PDA

View Full Version : Luxman PD131S

speakers-1989
05-06-2009, 14:42
I'm thinking about trying out a different turntable. I have come to this turtable as an interest, the Luxman PD131S.

Has anyone heard this turntable before? if so, what's it like? There is one on ebay with a Rega RB250, and it's in very nice condition.

I have put an offer down, and still waiting for the sellers response. If he doesn't accept my offer, I have other turntables in mind. What about the Fons QC30? Is this turntable any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200348899420&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%2520200348 899420%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D%2B2 00348899420%26_naf%3D1%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Cheers

Barry
05-06-2009, 15:28
It's a gorgeous looking turntable (in my humble opinion; in the same way that early B&O TTs are: simple, clean and elegant lines), and has the benefit of a bayonet mount for the pick up arm (though Linn fanatics might dissagree).

Apart from that, I can't really say how good it is; though from memory, I seem to remember the PL131 getting good reviews at the time. As to whether the £499 asked is reasonable or not, in view of the fact that it comes with the Rega arm and a new Ortofon MC25E cartridge, I would have thought that it is not a wildly overpriced package. Other members may disagree.

Given the choice between the Lux and the Fons, I know which one I would choose - the Lux, for its build quality and serviceability; Fons disappeared years ago and I doubt if they can be serviced any more.

Barry

Spectral Morn
05-06-2009, 15:56
Yes £499 is way to much half would be closer to the mark IMHO. I agree with Barry the Luxman is by far better than the Fons. But I would not buy the Luxman for what this vendor is asking. How do these guys get their idea of pricing :scratch:....ummmm...Roll the Bones ahhhhhhhh !!!! £499 :mental:

Regards D S D L

speakers-1989
05-06-2009, 16:26
I put an offer of 400 pounds this AM, and I'm still bloody waiting for the sellers response, weather to accept the offer or not. Infact been waiting all morning and afternoon.

You never know, I might like the Fons? Can they take Rega or other tonearms? And I'm sure the fons should be better over my Thorens?

I know a ebayer that has a Fons that is in pristine condition. I'm going to ask him for photos. He also has a Ariston RD80 and Oracle Delphi. Can't really afford the OD though.

hifi_dave
05-06-2009, 16:36
The Luxman is a beautiful and beautifully finished turntable but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it looks I'm afraid. At half the asking price it might be considered but IMO a Rega P3-24 will leave it for dead.

Similarly with the Fons. A P3-24 will trounce it. Not everything that bounces is worthy and a simple, plain Rega will be a better bet.

Obviously, this is IMO having used both turntables back in the day when we had both on demonstration for comparison with the Rega, LP12 etc etc.

speakers-1989
05-06-2009, 16:40
Thanks for your opinion, but's it's not going to putt me off from trying the Fons. LOL!

Barry
05-06-2009, 16:57
I put an offer of 400 pounds this AM, and I'm still bloody waiting for the sellers response, weather to accept the offer or not. Infact been waiting all morning and afternoon.

You never know, I might like the Fons? Can they take Rega or other tonearms? And I'm sure the fons should be better over my Thorens?

I know a ebayer that has a Fons that is in pristine condition. I'm going to ask him for photos. He also has a Ariston RD80 and Oracle Delphi. Can't really afford the OD though.

Which Thorens model do you have? I can't necessarily say that the Fons will be better or worse than your Thorens, nor do I want to put you off considering the chance of obtaining a reasonably priced Fons. It's just that from memory the Fons was not particularly well made, didn't receive enthusiastic reviews (although this was at the time when the hi fi press were unbelievably influenced by the Linn-Naim hegemony) and went out of business many years ago.

In buying any used piece of gear, you do have to consider the, hopefully unlikely, possibility that it may need servicing; spares for the Fons are unlikely to be readily obtainable. Same thoughts apply to the Ariston RD80.

Regards
Barry

Spectral Morn
05-06-2009, 17:07

Pity you can't stretch to the Oracle....stunning sound if its a mk 3 onwards and it can still be upgraded to a mk5 later; in installments or all at once. IMHO one of the most beautiful looking TT's ever. I do have a bias having a mk4 Deplhi :kiss:

Regards D S D L

hifi_dave
05-06-2009, 18:13
Which Thorens model do you have? I can't necessarily say that the Fons will be better or worse than your Thorens, nor do I want to put you off considering the chance of obtaining a reasonably priced Fons. It's just that from memory the Fons was not particularly well made, didn't receive enthusiastic reviews (although this was at the time when the hi fi press were unbelievably influenced by the Linn-Naim hegemony) and went out of business many years ago.

In buying any used piece of gear, you do have to consider the, hopefully unlikely, possibility that it may need servicing; spares for the Fons are unlikely to be readily obtainable. Same thoughts apply to the Ariston RD80.

Regards
Barry

That about sume it up. The Fons was poorly made, badly finished, not vey reliable and easily trounced by the Planar-2. Of course there are no longer any spares available.

speakers-1989
05-06-2009, 19:16
Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I think I'll put the Fons to the back of my mind, leave it anyway.

I'm either just going to save up for a Rega deck, something like a P3 or a P7. Platter looks nice on the P7.

Or maybe I might go back to a Michell, Michell decks sounds very nice. I was brought up listening to Michell decks. I might go for the Michell Reference Electronic Turntable, nice deck it is.

And another deck we have been looking at is the Technics SL-110, Is this deck any good people?

shane
05-06-2009, 20:27
The Fons CQ30 sub-chassis was made from a strip of steel channel bolted to a cross-piece of ally channel (see pic here http://i43.tinypic.com/2q0j890.jpg). The main bearing was much smaller and less well made than the Linn's but the platter was a single piece casting, since there was no need to access the belt for speed changing. This was because, uniquely at the time, it had a DC motor so speed changing was electronic. Bizarrely, the motor was mounted on the sub-chassis. The DC motor also enabled it to offer 78, as well as the normal 33 and 45.

It was usually partnered with an SME 3009, but the arm board was very small so a Rega arm may possibly be awkward to fit.

It wasn't a patch on the Linn for quality, and had a distinctly home-made feel to it. 35 years on I can't remember what it sounded like, but I only ever managed to sell one, and that was at a cut price to a mate. He hasn't spokento me for years...

MartinT
05-06-2009, 20:57
If you're interested, I have a Strathclyde STD-305M turntable with Michell TecnoArm (superior variant of the Rega arm) that I will be putting on eBay. Would love to find it a nice home, it works perfectly and sounds not half bad.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/std.shtml

speakers-1989
05-06-2009, 21:23
If you're interested, I have a Strathclyde STD-305M turntable with Michell TecnoArm (superior variant of the Rega arm) that I will be putting on eBay. Would love to find it a nice home, it works perfectly and sounds not half bad.

Thanks for your offer, but i'll give it a miss. Good luck selling it.

I'm really better of getting a Michell Electronic Ref or a Rega P7.

Cheers

MartinT
05-06-2009, 21:49
No problem, just thought I'd offer it first. On it goes to eBay.

REM
05-06-2009, 21:52
Are you buying with your eyes or your ears? It's entirely up to you of course but sound wise the Technics SL110/SME 3009 that's on ebay for BIN £400 makes a lot more sense IMO. A decent cartridge (approx £100) and you would have a front end that in to-days terms you would need to spend a LOT of money to better.

Regards

speakers-1989
05-06-2009, 21:56
Are you buying with your eyes or your ears? It's entirely up to you of course but sound wise the Technics SL110/SME 3009 that's on ebay for BIN £400 makes a lot more sense IMO. A decent cartridge (approx £100) and you would have a front end that in to-days terms you would need to spend a LOT of money to better.

Regards

Hi Michael stipe, joking;)

Have you heard a SL-110? If so what's it like?

aquapiranha
05-06-2009, 22:07

Martin, I am not convinced you know where that link is pointing...?

:confused:

Spectral Morn
05-06-2009, 22:17
Hi Guys

Steve is right http://www.vinylengine.com/library/std.shtml this link will not work if linked from AOS....sorry but vinylengine will redirect your Link request to a useless page.

Do the link from your search engine page. Sorry for the hassle.

Regards D S D L

MartinT
06-06-2009, 00:02
Sorry about that, I didn't know there was a spat going on with Vinyl Engine. If you copy/paste the link into your browser address bar it works properly.

Marco
06-06-2009, 00:27
It is (very) old hat, Martin, so far from "going on"; and a misunderstanding that was blown out of proportion by a spiteful and vindictive moderator... All consigned to history now, though - at least as far as I'm concerned :)

Speakers (what's your proper first name?), if you want to know about the best Technics T/Ts, AOS is full of relevant information. I doubt there's a more extensive resource of accurate data about the SL-1200/1210 and SP10, compiled though practical experience and not hearsay by knowledgeable enthusiasts, anywhere else on the Internet :smoking:

Marco.

speakers-1989
06-06-2009, 14:55
I just bought a Roksan Xerxes turntable with a Rega RB200 tonarm and A&R cartridge.

Ebay gave me discount vouchers, so I ended up paying £558 for the Roksan. For that money I think i've done well. The deck is in very good condition, a little crack on the lid but thats not a problem.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120426492046&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F12042649204 6%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp2773.m38.l1313%26_nkw %3D120426492046%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_naf%3D1%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Marco
06-06-2009, 14:58
Did you miss this?

Speakers (what's your proper first name?)

;)

Ahem!

Marco.

speakers-1989
06-06-2009, 15:00
Why do you want to know my name:lol:

Marco
06-06-2009, 15:17
Erm, because it's part of what we expect from our members. Have a look around and you'll see that most people sign their posts with their real name :)

It just makes for a friendlier atmosphere. Referring to you as "Speakers 1989" is just a little unnatural.

Unless you're a secret agent, or have something to hide, revealing your first name should present no problems ;)

So what is it? :cool:

Marco.

speakers-1989
06-06-2009, 15:20
Oh go on then, it's Shane.

Marco
06-06-2009, 15:23
Pleased to meet you, Shane! :)

Could you do me a favour and add "Shane" to your signature so that it appears under all your posts?

Cheers!

Marco.

lonergan2468
06-06-2009, 16:30
I just bought a Roksan Xerxes turntable with a Rega RB200 tonarm and A&R cartridge.

Ebay gave me discount vouchers, so I ended up paying £558 for the Roksan. For that money I think i've done well. The deck is in very good condition, a little crack on the lid but thats not a problem.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120426492046&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F12042649204 6%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp2773.m38.l1313%26_nkw %3D120426492046%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_naf%3D1%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Hey Shane, you did ok. £645 buy it now, accepted offer of £600, then you got a coupen 10% off that 600. Keep your Rega RB250 just in case.
;)

Marco
06-06-2009, 16:37
Hi Tim,

Welcome to AOS. You post on pfm, don't you? I'm glad to see that you've observed our 'rules' (name and location on posts) ;)

When you get a minute I'd be obliged if you'd pop into the Welcome room and say 'hello'.

What's your system and what music are you into - got any pics of your system? :cool:

Marco.

lonergan2468
06-06-2009, 17:50
Hi Tim,

Welcome to AOS. You post on pfm, don't you? I'm glad to see that you've observed our 'rules' (name and location on posts) ;)

When you get a minute I'd be obliged if you'd pop into the Welcome room and say 'hello'.

What's your system and what music are you into - got any pics of your system? :cool:

Marco.

Hello, yes i have done that now, and also posted a pic of the system. When u click on it it will enlarge in Photobucket.

lonergan2468
06-06-2009, 17:53
Shane we can try out your Xerxes on my system as well.

Marco
06-06-2009, 17:56
Nice one, Tim - cheers! :)

Marco.

MartinT
06-06-2009, 21:18

Hi Shane

I used to have a Xerxes with SME IV. The biggest problem with them is that the long meandering cut in the wooden top plate causes the wood to sag after a number of years. It makes adjustment of the plate while keeping the arm level in all planes quite difficult. I was disappointed to discover that Roksan no longer keep parts for it so a replacement top plate is no longer available. Secondly, there is a motor adjustment screw that you need to trim occasionally to keep the belt running properly in the middle of the pulley. Rubbing wax polish into the belt is a tip that the dealer gave me and helps with start-up time.

I finally offloaded the deck in some disgust because of Roksan's abandonment of the Xerxes. At least Linn will service a Sondek of any age.

speakers-1989
06-06-2009, 21:43
Hi Shane

I used to have a Xerxes with SME IV. The biggest problem with them is that the long meandering cut in the wooden top plate causes the wood to sag after a number of years. It makes adjustment of the plate while keeping the arm level in all planes quite difficult. I was disappointed to discover that Roksan no longer keep parts for it so a replacement top plate is no longer available. Secondly, there is a motor adjustment screw that you need to trim occasionally to keep the belt running properly in the middle of the pulley. Rubbing wax polish into the belt is a tip that the dealer gave me and helps with start-up time.

I finally offloaded the deck in some disgust because of Roksan's abandonment of the Xerxes. At least Linn will service a Sondek of any age.

Yes, I am aware of the ''sag'' bit.

Thanks

REM
07-06-2009, 08:26
Hi Shaun

A gold plated RB200 no less. Never seen one like that before, any idea who modded it, J7 (AudioOrigarmi) maybe? It does look nice and with any luck it might have been re-wired as well. Good luck with the deck, hope you get lots of enjoyment from it.

Regards

hifi_dave
07-06-2009, 09:12
Hi Shane

People can criticise Linn all they like (I'm not a dealer anymore) but you can serivce/repair the very first LP12 and bring it right up to date if you fancy. Same story with Rega but there are many well known turntables which are no longer supported with spares or repairs and are fit only for landfill when they go wrong. :steam:

Marco
07-06-2009, 09:41
Same story with Rega but there are many well known turntables which are no longer supported with spares or repairs and are fit only for landfill when they go wrong.

Hi Dave,

Such as? :)

If you're referring to SP10s - Dave Cawley (Sound Hi-fi) and Vantage Audio are on hand to assist with full service and repair.

If it's Garrards or Lencos you're referring to, you have Loricraft for the former and/or relatively easy maintenance yourself if you are D.I.Y inclined, as the designs are fairly straightforward and simple - ditto for Lencos.

Even the currently popular Pioneer PL-71 can be fixed if necessary due to some being purchased on Ebay by aficionados purely as donors for spare parts. Some other 'classic' T/Ts are as you describe, but few people use them.

So I'm not really sure where you're coming from, matey.

Marco.

DSJR
07-06-2009, 10:31
I know what Dave is referring to and until he receives a certain vintage DD "looker" for his collection I doubt that far eastern turntables went across his radar........ ;)

I'm still waiting for a service manual download on my SL150 as I could do with a new base for it (assuming spares are available for them...), but some spares are available for Dual' still as so many were sold and certain bits were shared across the ranges (12** series certainly) and a good few tatty ones are being broken up.

speakers-1989
07-06-2009, 11:15
Hi Shaun

A gold plated RB200 no less. Never seen one like that before, any idea who modded it, J7 (AudioOrigarmi) maybe? It does look nice and with any luck it might have been re-wired as well. Good luck with the deck, hope you get lots of enjoyment from it.

Regards

It is strange, I've never seen a gold plated R200 before. They are noramlly in silver colour.

Marco
07-06-2009, 11:22
I know what Dave is referring to and until he receives a certain vintage DD "looker" for his collection I doubt that far eastern turntables went across his radar........

Sorry, Dave, I haven't got a scooby-doo what you're on about. I prefer plain speaking, not talking in riddles, so until Dave or you spit it out I'll be none the wiser! :)

Marco.

Barry
07-06-2009, 13:53
Hi Dave,

If you're referring to SP10s - Dave Cawley (Sound Hi-fi) and Vantage Audio are on hand to assist with full service and repair.

If it's Garrards or Lencos you're referring to, you have Loricraft for the former and/or relatively easy maintenance yourself if you are D.I.Y inclined, as the designs are fairly straightforward and simple - ditto for Lencos.

Marco.

The same goes for Thorens decks, especially the TD124. Technical & General in Marlow can supply many spare parts and there are plenty available on eBay, though for some items, such as the idler wheel, bidding can be a fraught experience. Finally there is Schopper in Switzerland who can supply just about everything (at a price!).

Oh, and Shane (Speakers-1989) - congratulations, looks like a very nice combination. Happy listening!

Barry

speakers-1989
07-06-2009, 17:27
The same goes for Thorens decks, especially the TD124. Technical & General in Marlow can supply many spare parts and there are plenty available on eBay, though for some items, such as the idler, wheel bidding can be a fraught experience. Finally there is Schopper in Switzerland who can supply just about everything (at a price!).

Oh, and Shane (Speakers-1989) - congratulations, looks like a very nice combination. Happy listening!

Barry

Cheers Barry, I hope i'll like the Roksan.

hifi_dave
07-06-2009, 17:49
Hi Dave,

Even the currently popular Pioneer PL-71 can be fixed if necessary due to some being purchased on Ebay by aficionados purely as donors for spare parts. Some other 'classic' T/Ts are as you describe, but few people use them.

So I'm not really sure where you're coming from, matey.

Marco.

Hi Marco,
No I'm not talking about SP10's, there are few of those out there and they're well loved. I'm well versed on the 301, 401, TD124 front as I was re-furbing and selling them 30 years ago when others were putting them in skips. No, I am talking about Roksan's, Linn Axis, Linn Basik, PT's, Fons, Systemdek, Source and others too numerous to mention.

Whar DSJR is referring to is that I have just purchased from E-Bay a Technics SL110 c/w SME 3009. I have no idea why I did other than I love the looks but I will probably never ever use it.

By the way, the 110 needs a strobe bulb. Are there any spares out there ?

David

speakers-1989
07-06-2009, 22:17
My Roksan turntable should be with me on Tuesday. I'll let you all know how I get on, and my father is also going to give it a try on his system. Have a feeling he might like the Roksan better than the Pro-Ject RPM 10 (Naaaaa I don't think so) The RPM 10 is a beast.

I also bought a Roksan Digital Stylus Force. Does anyone here use one of these

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
08-06-2009, 07:12
My Roksan turntable should be with me on Tuesday. I'll let you all know how I get on, and my father is also going to give it a try on his system. Have a feeling he might like the Roksan better than the Pro-Ject RPM 10 (Naaaaa I don't think so) The RPM 10 is a beast.

It's a few years ago now, but a guy I knew quite well had a Xerxes with The Mechanic tonearm not sure of the cartridge now. But whenever I heard it I always anjoyed the time.

Hope you have fun with yours, didn't know Roksan made a digital Gauge you will have to drop a photo of it when it all arrives.

Andy - SDDW

Marco
08-06-2009, 08:46
Hi Dave,

No, I am talking about Roksan's, Linn Axis, Linn Basik, PT's, Fons, Systemdek, Source and others too numerous to mention.

Jeez, most of them are shit, so they weren't even on my radar (so to speak)! The only one I would entertain there is the Roksan.

Whar DSJR is referring to is that I have just purchased from E-Bay a Technics SL110 c/w SME 3009. I have no idea why I did other than I love the looks but I will probably never ever use it.

Is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270400531858

By the way, the 110 needs a strobe bulb. Are there any spares out there ?

Dunno, matey. Maybe Vantage audio would have some? :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
08-06-2009, 09:18

Yes its very good and accurate, much better than the Shure unit I have been using for years....however the joke about this unit, is that it is made in China and lots of audio companies offer it with their logo on it :lol::lol:. Loads of adds promoting have come out over the last year and its almost a case of who next ? is going to offer it as *their*exclusive Digital Stylus product. There are some slight variations in retail cost too.....:lol::lol::lol:

Regards D S D L

hifi_dave
08-06-2009, 09:40
Hi Dave,

Jeez, most of them are shit, so they weren't even on my radar (so to speak)! The only one I would entertain there is the Roksan.

Is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270400531858

Dunno, matey. Maybe Vantage audio would have some? :)

Marco.

Marco,
Might not have been interesting to you but they were popular in their day. When I shut my shop in 2005, we had a pile of broken TT's and other geart that just couldn't be repaired because of a lack of spares. Some of it could be made to work by someone with skill and patience but not economical. So we gave it all away.

The link to E-Bay didn't work but it was the SL110/SME at £400 buy now. I'm pleased with this but only as a 'trophy' in my Museum of vintage Hi-Fi.:smoking:

Marco
08-06-2009, 09:49
Don't know why the link's not working now, but it was the SL-110 Chris was discussing on this thread (post #12):

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2926&page=2

In fact, clicking on the link there works!

I'm pleased with this but only as a 'trophy' in my Museum of vintage Hi-Fi.

Presuming that the SL-110 is in tip-top working order, you might not say that if you fitted a decent arm and cartridge to it, and conducted some meaningful comparisons with your current 'de facto' T/T of choice, whatever that may be ;)

Marco.

speakers-1989
08-06-2009, 09:55
It's a few years ago now, but a guy I knew quite well had a Xerxes with The Mechanic tonearm not sure of the cartridge now. But whenever I heard it I always anjoyed the time.

Hope you have fun with yours, didn't know Roksan made a digital Gauge you will have to drop a photo of it when it all arrives.

Andy - SDDW

This is the Roksan Roksan Digital Stylus Force Tracking Gauge. We also have one of those Shure stylus weighing things too. Sometimes it's a pain:steam:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Roksan-Digital-Stylus-Force-Tracking-Gauge_W0QQitemZ220428217184QQcmdZViewItem

speakers-1989
08-06-2009, 12:53
I forgot to ask, the Rega R200 has an A&R cartridge mounted on the headshell. The colour of the cartridge is Red, does anyone know what particular A&R cart this is? And the good thing is the stylus is new.

Here is the ebay link again.

speakers-1989
09-06-2009, 18:17
The Roksan sounds very beautiful, and the Rega R200 arm makes a very nice combo too. This deck sounds completely different over the Thorens TD160B MK2, or in other words a million miles better. The Thorens was lacking insight and midrange, and it just sounded bloated. I think this Rega R200 sounds much nicer than my Rega RB250 (some of you may disagree with me).

soon I'm planning on putting a Denon cartridge on the Rega R200, as it will be much better over the A&R etc etc

I'll post some pics soon.

speakers-1989
09-06-2009, 19:04
Here are the pics. I don't know the exact age of the deck, but it looks good for it's age.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/TDL-STUDIO/000_0281.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/TDL-STUDIO/000_0282.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/TDL-STUDIO/000_0285.jpg

DSJR
09-06-2009, 20:34
This is my poor old R200 plus a headshell that may be good (in addition to the new Rega one I found in a drawer.. Can't wait to get it up and running...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/DSCF0439.jpg

REM
10-06-2009, 09:50
Here are the pics. I don't know the exact age of the deck, but it looks good for it's age.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/TDL-STUDIO/000_0281.jpg

Shane....Peters & Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lolsign::lolsign:

speakers-1989
10-06-2009, 11:15

What??

Marco
10-06-2009, 12:06
Your link didn't work, mate - therefore it was 'invisible'! :eyebrows:

It works now, though...

Marco.

REM
10-06-2009, 16:38
What??

Shane...the first link, top left hand corner...sorry m8, couldn't resist:ner:

Cheers

lonergan2468
12-06-2009, 09:21

Jesus!! Peters and Lee. I have not heard them since I was a ttenager. I remeber they had a hit with 'Welcome home' he was blind and she always led him on stage etc. Mind you, they were quite good, catchy tunes.