PDA

View Full Version : TIPS needed to dampen a Garrard 301

Wakefield Turntables
15-01-2014, 21:23
Hello! I'm in the process of messing with my 301 again, this time around I'm going to try and improve and isolate any nasty vibration getting into the motor and splindle. Any tips would be most welcome.

DiveDeepDog
17-01-2014, 01:11
This may be interesting?

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149959

My initial preference is for a ply plinth, but the most recent experimentation has a 24mm ply bolted to the slate with a dynamite sandwich. I think its pretty close to having the best of both worlds.

Other things to try is to clamp the main bearing top and bottom (The Classic 301 seems to address top plate weakness) , I think the Dr fixes the motor to the bottom of the plinth rather than it hanging off the deck. I've done this with a Lenco, and it does isolate the platter from motor noise. Its on my roundtuit list to do the same with my Garrard's.

Dynamat can dampen (again done it to a Lenco) but its a bugger to remove and I like my Garrard's paint work.

The Grand Wazoo
17-01-2014, 08:37
................but the most recent experimentation has a 24mm ply bolted to the slate with a dynamite sandwich. I think its pretty close to having the best of both worlds.

Bloody hell Mark.
The best of which worlds exactly?
This world and the next world?!

A turntable with a suicide vest for explosive dynamics!

DiveDeepDog
17-01-2014, 10:50
Bloody hell Mark.
The best of which worlds exactly?
This world and the next world?!

A turntable with a suicide vest for explosive dynamics!

I'm looking forward to the 1812, bloody spellcheck !

Wakefield Turntables
17-01-2014, 20:38
Thanks for the link, i think i'll stick with what I have.

pure sound
26-01-2014, 15:47
Vibration getting into the motor? It's dealing with the vibration getting out of the motor I'd be concerned about. I would still love to try mounting a Garrard in a rigid but lightweight foam plinth. Something perhaps cut from Kingspan with stiff skins above & below.