PDA

View Full Version : Croft pre-amps: old vs new?

fiddlemaker
30-12-2013, 14:36
Hello all. Over Christmas my 20 something year old micro A developed a severe case of the crackles, so I think the time has come to return it to Glenn for a service. This has got me thinking about whether I should have it modded/upgraded to more recent specs while he has it (presumably to something along the lines of the current micro 25 range). Has anyone compared the old micros to the current range? The thought of buying a new 25r has also crossed my mind. One new amp every 22 years hardly seems extravagant, but I don't want to change unless there will be some worthwhile improvement. All advice welcome.
Cheers
John

worrasf
30-12-2013, 15:05
Hello all. Over Christmas my 20 something year old micro A developed a severe case of the crackles, so I think the time has come to return it to Glenn for a service. This has got me thinking about whether I should have it modded/upgraded to more recent specs while he has it (presumably to something along the lines of the current micro 25 range). Has anyone compared the old micros to the current range? The thought of buying a new 25r has also crossed my mind. One new amp every 22 years hardly seems extravagant, but I don't want to change unless there will be some worthwhile improvement. All advice welcome.
Cheers
John

Hi John,
I currently have a 25R - this was after having the previous 25 upgraded by Glenn after about a year of ownership. Prior to that I had a Croft Vitale.

I have to say the Vitale was the best bang for by buck on the planet but the 25 bought better control, dynamics and PRaT. The move up to the 25R bought further refinements and improvement in these areas but also better imaging, a more finessed presentation with more fine detail, low frequency control and even further noise reduction. Then the tube rolling started :mental:

So no doubt the 25R is better than the 25 which is better than the Vitale (I know you didnt ask about Vitale but its the nearest comparison I can opine on). The differences between each is not subtle. I cant think of a reason why (or for what) I would change my 25R.

Steve

DSJR
30-12-2013, 18:54
The circuits of old and new aren't so different I believe, and Glenn has a nack of nifty updates to old timers like yours, especially in the phono stage output impedance, which is beneficial regardless :) Unless you want to update the ergonomics as well, I'd see what Glenn can do for your existing pre in all honesty and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised :)

nat8808
31-12-2013, 07:06
To stop the crackles, have you tried cleaning the valve contacts? Even just pulling them in and out of their sockets a few times might do it - has solved distortion for me before.

Or could be a dirty volume pot or selector switch - some switch cleaner sprayed on them and twiddled a few times could help (with the unit disconnected of course).

dowser
04-01-2014, 18:37
I bought an old micro II a few years back & had Glenn bring the OP stage up to latest spec, fixed the valve rectifier cct (likely issue with yours too) and replace a micro phonic valve in phono stage. Sounds bloody fantastic, but I didn't listen to it before the work.

fiddlemaker
04-01-2014, 20:41
Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone.
It's now been sent to the seaside for some tweakage.

fiddlemaker
30-01-2014, 13:39
The circuits of old and new aren't so different I believe, and Glenn has a nack of nifty updates to old timers like yours, especially in the phono stage output impedance, which is beneficial regardless :) Unless you want to update the ergonomics as well, I'd see what Glenn can do for your existing pre in all honesty and I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised :)

Well, it's back from sunny Scarborough and I'm more than pleasantly surprised. Absolutely delighted. Glenn does great work.