PDA

View Full Version : BATVK60 power amp

lonergan2468
07-06-2009, 13:02
I am currently looking for a power amp to push my Martin Logan Quest Z. has any one any knowledge of this amp. Please would some kind soul help me out here. I am getting confused with what people tell me. OK its not down to Watts but voltage or current or something like that. CONFUSED!!!

Spectral Morn
07-06-2009, 18:03
I am currently looking for a power amp to push my Martin Logan Quest Z. has any one any knowledge of this amp. Please would some kind soul help me out here. I am getting confused with what people tell me. OK its not down to Watts but voltage or current or something like that. CONFUSED!!!

Hi Tim....

Well it so happens that I own/use a Bat VK75 which is the replacement for the VK60 amplifier.

The VK75 is a bit more open detailed and powerful but similar (there is a Bat family sound) Stereophiles on-line review service FREE should have a review of the Bat you can read.

Its massive..very long and the 4 6c33c valves get very warm/hot, so good ventilation is vital. In order to get best sound you need to run it balanced using a pre-amplifier which is balanced too. The Bat power amplifiers only have XLR inputs no RCA inputs so if you do plan to use a single ended pre-amplifier you will need RCA to XLR adapters (there is a slight loss in sound quality doing this).

If the pre-amplifier you are using is European or UK the XLR outputs will be wired differently to the USA version + and - is swopped round, so if the pre is UK to USA power amplifier the phase is wrong. You can cure this by swopping the + to - and - to + in the interconnect at the power amplifier end. I can hear this if its wrong but not everyone can so it may not be an issue.

Current output is very good but is it good enough for Martin Logan's ummm I don't know as I have never tried this....sorry.

I think a VK60 or VK75 is the minimum you can try don't go for a VK55 as it did not have enough power to drive my Anthony Gallo ref 3a speakers.

I love the Bat amplifier but I would say you should try and get a listen in your own system before you buy.

Regards D S D L

lonergan2468
07-06-2009, 18:39
I use a musical fidelity A308 CR pre amp. I have been looking in the Affordable valve Company site as well. Their prices appear decent.

DSJR
07-06-2009, 18:43
UK has pin 2 as +ve with pin 3 -ve (pin 1 screen).

Looking at better known valve amps, hows about EAR 509's? I don't know the BAT ones at all, but what I love about the 509's is that they're almost bomb proof, the valves aren't expensive, yet the innards are made with decent components - polyprop caps etc as I remember. Wish I'd bought some anstead of something else...

lonergan2468
07-06-2009, 18:51
UK has pin 2 as +ve with pin 3 -ve (pin 1 screen).

Looking at better known valve amps, hows about EAR 509's? I don't know the BAT ones at all, but what I love about the 509's is that they're almost bomb proof, the valves aren't expensive, yet the innards are made with decent components - polyprop caps etc as I remember. Wish I'd bought some anstead of something else...

I will check out E Bay, thanks

Spectral Morn
07-06-2009, 18:53
I use a musical fidelity A308 CR pre amp. I have been looking in the Affordable valve Company site as well. Their prices appear decent.

Thats a single ended RCA output product....very good mind you but you will need RCA to XLR cables or a RCA to XLR adapter to hook it up to a Bat VK60. That combination in terms of sound would work/match quite well but I don't know how the VK60 will work with your Martin Logan's and a proper balanced pre is needed (preferably a Bat one) to get the most out of the VK60 amplifier IMHO.

Regards D S D L

lonergan2468
07-06-2009, 18:57
Im selling a Rotel RHB10 Michi power amp on e bay, I had a message from a person in Holland. Said he wants it and could he use it with a Rotel RSX 1057. When I checked up on that, turns out it is an AV amp. I wonder if he could by pass everything and use it as a pre amp. Looks like I might have some funds toward a valve amp then.

Spectral Morn
07-06-2009, 19:01
Im selling a Rotel RHB10 Michi power amp on e bay, I had a message from a person in Holland. Said he wants it and could he use it with a Rotel RSX 1057. When I checked up on that, turns out it is an AV amp. I wonder if he could by pass everything and use it as a pre amp. Looks like I might have some funds toward a valve amp then.

Yes he can use it with the left right front outputs from the Rotel RSX1057. He basically has a better two channel amplifier but the big weakness in AV amplifiers is the pre-amplifier stage not the amplification which is usually quite good in Rotel, Harmon Kardon, Denon and some Yamaha.

Regards D S D L

lonergan2468
07-06-2009, 19:48
Thanks, I have sent a message to him. I have also advertised my NAD C275BEE power amp.