one for free, I'd just have to 'tune' it to my tastes, but surely that's the fun part?!

:)

Vinyl Grinder
09-03-2008, 23:07
I'd just have to 'tune' it to my tastes

Errrrr no you can't.

Steve Toy
09-03-2008, 23:24
I would be very happy if someone gave me an LP12 and a load of records for free.

Filterlab
10-03-2008, 12:11
Errrrr no you can't.

Hehehehe, bet I could. :)

Vinyl Grinder
10-03-2008, 13:23
Hehehehe, bet I could. :)

Your a better man than i then.The deck is so coloured sounding due to the way it's designed.

Filterlab
10-03-2008, 13:28
Then surely that invites some major hacking about with stuff, I bet you could with your knowledge mate, dismantle it to the bone and go ground up. :)

Vinyl Grinder
10-03-2008, 13:33
Then surely that invites some major hacking about with stuff, I bet you could with your knowledge mate, dismantle it to the bone and go ground up. :)

Like i did with this one:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/ELPFAN/Crossbreed.jpg

That was a cut down Ariston 'RD-11S' top plate (Notice no switch cut out), sub was aluminum/acrylic sandwich, DC motor (7 o'clock).Ariston 'RD11 Superiour' platter & bearing, Armboard Acrylic..then it started sounding a tad better

Filterlab
10-03-2008, 13:40
Nice.

You da man. :)

Vinyl Grinder
10-03-2008, 13:50
Nice.

You da man. :)

Aye would have been a nice job if the dick that covered the Linn surround in some shitty brown wax hadn't..New owner loved it anyway..

Filterlab
10-03-2008, 14:01
..New owner loved it anyway..

Well that's the main thing. :)

Oooh, that gives me the 'fiddling with a turntable' bug, even though I don't have any records, or a turntable in fact.

jimdgoulding
10-03-2008, 21:31
Lucky boy, indeed.

pjdowns
15-03-2008, 21:00
See,

It is nice to see that not all people hate LP12's

Paul.

Marco
15-03-2008, 21:37
Yes I must apologise for that ignorant idiot's comments earlier, Paul. He's since been banned (for other reasons).

He wouldn't know a good turntable if it jumped up and bit him on the bum!

Marco.

zambrosia
04-04-2008, 18:54
At the end of the day, it's entirely subective. Well into my 50s now, and I think I can safely say I've heard my fair share of turntables across the vast chasm of space and time. Now? I'm perfectly happy with my correctly set up LP12/Ittok LVIII/Arkiv. There came a time when the endless "itchy feet" of listening to the equipment rather than the music abated a little (and I do mean "a little").
One thing with turntables...........they can induce some incredible individualistic arrogance........way beyond any other facet of the high fidelity world. I think some of it is because more than any other aspect (yep, miles beyond the electronics boffins), it involves a heady mix of audiophile cravings, and applications of mechanical engineering. And what that engineering tends to do, is open a door to good, proven practice, and what I would describe as not quite [I]faux[I] engineering, but certainly a lot of stuff that is very very difficult to prove. Mechnical engineering and the broad expanse that is the playfield of the audiophile, can, at times, bring out some pretty dismissive attitudes to those of us considered to be children of a lesser god. Hell, at the end of the day, we are all permutations of what we like, the available budget, and our commitment.......which in some cases, moves on to obsessive compulsion. The bit that really matters is that we are all interested in the same subject matter. The kit you have at any point in time is unlikely to be the end of your personal journey, and personal experience tells me that journey can be very very circular in nature, so the kit you have today never ever makes you inferior (or superior) to anyone else.........not ever. Enjoy the music....that's very important.....but given our chosen subject, it's also very important to enjoy the journey.
A free Sondek and some vinyl? Hell's teeth young man, not only have you taken a step on your journey, you might well have come to a fork in the road that'll dictate the medium by which you choose to listen to music for the rest of your life. Enjoy it, and keep on with your personal journey.

pjdowns
07-04-2008, 19:36
Thanks for your comments Marco.

I noticed that he had been banned, naughty boy !!!!

Complin
31-05-2008, 14:04
Without using too many word.

'IT'S SHITE'

Yes he is very lucky, wish i had the opportunity!

However Vinyl Grinder, can you be a bit more positive!
It seems you dont like the Linn, but perhaps you might be able to make some practical comments as to how the Linn might be improved. I have never been a linn lover myself, never managed to be brain-washed!
It might not come up to your high standards but i would have thought given your expirence of the Linn, you could offer some ways of improving it. Say different arm, damping etc.

What combination would you recommend instead that we should aspire to and why?

Marco
01-06-2008, 09:06
Complin,

You won't get anything more out of VG because he's been banned (and has been for quite some time).

If you wish to start a separate thread on the subject and address the current membership then please feel free to do so :)

Marco.

SteveW
01-06-2008, 11:21
quite some moons ago my mate gave me his LP12 :gig::gig:, which has served me well for many years and subject to several upgrades (and being re-set up in Anglesey..wonderful ;)).

It was better in those days than the Roksan Xerxes I had, which is still up in the loft with its saggy bottom.

There is another question I'd like views on...but think as it'll be directed at Howerd, I'll start another thread.

Complin
01-06-2008, 17:51
Complin,

You won't get anything more out of VG because he's been banned (and has been for quite some time).

If you wish to start a separate thread on the subject and address the current membership then please feel free to do so :)

Marco.

So what has VG done that caused him to be banned, was it really that bad:banned:

Marco
01-06-2008, 19:17
Very much so, and I'm definitely not going there!

I thought that I seen you writing a new thread earlier (via the admin software) on the subject of the question you asked, as requested. Did you abandon it?

Marco.