PDA

View Full Version : computer issues

John
13-06-2009, 15:53
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help
My computer (notebook) keeps freezing I done all the usual checks cleaned up the file paths etc It can freeze in different programmes but the more processing power the quicker it will freeze and mkes a noise if you using something like iplyer
It has only started to happen in last 2 days think it might be on the hard drive side of the system but no idea
The computer uses vista ( never again)

spendorman
13-06-2009, 18:04
Heat is often a problem.

Dust inside clogging fan(s) and heatsinks causing processor etc to overheat.

If not confident about taking apart, you could try blowing cool air into the cooling vents (perhaps using a hair dryer with the heat off).

Crashing computers are often taken to "experts" who just clean out the dust and may charge for something like a new motherboard, when none has been fitted.

spendorman
13-06-2009, 18:19
If your notebook has a CD drive and you download Linux (say Linux Mint) burn it to a CD. Set machine to boot from CD and put in Mint CD, choose to boot to CD is given option. If machine runs Mint OK, your computer is probably OK (of course the hard drive is not tested doing this).

If your notebook does not have a CD drive, one can put Linux on a USB memory stick and try similar test. More difficult to put Linux on a stick (and make it run) than on CD though.

DSJR
13-06-2009, 18:21
This is an XP thing, but I think Vista may do this too..One thing to check is to go into Control Panel, then System, to get the system properties box up. Click Advanced and then the error reporting button. This should hopefully bring up another small window where you can elect to disable error reporting (easily corrected later should you wish). Once confirmed/OK'd and re-booted you may fing the computer running a bit better.

Our old office PC (1GHz PIII) almost seized up recently and when I looked at running processes, I found a file running that was taking most of the processor alocation up. It turns out that if a programme hangs, then a lengthy report is compiled and sent to Microsoft, where sometimes it helps them. This slow running then causes more programmes to hang, so more error files are opened and the PC then siezes up big-time.

Hopefully, the above, combined with a CHKDSK type error check on the drive (My Computer - right click drive - error checking - check boxes for "fix file system errors" and "attempt recovery of bad sectors" or whatever Vista calls them) should get you going again.

Apologies if Vista works totally differently to comments above. I *think* it's similar enough to XP to make sense.........

spendorman
13-06-2009, 18:44
I don't know if Vista has "Safe Mode" like XP, if it has may well be worth starting in that. If it runs OK in Safe Mode (which is Windows without most drivers etc loaded) It is probably a sofware related problem.

John
13-06-2009, 19:21
Thanks for you help guys I think it my well be overheating so will try first option and then try other options

spendorman
13-06-2009, 20:01
Just looked up, Vista does have Safe Mode.

The overheating does seem to be an obvious one to check first. Is the machine old and/ or had a lot of use? a fan could have even failed.

John
13-06-2009, 20:11
its only two years old but pretty sure it overheating issue as temp very hot managed to clean some dust off already but have a proper clean on Sunday

spendorman
13-06-2009, 21:02
Two years is long enough to get muck inside. My desktop has in about that time. Only recently cleaned it, was surprised that it was so clogged. It was crashing before cleaning. At first I thought it was software. Fine now.

Beechwoods
14-06-2009, 05:15
This is what my Mac looked like in the Power Supply area (hidden away, and inaccessible without dismantling and removing the CPU's) after 4 yearsof general use, and 6 months of building work on the house...

It kept rebooting every minute or so... and now works perfectly :)

:stalks: :stalks:

http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/Mac_Cleaning/IMG_5436_s.jpghttp://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/Mac_Cleaning/IMG_5437_s.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/Mac_Cleaning/IMG_5438_s.jpghttp://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/Mac_Cleaning/IMG_5439_s.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/beechwoods/Mac_Cleaning/IMG_5440_s.jpg

John
14-06-2009, 06:11
gosh that is some amount of dust

Beechwoods
14-06-2009, 06:52
And I thought it was clean!

spendorman
14-06-2009, 10:08
That doesn't look too bad for having building work as well! When I clean PCs for friends I usually take pics and put them on their desktop. You should see the horrified looks! I reasure them that this is quite usual.

A PC is just like a vacuum cleaner really! Well I should know about those as many years ago I used to work for Electrolux designing the things!

DSJR
14-06-2009, 11:08
You need a Dyson guv :) No loss of suction until the cyclone unit clogs up......:(

I still wouldn't be without ours though (a DC3 and DC7)

Am I right in saying that many current slimline laptops have vent holes underneath?

John
14-06-2009, 11:22
My vents are underneath