PDA

View Full Version : Technical Help Needed (please)

johnB
27-12-2013, 19:05
Hi, not sure which part of AOS to post this but I'm sure that some kind person will help.

Have recently acquired a sort of rumbling sound intermittently through the active bass of one of my 66s.
First thought was that I hadn't set up arm/cartridge correctly but am getting similar on cd playback.
Tried switching channels but noise comes from the same speaker.
So it seems that it is a problem with the speaker.

It's not like permanent tinnitus or anything just really annoying especially on quieter tracks.

I'm a bit of a technical f**k-wit so any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
John

StanleyB
27-12-2013, 19:23
I would swap the bass drivers over between the two speakers, and then listen again to find out if the rumble had followed the driver, or stayed behind with the speaker box. But doing this does require a bit of careful and patient handling of the bass unit.

johnB
27-12-2013, 20:09
I would swap the bass drivers over between the two speakers, and then listen again to find out if the rumble had followed the driver, or stayed behind with the speaker box. But doing this does require a bit of careful and patient handling of the bass unit.

Thanks Stan, is this designed to isolate whether it's a problem with the bass-cone or the electronic-gubbins inside?

StanleyB
27-12-2013, 20:12
Thanks Stan, is this designed to isolate whether it's a problem with the bass-cone or the electronic-gubbins inside?
You got it in one :).

johnB
30-12-2013, 18:28
You got it in one :).

Stan, I lifted out the bass cone, turned it 90degrees and screwed it back in.....seems to have sorted the problem. Thanks
John

DSJR
30-12-2013, 18:50
Ah, cone droop which makes the voice coil rub a little. What you've done is a perfect solution and I think you'll find that prolonged use will help further in preventing it happening again for a good long while.