PDA

View Full Version : Rel stentor iii or studio iii ???

ATC FAN
06-06-2009, 13:30
Hi - any one ever tried an REL Stentor III or Studio III - I am thinking of getting one and having read the reviews am convinced they might be a useful boost. I don't have time to test any at home from a shop (and few if any are prepared to do this now) so I am happy to take a punt if I can satisfy my self on the evidence. I could visit Cornflake but without the same room dynamics its so hard to tell - even if they have the same gear.

I auditioned my ATC's once years ago and bought a pair years later on the basis of that one audition and have been proved correct - so I kind of know what I like to hear and how to get what I am after. Nothing added nothing taken away. Any way with "domestics" to deal with at weekends finding the time is hard.:confused:

Oh and BTW if any one has any for sale I have recession beating "cash" waiting. My other thread notes I missed one on ebay the other day and have been kicking my self ever since :doh:

My system:

ATC SCM50 ASL's (piano black - spouse approved)
MANA acoustic STANDS
AVI LAB SERIES cd
AVI LAB SERIES PRE amp
MERIDIAN 263 DAC (ancient but effective):

All sitting on hand built 30mm slate "flexytable" (its very solid, it works and is spouse approved)

Missing Link cryo interconnects and Missing Link Binary Start Cryo digi cable
Missing Link mains

Marco
06-06-2009, 13:39
Hi ATC,

Before someone answers your question, as an aside, I see you use Mana stands. I'm about to advertise some Soundbases for sale (six in total), which would fit your ATCs - would you be interested? :)

Marco.

twelvebears
06-06-2009, 13:53
Hi ATC FAN (add your real name to your signature?).

Am also a fan of ATC myself. Though I don't own a pair now, I have very fond memories of a passive pair of SCM20s some years back that paired very well with a REL Storm at the time.

I have subsequently owned a Stentor II and it was a fantastic bit of kit.

I guess it comes down to two things, budget and volume.

Your active SCM50s are not exactly bass light, but they are very, very controlled, which can sometimes make them seem a bit 'dry' or over-damped compared to other speakers.

Either of the two REL models you mention will definitely add to the extension and weight of your system, and both are very easy to tune in, though it takes some effort, but it really depends how loud you play your system. If you listen at moderate volumes, then the Stentor should be more that sufficient, but if you tend to crank things up a bit, you may find it worth stretching to the Studio if your budget allows.

twelvebears
06-06-2009, 14:03
Another alternative you may want to consider as an alternative to a Studio or Stentor, is getting a pair of the slightly smaller REL designs.

Depending on the size and shape of your room, it's sometimes possible to get a pair of subs to couple with the room better than one large unit. Plus of course you get increased output and reduced distortion at higher levels.

ATC FAN
06-06-2009, 14:12
Hi ATC,

Before someone answers your question, as an aside, I see you use Mana stands. I'm about to advertise some Soundbases for sale (six in total), which would fit your ATCs - would you be interested? :)

Hmmm Never heard of these -what are they like what do they look like :scratch:- to be honest I would probably stick with the Mana which do the job

Marco
06-06-2009, 14:17
LOL!!

ATC (what's your proper first name, btw?),

Soundbases are made by MANA! :eyebrows:

They're 'levels'/bases which go underneath speaker stands or speakers to isolate them from the floor, and work rather well with ATCs. Not to worry :)

Marco.

ATC FAN
06-06-2009, 14:20
Another alternative you may want to consider as an alternative to a Studio or Stentor, is getting a pair of the slightly smaller REL designs.

Depending on the size and shape of your room, it's sometimes possible to get a pair of subs to couple with the room better than one large unit. Plus of course you get increased output and reduced distortion at higher levels.

Ah - slight problem am trying to keep the number of boxes to a minimum and we are already at the limit with the 50's (plus a a pair of AVI ADM 9'S in the Kitchen) - :eyebrows: my theory is that the REL Stadiu will sit un noticed in the corner behind the 50's as a handy coffee table magazine table - two small RELS are likely to envoke "whats that doing here and what does it do" remarks from the ":lol:Boss"

ATC FAN
06-06-2009, 14:25
LOL!!

ATC (what's your proper first name, btw?),

Soundbases are made by MANA! :eyebrows:

They're 'levels'/bases which go underneath speaker stands or speakers to isolate them from the floor, and work rather well with ATCs. Not to worry :)

Marco.

Hmmmmmmmmm you mean in addition to the Mana's ie under them:scratch: if they can be added then I may be interested

I thought Mana had gone out of bis =

Andy

Marco
06-06-2009, 14:40
Hi Andy,

Have a look at the sixth image down in my system pics thread:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1754

See those 'platforms' under my (old) speakers? Those are Soundbases, and they are extremely effective at isolating speakers from the effects of the room, allowing them to perform at their maximum capability.

The only reason I'm selling them is because I've now got massive old Tannoys, which they won't fit under.

Yes, Mana have gone out of business, hence why the genuine stuff is so rare! :)

PM me if you're interested.

Marco.

MartinT
06-06-2009, 21:32
Hi Andy

I used to run a Studio II with my previous speakers (JM Lab Mezzo Utopias, which had decent bass extension). I suspect your ATCs will also only need extension for the lowest octave. This is my mind sets the correct model as the Studio not the smaller RELs. The Studio is considerably larger than the others and this provides exactly what you need: ultra-deep clean bass to extend the octave 16-32Hz only. In this respect, the Studio is superb and worth stretching to.