PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 122: 03.12.2013: Level 42 - World Machine (1985)

MartinT
03-12-2013, 13:52
This week's contribution is from Lawrence (Losenotaminute).

http://blogupnorth.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/world-machine.jpg

spotify:album:0WIixcEOzjULNoDRnErH42

This time I have gone for another 1980s album. I often spin this LP when I want to enjoy some bass.
My choice is 'World Machine' by Level (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_42) 42. World Machine is the sixth studio album by Level 42, released in 1985. It peaked at #3 on the UK album charts, and it stayed on the chart for 72 weeks.

Level 42 are a pop group but with a strong funk / soul influence. The lead singer, Mark King, is a virtuoso electric bass player. For my ears their albums are very well produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-zP66eSLto

I hope you enjoy this album.
Lawrence

Bazil
03-12-2013, 20:26
Well here is a turn up a band I used to slag off for being mind numbingly boring way back when, I only probably heard the radio stuff so here is their second chance :)

synsei
03-12-2013, 22:12
I haven't heard this album for such a long time and I'd forgotten just how good it is. It brought back some fun memories too :) 7/10

sparrow
03-12-2013, 23:21
I own it on vinyl. Never got around to playing the album so I'll give it a spin the next few days. I like Level 42 but enjoy their first 3 albums most.

Audio Al
04-12-2013, 05:12
Being a lad of the 80's I must say I like Level 42

However like most bands the earlier albums had meaning ,
this album unfortunately is not one of my preferred L42 albums ,
only a couple of tracks I really like :(

I voted 6 out of 10

MartinT
04-12-2013, 06:57
It's a funny one this, some great moments but some also where I cringe and think "1980s" and the crap music of the times. Still,
they were one of the more interesting groups to come from that period and elicit some good memories. Physical Presence and Leaving Me Now are memorable. 6/10

John
04-12-2013, 15:23
Generally I associate the 80s with some pretty bad music Level 42 were far to mainstream for me at the time. Sorry this brings back horrible synth pop for me I could only listen to a few numbers
I not vote as just not able to enjoy this

Bazil
05-12-2013, 11:34
Generally I associate the 80s with some pretty bad music Level 42 were far to mainstream for me at the time. Sorry this brings back horrible synth pop for me I could only listen to a few numbers
I not vote as just not able to enjoy this

C'mon John vote, I got a bollocking off Marco for saying that last year :D

Ditto, I hate this, don't like his singing or the "groovy" muzak, 0/10.

loo
05-12-2013, 11:44
Sorry my views on this echo John's never liked this at the time and now its like listening to an eighties nightmare
3/10 from me would be less but they can certainly play their instruments
Paul

kenworthy100
05-12-2013, 12:00
I have given this a 9/10, it brings back many happy memories from that era and was one of the first albums I bought on CD.

Barry
05-12-2013, 15:25
Musical 'pap' - fit only for elevators and when being "put on hold" (IMO).

2/10 from me -Sorry

losenotaminute
05-12-2013, 20:06
Musical 'pap' - fit only for elevators and when being "put on hold" (IMO).

2/10 from me -Sorry

Wow, I have to say I am shocked. As a trained musician and a music lover I can't understand this kind of comment. Have you actually listened to the album?

Lawrence

Barry
05-12-2013, 20:22
Wow, I have to say I am shocked. As a trained musician and a music lover I can't understand this kind of comment. Have you actually listened to the album?

Lawrence

Yes! And yes, they can play their instruments, it's what they do, or don't do with them that I was commenting on. It is only my opinion - if you like them, then that's fair enough.

losenotaminute
05-12-2013, 20:27
Yes! And yes, they can play their instruments, it's what they do, or don't do with them that I was commenting on. It is only my opinion - if you like them, then that's fair enough.

I can see that if you don't like it you would mark it down, but for a well produced album by very skilled musicians playing imaginitive tunes with good variety and lyrics, there is no way it deserves such a low score. To me it just seems that you haven't given it a chance. Again, just my opinion, trying to be honest. It does seem to be dividing opinion, which I guess means it must be good!

Lawrence

Bazil
08-12-2013, 19:04
Hi Lawrence I really don't like Level 42 from my memories of the 80's but I gave them another chance being a bit more mature and not disrespecting artists like we did when we were young. I played the whole album and gave it 0/10, don't take it personal I really dislike it, its not the first time I've voted zero btw.

Please nobody put up a Jamiroqua album :uhho:

Tim
08-12-2013, 20:26
Well I'll give it a go a bit later on, but I'm not a fan of 80's 'pop' . . . not much of a fan of any 'pop' for that matter :hmm:

synsei
08-12-2013, 21:33
80's music does seem to polarize opinion somewhat Lawrence and some just don't get it. For me the eighties scene was brilliant on the whole with acts such as Ultravox, Human League, Howard Jones and Nik Kershaw etc (as well as Level 42) vying for my attention. From a personal perspective the vast majority of pop from most eras turns me right off, for example I am not a huge fan of The Beatles and I detest everything that ever came out of The Music Factory (Stock, Aitkin & Waterman) with a vengeance :eyebrows: IMO the 80's were pops heyday ;)

losenotaminute
09-12-2013, 09:28
80's music does seem to polarize opinion somewhat Lawrence and some just don't don't get it. For me the eighties scene was brilliant on the whole with acts such as Ultravox, Human League, Howard Jones and Nik Kershaw etc (as well as Level 42) vying for my attention. From a personal perspective the vast majority of pop from most eras turns me right off, for example I am not a huge fan of The Beatles and I detest everything that ever came out of The Music Factory (Stock, Aitkin & Waterman) with a vengeance :eyebrows: IMO the 80's were pops heyday ;)

I quite agree. I like a lot of 80s music, and Level 42 are one of the quality bands that have endured, at least for me. I wasn't a big fan of Stock, Aitkin & Waterman either but I do appreciate the quality of some of their tunes - and Rick Astley has an incredible voice. In fact there is very little popular music that I would refuse to listen to, I must have very forgiving tastes.
The Beatles is an interesting one, it might be interesting to try a Beatles Album in Album Club and see what people think as I don't think there has been one suggested before - I'll check. Like you, I'm not a great fan of the Beatles, I have their 'no 1' cd but it very rarely gets played. I used to have some 45s but they were stolen unfortunately. I wouldn't score them less than 4 or 5 though, as I appreciate the skill and cratsmanship that went into producing the records and I can quite happily give them a spin. The only music I would score 0 would be Bono and some rap music that is deliberately offensive and fake (people pretending to be what they aren't).

Keepin it real

Lawrence

Tim
09-12-2013, 17:10
Well I tried, but sorry Lawrence I can't say I enjoyed this at all. I have an aversion for most 80's pop now, back in the day when I was night clubbing 2/3 days a week I dare say I would have enjoyed this but not anymore - I fact I think I actually bought this, but sold off my vinyl in the 90's so can't remember. Most of my musical horizons have expanded . . . except for what would be normally be described as MOR or 'popular music'.

I feel your pain though as I sometimes struggle to understand why some folk just don't get music that really connects with me - some of the comments about Emily Barker I found puzzling, but music is so deeply personal.

I'll have to go with Barry here and I'll give it 2/10, based purely on the bass playing on 'Something About You' which is mildly enjoyable as I like the odd bit of slap bass, but the rest is musical beige to my ears.

I think 80's pop is always going to be a hard sell on a music forum with such a broad member base as ours, but having said all that thanks for giving it a go fella, you have pleased some ;)

high.spirits
12-12-2013, 11:37
Not a great fan of 80s music. A couple of tracks were ok so 6/10.

slate
14-12-2013, 03:03
Got an 8 ... well it is the first CD that I ever bought; didn't even have a player at the time.
Granted the production is a bit smooth, but there are a couple of good tracks.

pjdowns
14-12-2013, 19:19
I love Level 42 of this era so an easy 10/10 from me… thanks for introducing me to this specific album though, it'll be on my new order list :)

Paul.

talisman2
16-12-2013, 09:27
i love all their albums , but if i had to pick one it would have to be 'Level 42' (i think it was their second) , anyway it's the one with the track 'Why are you leaving ? . listen and enjoy