PDA

View Full Version : Naim launch Statement amp

losenotaminute
08-01-2014, 11:58
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/the-british--super-amplifier--that-s-putting-us-back-at-the-cutting-edge-of-audio-technology-180133858.html#TTlSXdi

3 pillars costing £125k, 2 1/2 feet high and weighs 300 kg.

Lawrence

MartinT
08-01-2014, 12:51
Let's hope it's a lot better than the ludicrously overpriced NAP 500.

Macca
08-01-2014, 13:03
Only 746 watts per channel - those are expensive watts although they do throw a pre-amp in for the price. I wonder if you can buy an upgrded power supply for it?

StanleyB
08-01-2014, 13:16
That's a terrible statement to make.

MCRU
08-01-2014, 13:48
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/the-british--super-amplifier--that-s-putting-us-back-at-the-cutting-edge-of-audio-technology-180133858.html#TTlSXdi

3 pillars costing £125k, 2 1/2 feet high and weighs 300 kg.

Lawrence

its still a naim! :lol:

mr sneff
08-01-2014, 16:22
It's not a T-amp then? :lol:

losenotaminute
08-01-2014, 17:08
It's not a T-amp then? :lol:

It would need a few car batteries if you turned it up to 11! Not to be tried with weedy speakers.....

Lawrence

hifi_dave
08-01-2014, 17:50
Not sure where their market is for such expensive gear. If it was an Audio Research, D'Agostino, Krell, Spectral etc, etc it would sell in small quantities but Naim are not known for real high-end products. I'm told that even their NAP 500, 552, 555 etc sales have all but dried up now..:scratch:

Wakefield Turntables
08-01-2014, 18:11
Never really like Naim gear. I once listed to a complete Naim system (about £70k) at my local hifi shop and didn't like it one little bit. But that's just my opinion for what its worth.

RichB
08-01-2014, 18:12
Someone will buy it... And with starving kids in the world that's a f**king disgrace

Mind you I also say this about many other conspicuously consumed things

Gazjam
08-01-2014, 19:20
But will it blend?

Gazjam
08-01-2014, 19:20
But will it blend?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

MartinT
08-01-2014, 20:12
Best thing for an iPad.

Oops, did I say that? Naughty boy!

daytona600
08-01-2014, 20:38
Never a naim fan myself but good to see a UK product going head to head with the Uber Amps

MartinT
08-01-2014, 20:47
I'd go for a pair of Chord SPM-14000 monoblocks any day, and still have change for the rest of the system. It's also British.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_images/master/chordspm14000.jpg

User211
08-01-2014, 22:56
So Naim, protagonists of solid state for many a full moon, suddenly decide valves are OK and what's more, they're gonna make a £125K amp using them?

Strange.

I wonder which output valve they went for... power output is immense! Eat your heart out Audio Research etc?

Lee1976
08-01-2014, 23:30
What a joke.......Bad enough the cost but also it's Naim....

keiths
09-01-2014, 01:47
Surely the "valve" bit is a misprint/misunderstanding? This must be solid state?

Yomanze
09-01-2014, 09:29
Surely the "valve" bit is a misprint/misunderstanding? This must be solid state?

Agreed. The size and heatsinks give it away, not to mention the power figures.

hifi_dave
09-01-2014, 10:12
Will it need re-capping every 10 years ?

mr sneff
09-01-2014, 10:44
Accrding to chat on the Naim Forum they're semiconductor valves as opposed to thermionic valves, whatever that means http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/naim-statement?reply=32400331786575415

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 10:53
It's not valve, Gramaphone have a better description http://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical-music-news/naim-makes-a-big-stakes-statement-in-las-vegas-with-200000-amplifier

To be blunt, this whole thread comes over as rather a sad 'bitch-fest'. I'll never be in the market for this amp (and even if I was I probably wouldn't buy it) but that's no reason to stand at the back making snide comments and flicking the V's.

Marco
09-01-2014, 10:58
To be blunt, this whole thread comes over as rather a sad 'bitch-fest'. I'll never be in the market for this amp (and even if I was I probably wouldn't buy it) but that's no reason to stand at the back making snide comments and flicking the V's.

I have to agree. Guys, let's see some constructive remarks about the product in question, rather than simply using this thread as an excuse to slag off Naim - a company which others and I have a great deal of respect for.

From now on, any 'bitchy-type' remarks about Naim will simply be removed.

I trust that I've made myself clear? Cheers!

Marco.

JazzBones
09-01-2014, 11:54
I have to agree. Guys, let's see some constructive remarks about the product in question, rather than simply using this thread as an excuse to slag off Naim - a company which others and I have a great deal of respect for.

Marco.

Glad to see this Marco. I myself use classic Naims and have done so for many a year. I have NEVER thought of them as the very best and the end all and 'B' all but I like them as do many other content users world wide including the USA. It appears in the eyes and ears of some that I'm misguided, I can live with that. My posts and visits to AoS have dwindle in the past few months simply because I regard AoS as being 'Naim hostile' with the exception of a few and leaning towards unbalanced view points. I totally agree that Naim is definitely not for everyone, what is (?), but its a great British Company selling world wide and the Brits should encourage not knock their endeavours as is their want (by some)... I guess it takes an Anglophile Aussie to tell you poms this :D!

By the way, I don't go to the Naim site because of some one eyed ballsed up thinking and belief over there.

MartinT. that Chord amp takes some looking at and could find a place as sculptured work at the Tate Modern?:lol: By the way my Naim Monos went back to Naim after 17 years of constant use for an overhaul, that was back in 2007. I would guess that many a valve user would have had to buy new valves etc., during this period, no?

Marco
09-01-2014, 12:11
Glad to see this Marco.

My posts and visits to AoS have dwindle in the past few months simply because I regard AoS as being 'Naim hostile' with the exception of a few and leaning towards unbalanced view points.

No problem, Ron. I'm sorry you had that (completely wrong) impression.

Honestly, if you knew my past relationship with Naim, and how well I used to get on with some of the guys there, including Paul Stephenson, who has very kindly had me as a guest in his home, the very idea of AoS being "Naim hostile" would be an anathema! ;)

Anyway, please visit as often as you can, as I always enjoy reading your contributions :)

Marco.

P.S If you spot any remarks in future that you consider as being unfairly "Naim hostile", then please let me know, via PM, in case I miss them. Incidentally, that applies to everyone else.

Joe
09-01-2014, 12:12
I have to agree. Guys, let's see some constructive remarks about the product in question

I doubt that anyone here has heard it, so constructive and destructive comments about its sound quality are equally moot, but surely it's not out of order to question its stratospheric price?

Marco
09-01-2014, 12:17
Not at all, Joe, but like every other remark made on this forum by any member, it must be done in a friendly and constructive manner.

In any case, you can still make constructive comments about a product without having heard it, providing those comments are general in nature and not relating to aspects of its sonic performance, unless of course one has relevant listening experience, enabling such comments to be made.

Marco.

MartinT
09-01-2014, 12:18
MartinT. that Chord amp takes some looking at and could find a place as sculptured work at the Tate Modern?:lol: By the way my Naim Monos went back to Naim after 17 years of constant use for an overhaul, that was back in 2007. I would guess that many a valve user would have had to buy new valves etc., during this period, no?

Hi Ron

Good after sales service is highly valued by me, and 17 years of use is something to be respected. My Chord is 13 years old now so I'm playing catch-up. Hope you took my contributions as light-hearted - we all need to have an element of thick skin sometimes for the equipment that we choose to use :)

chris@panteg
09-01-2014, 12:26
Very impressive , I've always felt Naim to be an acquired taste in musical presentation but people have different taste's .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p6o-R8Qp5Ps

doodoos
09-01-2014, 12:46
I'm sure the product may sound blissful but for that dosh I'd rather have the darTZeel monoblocks ta very much.

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 13:05
Go to the Munich show and you will see no end of gear priced in this manner. Whether this is right or wrong is another matter, but don't think Naim are unique in this respect.

A couple of 'constructive' thoughts do come to mind though. The first is that none of Naims own speakers have ever been terribly inefficient or presented a difficult load - so the power of this new amp is not aimed at them (presumably). Also, Naim have always espoused active operation and the passive crossovers for their own speakers have always been seen (by Naim anyway) as a bit of a stop gap before going active. This new amp is sold as a system - effectively a very large integrated; there doesn't seem to be the opportunity to add more power amps as would be needed for an active system. I do wonder who (other than the wealthy obviously) this amplifier is intended for. Finally, the new amp is fully balanced throughout - but none of Naims source components offer balanced outputs....(as yet)...

----------
Holding Chord up as any kind of paradigm for value or aesthetic beauty does make me smile though :).

pure sound
09-01-2014, 13:16
Go to the Munich show and you will see no end of gear priced in this manner. Whether this is right or wrong is another matter, but don't think Naim are unique in this respect.

Indeed. These Naim items aren't even that expensive compared to some of what's out there.

I gather it may be at Bristol which will be interesting.

Clive197
09-01-2014, 13:20
I think you are all missing the point.
Statement products from any manufacturer rarely sell into double numbers, if at all. They are produced to display what a company is capable of doing.

Cyrus is my favoured manufacturer and if they produced a £125k amp I don't think they would intend to sell many. It would just be a 'STATEMENT'

Car manufacturers have been doing it for years.

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 13:22
I gather it may be at Bristol which will be interesting.

Hmm.. will probably make the effort then as it probably won't be seen that often.

MartinT
09-01-2014, 13:26
A couple of 'constructive' thoughts do come to mind though. The first is that none of Naims own speakers have ever been terribly inefficient or presented a difficult load - so the power of this new amp is not aimed at them (presumably). Also, Naim have always espoused active operation and the passive crossovers for their own speakers have always been seen (by Naim anyway) as a bit of a stop gap before going active. This new amp is sold as a system - effectively a very large integrated; there doesn't seem to be the opportunity to add more power amps as would be needed for an active system. I do wonder who (other than the wealthy obviously) this amplifier is intended for. Finally, the new amp is fully balanced throughout - but none of Naims source components offer balanced outputs....(as yet)...

There is some kind of joint venture or ownership between Naim and Focal (especially the previously named JM Lab section). Jacques Mahul has often said that he dislikes bi-wiring or bi-amping. His speakers only have single terminals with internal passive crossovers (certainly in the Mezzo Utopias I used to own). I spot some strong influence here.

I also spotted the internal balanced topology, which is a positive move. Speaks to forthcoming new balanced source components, I guess.

stupinder
09-01-2014, 13:40
Good on Naim I say! If they believe there's a market for it and they can sell to that market then brilliant.
I actually think this is clever marketing aimed to get the folk who will never be able to afford this level of expenditure to buy into the brand at a lower price point - other brands do this in all market sectors.
Like it or not we live in a society that is unjust and unfair and all the rest and I don't get the folks who say that this is obscene or whatever - if they really cared they'd be doing something positive about actually changing the way the world works rather than banging on about bits of kit in an industry that relatively few give a monkey's about.

stupinder
09-01-2014, 13:41
I think you are all missing the point.
Statement products from any manufacturer rarely sell into double numbers, if at all. They are produced to display what a company is capable of doing.

Cyrus is my favoured manufacturer and if they produced a £125k amp I don't think they would intend to sell many. It would just be a 'STATEMENT'

Car manufacturers have been doing it for years.
Nail head succesfully hit.

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 14:33
Statement designs do usually follow the existing ideology of the manufacturer though – or point toward future ideology.

YNWaN
09-01-2014, 14:36
Jacques Mahul has often said that he dislikes bi-wiring or bi-amping.

Well, is it bi-amping or active operation that he dislikes (easy to confuse as active operation is sometimes called b-amping in the US). Naim have never supported bi-amping or bi-wiring - but active operation is completely different.

RichB
09-01-2014, 14:42

Marco.

Fair play Marco, but let there be no confusion. I'd have made the same comment irrespective of the manufacturer.

Even if money were no object I'd still have moral concerns at that price.

Marco
09-01-2014, 15:01
Sure, Rich. I have no issue with that whatsoever, or any other justified constructive criticism of the amplifier in question.

It's simply that these types of threads often attract petty jealously and/or sneering cynics, with little better to do with their time than slag off what doesn't fit with their narrow, agenda-driven, view of the world.

Like others have said, there's a damn sight more 'immorally priced' hi-fi equipment around than Naim gear. For examples of this, one only has to consult the current Absolute Sounds product portfolio! ;)

Marco.

RichB
09-01-2014, 15:06
Sure, Rich. I have no issue with that whatsoever, or any other justified constructive criticism of the amplifier in question.

It's simply that these types of threads often attract petty jealously and/or sneering cynics, with little better to do with their time than slag off what doesn't fit with their narrow, agenda-driven, view of the world.

Like others have said, there's a damn sight more 'immorally priced' hi-fi equipment around than Naim gear. For examples of this, one only has to consult the current Absolute Sounds product portfolio! ;)

Marco.

Quite... Now if it had been a Rega amp i'd be remortgaging the house right now;)

JazzBones
09-01-2014, 15:50
Quite... Now if it had been a Rega amp i'd be remortgaging the house right now;)

When they do go for it, I like Rega! Although a Naim amp user as mentioned further back, I'm certain I would not buy the big bugger even if the winning ticket on the Euro Lotto was in my wallet... imagine lugging those big babes to and from Scalford to demo your system :eek: In fact I'm running hot then cold on downsizing, thus freeing up real estate, to a good intergrated amp that will give me the same as what I enjoy now, and it don't have to be a Naim, any suggestions? Point me to the appropriate thread please?
What I enjoy about Naim is the much vaunted PRaT as having been a semi pro modern Jazz drummer years ago I liked the kick of working with the bass player, and whatever rhythm section that propelled the band along... you appreciate this more when you are actually sitting in the middle of it bum notes and all and those rim shots on the side of a snare drum makes you jump and spill beer :)

Marco et MartinT I'm slowly growing thicker skin the thickness of a WW2 concrete bunker :eyebrows:

MartinT
09-01-2014, 16:05
Well, is it bi-amping or active operation that he dislikes (easy to confuse as active operation is sometimes called b-amping in the US). Naim have never supported bi-amping or bi-wiring - but active operation is completely different.

What I mean is that bi-anything is not supported as their speakers only sport a single pair of terminals, connected to an internal crossover. Active configuration, bypassing any crossover, is certainly not achievable.

Joe
09-01-2014, 16:28
How times change!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?3065-I-used-to-quite-like-Rega-but&highlight=sppv

Marco
09-01-2014, 16:37
Well, IMO, the Rega turntable in question was, in its particular context, a more ridiculously priced item than the Naim amp being discussed here, and so deserved to be slated accordingly.

Besides, I don't have a particularly soft spot for Rega, as I do for Naim, and when it comes to the 'toytown' nature of many low-mass belt-drive T/Ts, particularly ones priced at $10k, I'm prone to going off on one, so feel free to spank me...! :spank:

:D

Marco.

Beobloke
09-01-2014, 16:39
How times change!

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?3065-I-used-to-quite-like-Rega-but&highlight=sppv

Indeed - what happened to the "SP10 I'm going to buy next year"! ;)

Marco
09-01-2014, 16:48
Lol - if you're referring to me, I didn't need to buy one in the end, as my modded 1210 outperformed it!! :ner:

Marco.

P.S what's also worth noting on that thread is that my genuine feelings were summed up in post #13, when I had my 'sensible head' on... ;)

DSJR
09-01-2014, 17:38
Well, IMO, the Rega turntable in question was, in its particular context, a more ridiculously priced item than the Naim amp being discussed here, and so deserved to be slated accordingly.

Besides, I don't have a particularly soft spot for Rega, as I do for Naim, and when it comes to the 'toytown' nature of many low-mass belt-drive T/Ts, particularly ones priced at $10k, I'm prone to going off on one, so feel free to spank me...! :spank:

:D

Marco.

I'm way behind if you're speaking of a Rega deck for $10K (is this true?) but I did think I understood the thinking behind Regas little decks, which are so good for (at one time) so little money (you had to be there comparing them Marco to realise just how good they were, despite their supposedly cheap choice of plinths etc...)

My first thoughts about this Naim were to fall about laughing, but then I realised that the plain multi-box stereo gear market is dying quite fast, certainly on the new market as there is now the internet and shedloads of good used hear out there, and that if a company like Naim want to be recognised in the lucrative far eastern Top End market, then a statement product like this probably has to be done. Mind you, B&O put a HUGE amount of effort into their confections too and in comparison, they're beer budget - I understand the current stuff from B&O is back to deserving proper recognition as 'proper High Fidelity' although you pay for it... Who cares if they only sell one or two, look at the humungous profit each will make?

r100
09-01-2014, 18:44
what a waste of aluminium