PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a big AV sub with a 15" or 18" driver.

sastusbulbas
06-06-2009, 10:31
Hi all,

Sorry if this request is off topic or seems out of place but,

I would like to build a sub to work along side Cerwin Vega V-152 speakers in an AV surround set up, the CV's are 8ohm 103db sensitivity, they seem to roll off around 40hz-50hz, and have a power handling of 600w peak.

They are being run of an old Yamaha DSP A1 or AX1 (one or the other, and to be honest it's not really up to the job as it compresses at high volume), with a projector and Blue Ray in a rather large 80ft-60ft or so square workshop.

A couple of guys have brought round basic AV fare subs, which don't quite seem to gel or produce sufficient levels to contribute anything reasonable, so I think it's time to build something a bit bigger with more sensitivity.

I want it to be cost effective, and have building materials, such as 1" chipboard, 18mm mdf and 2"+2" batton. plus wadding and dampening materials, screws atc. A simple big box with right angles and non fancy cabinetry is what I ant to build. (I may have carboard tubes around 3 1/2" 4" in diameter for porting if required)

I guess I have around £200 - £300 for a cost effective sollution of driver amp and crossover inclusive, I can upgrade the electronics later (or get a basic second hand power).

I was thinking of building a passive box with an 18" unit (or 15" if it does the job), the JBL 4641 type box would be fine, but of course vented or ported depends on the driver, and I guess I would be better off with a big box than a horn, and a box would be easier to build and move around.

I guess the first issue is what driver? £100 - £200? Pro Audio or car audio? high sensitivity 8ohm, which goes low.

Then what recommended enclosure hight width depth port size etc?

A passive LF filter? with an adjustable pot maybe? with a cheap amp? Active EQ? (I want to run RCA from the AV amp to something)

A panel amp such as the BK stuff could be added later I guess, but they seem to offer little power in comparison to a cheap alesis or Behringer bridged.

Cheers all,

Steve:)