PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 124: 17.12.2013: Grover Washington, Jr - Come Morning (1981)

Album Club
17-12-2013, 00:08
(Audio)Al has chosen the album for this week - thanks a lot to him.
Remember if you want to vote, then please listen to the album in full first and please join in with the discussion.

Grover Washington, Jr - 'Come Morning' (1981)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RLlV0nOrL.jpg

open.spotify.com/album/4dgHOAMUEnyaA0bp1JxhAn

?v=BwC0jHD46vo

My selection for this round of Album Club is Grover Washington, Jr
The album title is Come Morning.

Grover Washington, Jr. was an American jazz-funk / soul-jazz saxophonist.
Born: December 12, 1943, Buffalo, New York, United States
Died: December 17, 1999, New York City, New York, United States
Sadly only with us until his mid 50"s

A master of the sax and other wind instruments , Grover was a great band leader as seen in some on line gigs, always encouraging his fellow band musicians and coaxing the best for everyone.

I like the mix of instrumental and vocal track within this album allowing both to take center stage and be enjoyed.
Personally Sax is one of my favorite wind instruments

Hope you enjoy this ( something very different from me )

Cheers

Allen

Nigel
17-12-2013, 01:13
This was the follow up to the classic 'Winelight' wasn't it? I have this on LP and would personally class it as good but not great. I once saw Grover in concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

Bazil
18-12-2013, 17:47
I saw the album cover and thought what is the point of me listening to this but that is not the point of Album Club.
So I sat down and played it right through, I just don't like this sort of music, the guy can play of course and this what makes it so unfair when it comes to voting.
For the production and talent not doubt a 9 but in the context of what it did for me 2/10 as it said next to it "I listened once and once only".

Oldpinkman
18-12-2013, 18:05
Not listened yet so not voted yet, but since I love Winelight...
Just ordered a vinyl "mint" from our local dealer. Hopefully before Christmas. I can't believe how much I sound like my Grandads Grandad but I havent got the hang of spotify and digital yet, and I'm too proud to ask a teenager :(

loo
22-12-2013, 23:14
Not sure about this one, the instrumental parts were like listening to the soundtrack of an episode of taxi , I wasn't very keen on the Jammin cover
so I guess a 4/10 from me
Paul

John
23-12-2013, 05:29
I will give this a listen always liked Eric Gales as a guitar player I find I am enjoying some of the musicanship but the rhythm is a bit to 80s funk for me, By the way I quite like 70s funk based stuff

losenotaminute
23-12-2013, 10:44
I voted 4, not my cup of tea despite liking 80s music. I preferred the tracks with vocals as there there wasn't enough variety in the other tracks to keep my interest, and I'm not a huge sax fan.

Lawrence

John
23-12-2013, 12:24
Well I gave it a go: far to soft jazz funk for me. I do appreciate the musicianship however I prefer the instrumentals to the vocals which are far to smooth for me I give it a 3 Sorry Ali

Oldpinkman
23-12-2013, 15:02
I'm glad I bought it, because I wanted a bit more chillin music, but I think with Winelight and Reed Seed I now have the full adult dose of Grover. Great production, great musicianship, I preferred the instrumentals. I have a mate whose just started doing this stuff again, and its good to watch him live, but I prefer something a bit more musically interesting. Gave it a 6 since like I said, I wanted to stock up on "smooth" - but I don't think its as good as Winelight.

But just right for chillin :cool:

kenworthy100
23-12-2013, 15:37
This is not something I would normally listen to, I was surprised I really enjoyed the album, the tracks "East River Drive" and "I'm all yours" have particularly relaxing qualities. 7/10

Audioman
24-12-2013, 11:48
Can't criticise the musicianship but this is merely pleasant background music. Inoffensive but falls into the elevator music category. Wouldn't want to listen again so it's a 4/10 from me.

high.spirits
17-01-2014, 20:14
Not a great fan of jazz but after a couple of listens I quite like this - unexpectedly! Thanks for suggesting. 7/10 from me.

MartinT
28-01-2014, 20:14
I found little to hang on to. It's very competently played but just doesn't stir my soul at all. 2/10.