PDA

View Full Version : Audio Jumble February 2014

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 00:37
Just sent off my form for a stand at the next Audio Jumble in February, first one I've done in years. Anyone else on here going? I've got some very good restored jumble sale finds to sell.

Macca
06-01-2014, 00:50
Is it still in Tonbridge Wells?

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 01:15
It's at the Angel Centre in Tonbridge, I used to go to every one when Dennis Tricket organised themat the Indian YMCA in Warren Street, I was a lot younger then. It was shortly after the last mammoth became extinct IIRC :lol: Bought my first valve amp (Leak) and my first set of drive units to build my first DIY speakers(Wharfedale Bronze 8s put in a horn enclosure) there, happy days.

Is it still in Tonbridge Wells?

Macca
06-01-2014, 01:18
I recall HFW did a report on the very first one I suppose about '93. I'd love to get down to it, always promised myself I would. Are you selling anything exciting?

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 02:21
A pair of fairly rare white Spendor BC1s, very few were factory made in white, these are from December 1973. A pair of almost mint KEF Cadenzas, a couple of refurbished GL 75s, various old tme amps and tuners. i've got a matching Leak Stereo 30 and Stereofetic tuner. All the kit is refurbished and serviced. Plus I have a range of accessories and refurbishing parts that we are going to launch there, so I'm hoping for a good day.

Beobloke
06-01-2014, 10:13
My stall booking form went into the postbox on Saturday.

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 11:18
My stall booking form went into the postbox on Saturday.

I spent Saturday working on kit I want to sell there :lol: I also had to work out wether to hire a van as I'm going to take an RCM down and offer a record cleaning service on the day.

Martyn Miles
07-01-2014, 16:51
I went in 2012. I might go...

I don't realise Paul Stewart would have a stand. I just emailed him about the Radford Bookshelf speakers I was hoping to buy. He has put in an offer, I believe.

They do look an interesting loudspeaker. Arthur Radford and Dr. Bailey knew what they were doing..
I once heard a pair of Tristars in the late 1970s . They sounded superb on the end of a Quad 33/303 with a Thorens TD 150 / SME arm / Shure V15 combination.

IN CONCLUSION . I am very surprised those Radford Bookshelf speakers weren't ' snapped up ' when first advertised here on TAOS Forum.

seoirse2002
07-01-2014, 17:00
I spent Saturday working on kit I want to sell there :lol: I also had to work out wether to hire a van as I'm going to take an RCM down and offer a record cleaning service on the day.

How much are you going to charge to clean records?

PaulStewart
07-01-2014, 19:17
Providing we get the stall near a power point which we have asked, for £2.50 inc a quality poly lined bag.

As for the Radford speakers I want those for my collection, but the advertiser has not got back to me.

Marco
07-01-2014, 19:34
IN CONCLUSION . I am very surprised those Radford Bookshelf speakers weren't ' snapped up ' when first advertised here on TAOS Forum.

I thought you bought the Radfords, Martyn? I seem to recall you posting something along the lines of now that Xmas was over, you were in a financial position to buy them...

Marco.

PaulStewart
07-01-2014, 19:45
Marco,

I had already PM'd the seller when Martyn posted, however the OP has not got back to me despite two PMs, so I'm not going to waste anymore time on it. I already have 7 pairs of speakers that are refurbished and ready to go to the Audio Jumble, plus loads of other good gear. I had fsncied the Radfords for the bedroom system.

Marco
07-01-2014, 20:11
Marco,

I had already PM'd the seller when Martyn posted, however the OP has not got back to me despite two PMs, so I'm not going to waste anymore time on it.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Paul. I've never understood why folk fanny about like that... :rolleyes:

If you're selling something, do it bloody quickly and efficiently, and get it SOLD!!

:exactly:

Marco.

Martyn Miles
09-01-2014, 11:50
I thought you bought the Radfords, Martyn? I seem to recall you posting something along the lines of now that Xmas was over, you were in a financial position to buy them...

Marco.

I told the Seller I was in a position to buy them, but at the end of Jan. PS had contacted him, so I told Paul if he wanted them I was OK with it.

As Paul says, no replies? I am still interested, as they do look an interesting loudspeaker. I have a great deal of time for the Arthur Radford / Dr. Bailey designs.

Those Tristars I heard in the '70s were superb...

Martyn Miles
09-01-2014, 11:53

Marco.

I told the Seller I was in a position to buy them, but at the end of Jan. PS had contacted him, so I told Paul if he wanted them I was OK with it.

As Paul says, no replies. I am still interested, as they do look an interesting loudspeaker. I have a great deal of time for the Arthur Radford / Dr. Bailey designs.

Those Tristars I heard in the '70s were superb...

PaulStewart
09-01-2014, 22:29
Mammoth day today, took the day off and sorted more gear out for the audio jumble. Two amps (a Leak Stereo 70 and an Armstrong 521) both worked but were crackly now cleaned an silent :)

I would have kept the Radfords in my collection. Does anyone remember the Daline, I think these were a Bailey design as well. Small transmission lines using a b110. I had a pair back in the early 70s, a mate of mine made them from a design in HFN.

walpurgis
09-01-2014, 23:28
Does anyone remember the Daline, I think these were a Bailey design as well. Small transmission lines using a b110. I had a pair back in the early 70s, a mate of mine made them from a design in HFN.

I remember those. I think I may even still have the design article somewhere. They were tuned to very low frequencies as I recall, couldn't have had a huge output I'd have thought.

PaulStewart
10-01-2014, 02:01
I remember those. I think I may even still have the design article somewhere. They were tuned to very low frequencies as I recall, couldn't have had a huge output I'd have thought.

Quite right, but for their size they were mustard :) One time my mate brought his pair over and we hooked them up to a JVC CD-4 system, this sounded awesome. On reflection, they may not have been a Bailey design, but they did use his long hair wool.

Martyn Miles
10-01-2014, 07:32
Quite right, but for their size they were mustard :) One time my mate brought his pair over and we hooked them up to a JVC CD-4 system, this sounded awesome. On reflection, they may not have been a Bailey design, but they did use his long hair wool.

Ah, a mention of his long- hair wool again. I recall HFN saying that it could improve some reflex loudspeakers so I put some in a pair of B & W DM4s, which had if I recall correctly, has a similar filling. Probably synthetic wool.

Did they sound any different? Only on some classical music with a prominent double bass was the response marginally smoother. The '4s didn't have a ' one note bass ' by any means, but it did clean up the bass as it seemed to reduce any lingering ' one note ' effects.

In conclusion, the DM4s were one of the 'better ' designs of the mid. '70s, comparable with BC 1s which I bought after the B & Ws. The Spendors stayed for 32 years...

nat8808
10-01-2014, 12:37
Ah, thanks for the clarification, Paul. I've never understood why folk fanny about like that... :rolleyes:

If you're selling something, do it bloody quickly and efficiently, and get it SOLD!!

:exactly:

Marco.

Sometimes people simply aren't regular visitors to forums, advertise on many many places and don't set up any notifications.

I've certainly done the latter before - checking emails but no notifications of any interest so don't go to the forums to double check..

Better policy is to put a direct email address in the advert and ask people to email not PM.

Hey, people could be having a hard time and selling a pair of speakers suddenly very low on their current priorities - we don't know so shouldn't complain.

PaulStewart
10-01-2014, 12:47
Sometimes people simply aren't regular visitors to forums, advertise on many many places and don't set up any notifications.

I've certainly done the latter before - checking emails but no notifications of any interest so don't go to the forums to double check..

Better policy is to put a direct email address in the advert and ask people to email not PM.

Hey, people could be having a hard time and selling a pair of speakers suddenly very low on their current priorities - we don't know so shouldn't complain.

Sorry but I'm with Marco on this one, if you advertise deal with it promptly, or advertise when you are ready to deal with it, Simples (as some increasingly irritating meerkats would say) On a happier note, our wristbands and stall allocation arrived this morning. With confirmation that we will have a stall with power, so the PRC will be there for a record cleaning service on the day :fingers:

I'll post a full list of kit we are taking before the day. What are you bringing Adam?

Martyn Miles
10-01-2014, 18:55

Bottom line for me is. I would like the Radfords, but expected PS to buy as he had contacted the Seller and made a provisional commitment.

I have ' moved on ' with modifying a pair of original Wharfedale Diamonds, but if the Bookshelf models seller responded ( and accept my offer ) I could well go for them.

PaulStewart
07-02-2014, 20:08
The Audio Jumble is almost upon us, as promised I've put a list of kit I'm taking down on Trade Impressions . I'm also taking a Loricraft RCM and am offering a cleaning service. Please check the list and If anyone wants to reserve anything and pick it up on the day e-Mail me on paulstewartphoto@me.com as I get that one on my phone.

Cheers

Marco
07-02-2014, 20:21
Sorry but I'm with Marco on this one, if you advertise deal with it promptly, or advertise when you are ready to deal with it, Simples (as some increasingly irritating meerkats would say)

Precisely. I can't be doing with the fannying about of indecisive, disorganised twits! It's a major bugbear of mine, as I'm completely the opposite, when it comes to doing business.

Anyway, Paul, I hope you have a successful jumble and sell plenty. I'd love to come, but these things are always fooking miles away..... :rolleyes:

Marco.

walpurgis
07-02-2014, 20:45
Hmm, tempted to go this Sunday. I haven't been for a few years. Not that I actually need anything, but you never know what may catch the eye. And, who knows which other AOS members I may bump into. We should wear AOS badges, so we can spot each other. I may wear one just for fun.

Old boy
08-02-2014, 18:06
I'll be there for 9.am avoiding the rush

PaulStewart
08-02-2014, 23:20
We will be on stall 114' if it doesn't flood :lol: I told the river is very high.

Oldpinkman
09-02-2014, 07:16
We will be on stall 114' if it doesn't flood :lol: I told the river is very high.

The river is very high. Peaked at Christmas levels again yesterday at 8. All our river crossings flooded. At the very least the car park will be wet

Gordon Steadman
09-02-2014, 07:48
The river is very high. Peaked at Christmas levels again yesterday at 8. All our river crossings flooded. At the very least the car park will be wet

I am totally pissed off with all the rain as I'm waiting for the main roof to be replaced. Can't imagine what it must be like to be knee deep in it too.

Oldpinkman
09-02-2014, 08:20
Update. Teston crossi ng is open again so the river levels are down at least 2 ft

Macca
09-02-2014, 11:50
I am totally pissed off with all the rain as I'm waiting for the main roof to be replaced. Can't imagine what it must be like to be knee deep in it too.

My roof is fine but my heating is knackered. So it can rain as much as it wants as long as it keeps the temperatures up. It's an ill wind and all that ...;) Rare that we ever get a day around here any time of year that it doesn't rain at least a bit so we are used to it anyway :)

Oldpinkman
09-02-2014, 14:45
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/DSC_0084_zps606cae6d.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/DSC_0084_zps606cae6d.jpg.html)

Macca
09-02-2014, 14:47
Yeah - that's broken.

nat8808
09-02-2014, 15:59
Sorry but I'm with Marco on this one, if you advertise deal with it promptly, or advertise when you are ready to deal with it

When some things take a month or two to sell at a resonable price, how can one guarantee you'll get interest when you're ready to deal with it?

I'm freelance, so what might seem a couple of week's free time can become two weeks of hellish hours, every day no days off, at the drop of a hat. I'd still want the advert live though as it still needs to attract attention which takes time - taking it down could potentially miss the right person, delay a sale by literally a year if you only keep it live when you've definately nothing on.

Hi-fi for me is a hobby so certainly don't see it as a business - I appreciate people who are relaxed and laid-back about things, buyers or sellers.

nat8808
09-02-2014, 16:00
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/DSC_0084_zps606cae6d.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/DSC_0084_zps606cae6d.jpg.html)

So, did it go ahead, the Audio Jumble?

Would have liked to have gone but I'm too busy at the moment - always happens that way.

Marco
09-02-2014, 16:16
Up in Scotland they'd call that a 'wee puddle'. No excuse not to go, with a canoe.... Only the lazy or unadventurous would miss it!

Marco.

Old boy
09-02-2014, 16:20
Nowhere near as busy as normal,tons of vinyl made the trip worthwhile,noticed a couple of decent priced Garrard 401s amid lots of overpriced tat.
There was a wonderful oak plinth with mounts for both 9 and 12 inch arms, sadly it was fitted with a rough looking 401 and the guy didn't want to split the pair so alas it didn't come home with me real shame was just what I was looking for.

Lodgesound
09-02-2014, 20:21
Loads of folk trying to ask silly stupid money for old pish now - thankfully this trend is subsiding as no market in the world will support un-needed and un-supported rubbish for any length of time.

The days of asking silly money for old machinery is over - back to reality thankfully....

PaulStewart
09-02-2014, 20:36
I had a good day at the show, I don't think I was selling tat nor, I hope, did the guys who bought from me. The guy on the stall next to me had a Unico integrated which didn't sell at £500, a real bargain..... I guess these things are worth what people are willing to pay.

PaulStewart
10-02-2014, 11:17
Having had a night and a large calvados to recover :) I think I can say that the first Audio Jumble I've done in many years was a success for me. There were the usual "Tyre Kickers" you get at all these events. They turn up with no intention of paying proper money for anything, but you're always going to get that. Even those that did not buy in the end but were serious about it provided interesting conversation :)

Viv and I were offering a record cleaning service with the Loriicraft PRC 4 RCM and the last customers of the day were a bunch of kids (late teens early 20s) one of whom had just bought an original mono copy of The Beatles "Please Please Me" they came to get it cleaned and we got into a discussion about how water is not wet enough to clean records, which tickled them somewhat. The main thing was their incredible enthusiasm for the music and for vinyl, it really made my day.

Lots of vinyl, but I had no time to buy any this time round. Next time I may take a double stall and do vinyl on one and kit on the other. Almost bought a Ferrograph Logic 7, but decided to wait till a good Revox comes up. A good day all in all, lots or bargains to be had, if you were prepared to look hard and dicker on the price. Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers all

walpurgis
11-02-2014, 23:53

I just found all the original 1975 Hi-Fi News articles with cabinet schematics for the B110 based Daline speaker if anybody is interested.