PDA

View Full Version : blu-ray is dead

julesd68
15-01-2014, 23:11
Interesting perspective on the future of blu-ray -

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/blu-ray-is-dead-heckuva-job-sony/365

This bit made me laugh -

< Delusional Sony exec Rick Clancy needs to put the crack pipe down and really look at the market dynamics >

Audioman
15-01-2014, 23:30
Interesting perspective on the future of blu-ray -

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/blu-ray-is-dead-heckuva-job-sony/365

This bit made me laugh -

< Delusional Sony exec Rick Clancy needs to put the crack pipe down and really look at the market dynamics >

This guy sounds like another attention grabbing idiot. If blue Ray has only 4% of the US market that is pretty big. The video market is bigger than music these days and even with the 'vinyl revival' vinyl has a smaller share of the music market. Funny how that 'dead' format SACD still thrives as a niche product after many years. It would make sense to cease production of DVD only players and eventually encourage and enforce buyers to use Blue Ray discs. If there were no price difference between Blue Ray and DVD discs the remaining market would gravitate to the newer format. Interestingly the new Universal Blue Ray music discs are priced lower than SACD and DVDA when those formats were introduced.

Paul.

Alex_UK
15-01-2014, 23:43
Only problem is Jules that article is from 2008 - I think with the benefit of hindsight he gets a massive FAIL - I for one would only ever now buy a DVD if it was something I REALLY wanted to see, and wasn't available on Blu-Ray...

julesd68
15-01-2014, 23:59
Only problem is Jules that article is from 2008 - I think with the benefit of hindsight he gets a massive FAIL - I for one would only ever now buy a DVD if it was something I REALLY wanted to see, and wasn't available on Blu-Ray...

Ah silly me, sorry chaps! :doh: Must be that large glass of wine I'm drinking!!

roob
16-01-2014, 01:06
Steve Jobs is dead how old is the article.?
Blu-ray is great but they need to sell for <£10, charging £20 is ridiculous these days.

StanleyB
16-01-2014, 07:28
Ah silly me, sorry chaps! :doh: Must be that large glass of wine I'm drinking!!
Can you get a refund on the wine?

The Black Adder
16-01-2014, 08:46
FYI. Vinyl sales count as 2% of the music market.