PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hynes Audio Ltd

Paul Hynes
07-01-2014, 15:50
Paul Hynes Audio Ltd new manufacturing facility is now operational. This facility has been set up to take over production and administration of my Paul Hynes Design product range. It is not possible to transfer the whole range at once due to the size of the range, the time required for the product documentation and the staff training on the production line, so over the next few years I will gradually transfer the Paul Hynes Design product range to the new manufacturing facility. I will post a notification on my forum trade thread when each product is transferred for availability from the new manufacturing facility. A web site for Paul Hynes Audio Ltd is currently under development and I will also post a notice when this is on-line.

I have already transferred two products into the new company. The very popular SR3 power supply previously sold by myself as Paul Hynes Design and the new lower cost Paul Hynes Audio SR2 power supply designed as a low cost upgrade for both switching and linear wall-warts and other external power supplies, supplied with many audio products nowadays.

The SR2 power supply can provide 1.4 amps DC and is available in the following DC voltages :- 3v3, 5v, 6v, 7v, 9v, 12v, 15v, 18v and 21v. The SR2 is supplied with a mains lead and a DC lead terminated with a DC plug to suit your equipment DC jack. Alternative connectors can be fitted if required at extra cost. The SR2 power supply costs £195.

The latest model of the SR3 power supply is available in the following DC voltage/current ratings :-
3v3 2A, 5v 3A, 6v 2A, 7v 2A, 9v 2A, 12v 2A, 15v 1.6A, 18v 1.4A, 21v 1.4A. The SR3 is a higher performance power supply than the SR2 and it is not supplied with a mains lead, as most customers prefer to use after market upgrade IEC mains leads with the SR3. The SR3 costs £300. The DC lead is also a separate item as several options are available for the SR3. The DC3C annealed copper DC lead costs £50 and the DC3FS annealed fine silver DC lead costs £85. The internal wiring from the regulator module to the DC output connector can be specified as fine silver for an additional £10 when the power supply is ordered or £20 plus return carriage when retro-fitted.

Because there are now more technicians available for production at PHA Ltd, both the SR2 and the SR3 are now available on a short lead time to shipping, which is currently between 5 to 15 working days.

Contact details are :-

For orders contact David Webb
e-mail sales@paulhynesaudio.com
Telephone 01953 883840

For product technical advice contact Paul Hynes
e-mail Info@paulhynesaudio.com

The business address for the new manufacturing company is

Paul Hynes Audio Ltd,
Unit 10 Linmore Court,
Threxton Road Industrial Estate,
Watton,
Norfolk,
IP25 6NG

All the best for the New Year
Regards
Paul

Complin
19-01-2014, 13:46
Can you detail the differences and advantages, sonic or otherwise one can expect from the SR3 over the SR2 in relation to the extra cost please

Paul Hynes
21-01-2014, 11:33
Can you detail the differences and advantages, sonic or otherwise one can expect from the SR3 over the SR2 in relation to the extra cost please

Hello Malcolm,

The SR2 will give a higher performance than typical switch mode or linear supplies based on LM317 or similar integrated circuit regulators. It works very well with low power equipment (up to 1.4 Amps continuous and up to 2.2 Amps transient).

The SR3 uses a better regulator circuit, which, compared to the SR2, has lower noise and can provide more current (From 1.4 to 3 Amps continuous depending on the voltage setting and up to 20 Amps transient). The SR3 is the better choice for lower background noise and a more stable sound stage during large dynamic musical events.

Regards
Paul

loosend
28-01-2014, 23:52
I recently dealt with David Webb for my SR-3 and am proud to have the first but one (as that is retained by the company) off the line, I also had the fine silver upgrades internal and external. The new case is very smart and the supply itself sounds absolutely excellent, giving benefits over my previous Teddy Parso supply.

So thanks Paul and wish u and David (who is also a great guy) all the best :)

DaveK
29-01-2014, 09:56
Hi Paul,
Best wishes with your new venture. Last time I heard, you were on the outer western edge of UK located on a beautiful Scottish island - did the recent horrendous windy spell blow you down to Norfolk? Bit quieter down there ;) .
Dave.

Paul Hynes
29-01-2014, 12:15
Hi Dan,

Pleased to help.

Hi Dave,

Thank you. I am still located in the Western Isles and the weather has not changed my mind about living here although it can be a little inconvenient at times. You lead a sheltered life on the mainland.

Regards
Paul

MartinT
30-01-2014, 04:03
Congratulations on getting the production ramped up, Paul. Hope it goes well for you and gives you a little breathing space for some more R&D, not to mention quality of life.

synsei
30-01-2014, 13:50
Congratulations Paul, you deserve every success in this venture and I offer yourself, David and all the staff at Paul Hynes Audio LTD in Watton my very best wishes. You live in a very beautiful part of the country so hopefully you will have a little more time on your hands to enjoy it from now on... ;)

Paul Hynes
30-01-2014, 19:07
Hi Martin and Dave,

Thanks. I guess there will be a few years hard work first before I can go fishing.

Regards
Paul
:fishing:

Wakefield Turntables
30-01-2014, 19:27
Congrats Paul,

No get your act into gear and design us all some swanky new mods for our 1210's :lol:

Regards

Andy

PS when you sending the headamp?

Paul Hynes
30-01-2014, 22:39
Thanks Andy,

Ok, I have something interesting planned for the 1210. No timescale yet as I am very busy at present and no clues either or Mr Copycat will probably do it before me. I have to get the head amp and it’s matching MM Phono Stage ready first. I am hoping to have the PCBs back from the manufacturer by the end of Feb. I should have all the materials for making the head amp and phono stage by then too, so mid March is a reasonable estimate for the head amp. If you want to try the MM phono stage as well that will probably be a couple of weeks later.

Damn, this Lagavulin is good, hic! Hmm, not a lot left. Wonder if they will send me a complementary bottle if I keep plugging it.

Good night.

Regards
Paul

MartinT
31-01-2014, 06:59
Remember the enhanced temperature controlled crystal circuit that you're going to design for the 1210 (!) was my idea. :)

Wakefield Turntables
31-01-2014, 12:27
Thanks Andy,

Ok, I have something interesting planned for the 1210. No timescale yet as I am very busy at present and no clues either or Mr Copycat will probably do it before me. I have to get the head amp and it’s matching MM Phono Stage ready first. I am hoping to have the PCBs back from the manufacturer by the end of Feb. I should have all the materials for making the head amp and phono stage by then too, so mid March is a reasonable estimate for the head amp. If you want to try the MM phono stage as well that will probably be a couple of weeks later.

Damn, this Lagavulin is good, hic! Hmm, not a lot left. Wonder if they will send me a complementary bottle if I keep plugging it.

Good night.

Regards
Paul

Brilliant! I remember you telling me about this sometime ago! I wonder who Mr. Copycat could be?? :lol:

Paul Hynes
31-01-2014, 19:15
Martin, if I use your idea I will give you recognition, a royalty and a bottle of Lagavulin. Woops, that just slipped out.

Andy, I still have some circuit testing to do before production engineering the item I told you about sometime ago. Until release it is top secret. Trust no one. Tell no one. Print out my original PM, shred it, eat it and then delete it from your computer.

Regards
Paul

Wakefield Turntables
31-01-2014, 19:29
Paul,

No worries, if you need a test deck I'm happy to loan mine. Might be interesting to see how your new top secret project works with the tripple regs.

I think the 1210 has missed his holidays upto Scotland!

Andy

MartinT
31-01-2014, 22:54
Martin, if I use your idea I will give you recognition, a royalty and a bottle of Lagavulin. Woops, that just slipped out.

Let's not wait until it's done. Just hand over the Lagavulin now ;)

Paul Hynes
06-05-2014, 12:54
I have had a number of people asking if there are any reviews of the SR3 to help them get an idea of the performance of the SR3 as a power supply upgrade. Aside from numerous mentions on many of the HiFi forums there have been several reviews on Internet magazines. The links are :-

A very recent review of the latest SR3 (now manufactured by Paul Hynes Audio Ltd) in HiFi Pig by Danny Worth

http://hifipig.com/paul-hynes-sr3-power-supply/

A review of the earlier version Paul Hynes Design SR3 compared to the BPT battery power supply in Positive Feedback online – issue 45 by Dave Clark :-

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue45/bpt.htm

Paul Hynes
20-02-2015, 18:29
The SR5 and SR7 high performance power supplies are now available from Paul Hynes Audio Ltd.

The SR5 can be supplied with the following continuous power ratings :-

5v @ 6A, 6v @ 6A, 9v @ 6A, 12v @ 6A, 15v @ 6A, 18v @ 5A, 21v @ 4.5A, 27v @ 3.8A, 30v @ 3.3A.

The SR5 can power a wide variety of equipment including DACs, Streamers like the Squeezebox range, the Mac Mini, single voltage DC input audio server low power motherboards, Raspberry Pi audio servers, USB cards, as a power source for the Pico ATX voltage converter in low power audio servers.

For a review of the SR5 powering the Mac Mini and also an SR5 powering a Squeezebox Touch see :- http://hifipig.com/paul-hynes-ph5-power-supply/#more-15703

The SR5 costs £600 and the DC5C annealed copper DC lead costs £75. The DC5FS annealed fine silver DC lead costs £145.

The SR7 can be supplied with the following continuous power ratings :-

5v @ 12A, 6v @ 12A, 9v @ 12A, 12v @ 11A, 15v @ 9A, 18v @ 8A, 21v @ 7A, 27v @ 6A, 30v @ 5A.

The SR7 can power a wide variety of equipment including DACs, Streamers like the Squeezebox range, the Mac Mini, single voltage DC input audio server higher power motherboards, Raspberry Pi audio servers, USB cards, as a power source for Pico ATX voltage converters providing power for higher power audio servers.

The SR7 costs £750 and the DC7C annealed copper DC lead costs £100. The DC7FS annealed fine silver DC lead costs £229.

Other DC output voltages can be catered for on request.

These power supplies are shipped via parcel carriers and the cost will vary depending on the destination. We can quote for shipping if you include the destination with your initial enquiry.

Contact details are :-

For orders contact David Webb
e-mail sales@paulhynesaudio.com
Telephone 01953 883840

For product technical advice contact Paul Hynes
e-mail Info@paulhynesaudio.com

The business address for the manufacturing facility is

Paul Hynes Audio Ltd,
Unit 10 Linmore Court,
Threxton Road Industrial Estate,
Watton,
Norfolk,