Vinyl Grinder
05-03-2008, 17:16
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm

Give me strength.

Vinyl Grinder
05-03-2008, 17:39
Forgot to highlight this section within the link:

HOW ABOUT THOSE AUDIOPHILES?

Audiophiles are people more in love with equipment and algorithms than music. They prefer listening for artifacts over enjoying music. They, like most people, hear things based on what they expect to hear. Tell them something was data-reduced and it really will sound worse to them, even if you play them an uncompressed selection! Most people don't worry themselves sick about the oxygen content of their power cables or green magic marker on the edges of their CDs. Audiophiles oddly are deaf to the clicks, pops, scratches, horrendous inner groove distortion and speed and pitch changes caused by eccentric pressings of the vinyl records they still hoard.

An audiophile is not to be confused with a music lover. The semantic key is that they love audio, not necessarily music.

:mental:

Marco
05-03-2008, 18:07
I'm surprised that you had the patience to read through all that mince :lol:

There is some truth in the above excerpt, though!

Marco.

Vinyl Grinder
05-03-2008, 19:41
I'm surprised that you had the patience to read through all that mince :lol:

Marco.

This especially is i guess aimed at Mana fans ''hear things based on what they expect to hear''True no doubt...:lol:

Marco
05-03-2008, 19:51
LOL. And 'TOORIGHT IT'S SHITE' fans :ner:

:lol:

Marco.

Mike
05-03-2008, 19:51
Sorry.... Waaay beyond my attention span! http://kiw.imgag.com/imgag/product/thumbs/3125753a.gif

spendorman
08-03-2008, 18:37
I remember when I got my first cassette deck, made by Mitsubishi, in those early days there was no Dolby on cassette decks, not even on a Teac which a wealthy friend owned. My brother hated cassette and would not use one. Later I managed to get an add on Dolby unit and after calibrating it, recorded sound was not at all bad on the casette. I also had (and still do) an Akai 4000 DS real to reel machine.

I had the same recording on both reel and casette and had them running in sync. so I could switch between the two.

The cassette deck was in a cabinet and could not be seen, it was playing through the system and the reel to reel with its big spools and VU meters moving in time to the music was running and could be seen.

My brother came into the room and said "you cant get sound like that from a casette".

How wrong he was. We are easily fooled!

Forgot to highlight this section within the link:

HOW ABOUT THOSE AUDIOPHILES?

Audiophiles are people more in love with equipment and algorithms than music. They prefer listening for artifacts over enjoying music. They, like most people, hear things based on what they expect to hear. Tell them something was data-reduced and it really will sound worse to them, even if you play them an uncompressed selection! Most people don't worry themselves sick about the oxygen content of their power cables or green magic marker on the edges of their CDs. Audiophiles oddly are deaf to the clicks, pops, scratches, horrendous inner groove distortion and speed and pitch changes caused by eccentric pressings of the vinyl records they still hoard.

An audiophile is not to be confused with a music lover. The semantic key is that they love audio, not necessarily music.

:mental:

sastusbulbas
11-03-2008, 16:29
Not quite substantiated, many studios use various sollutions, "most" is not 99%. Outboard converters and external clocks are used in many of these studios, as are far more expensive ancillaries software and hardware than many "audiophools" use. Quite a difference between many studio set ups and a G4 or G5 plugged into a domestic DAC via tosserlink.

I like the honerable mention someone noted gets for saying compressed audio at 160kbs is perfectly adequate, and this well know persons actions of getting rid of 2000 cd's after compressing them to 160kbs substaniates that compressed digital audio is fine today for critical listening. Rubbish, in my own opinion.

Oh and it can sound better than CD because you can have it in an instant? Kenco anyone? 600 cd's compressed into 36gb of storage, and his comparisons and opinion should be taken serious because of his history, sorry but personal opinion based on what he hears and prefers I feel is not enough evidence in him being correct in his opinions. Even with basic ancillaries running from PC to Senheisser HD-25 I hear differences and prefer higher bit rates.

This quote warns us that the guy "MAY BE" a complete muppet, all this seems to state is his own opinion of what he thinks of "audiophiles". The "we audio engineers" is laughable, as many know thses guys can be as good or bad as any forum member when it comes to understanding others needs and not their own. The point made of 128bit rate is interesting as is the comment on better compression schemes and defects? (Do Audiophiles try and improve a CD with compression?), these points in my opinion makes his judgement questionable.

My own experience of "audiophiles" is of music lovers who want to extract more from thier music collections.

Most critical listeners from outside the recording industry don't realize that most audible artifacts are part of the recordings they buy, not the gear used to reproduce them. These folks, often called audiophiles, spend their lives trying to work around the nasty things we audio engineers do to the audio before it gets to you. Do your own tests if you prefer. Beware that many of the defects many people blame on data compression are in the CDs they bought in the first place. I listened for differences between the original CD and the iTunes rendition. Hearing no difference is perfection, and I got that at 128kbs variable bit rate. Better compression schemes can't get rid of defects already recorded into your CDs. For that you need something like a dBx 3BX I use when listening to over-the-counter recordings, but not for today's tests.

Another quote than warns of the stability of this person, and helps make us aware of his mental health is this attack on musical lovers who have better judgement than him.

As audiophile is nothing more than a label, and used here in the derogatory sense, it should not be confused with any statement of knowlege or fact, but merely an indication of his malcontent and personal belief of his own opinion as being correct. It could be seen as an indication of a troubled opinion of an area which has caused grief previous.

Steve (being grumpy and having a moan), who does not see himself as an "audiophile" but as someone who likes music and also likes audio equipment. And is completely aware not all audio equipment reproduces music in the same manner, And would rather have music on MP3 than not at all.

Rick O
23-03-2008, 20:25

Marco.
Unfortunately I'd have to agree.