PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs Reunited

The Grand Wazoo
04-06-2009, 22:05
I just wondered what good or bad reflections you may have on various bands you've heard or seen that have either risen phoenix-like from the ashes or should have remained where they were (burnt out has-beens?)

I've been to see a few over the last few years - The best of which were (in order of magnificense):

Arthur Lee/Love
The Stooges
The Who
New York Dolls
The Doors
MC5

symon
04-06-2009, 22:40
I saw Pentangle last year - they were magnificent.

The Grand Wazoo
04-06-2009, 22:57
I'd have liked to have seen them, but it wasn't to be, unfortunately.
Caught them on Jools Holland's show........

lovejoy
29-06-2009, 14:30
I saw Pentangle last year - they were magnificent.

I really wish I'd seen them when they played as the original lineup. I was at Green Man Festival where they played and had enough of living like a drowned rat for the weekend (famous last words when I said that 2008 couldn't have been any wetter than 2007's festival), so went home before they headlined on the Sunday night.

To my joy, a month or 2 later they were advertised as playing at Swindon Arts Centre. Snapped up some tickets and everything was fine until arriving at the venue on the night only to find 'Pentangle' was now 'Jacqui McShee's Pentangle', hence minus the important members of the band. WORST GIG EVER! I left half way though, appalled.

Beechwoods
30-06-2009, 08:37
:lol: sounds like Michael Clarke's 'Byrds'. He was only the drummer for a year or two in the early years for flips sake! the rest of the members looked like a pub band and they insisted on playing half their own 'new numbers' which all sounded crap!

The Grand Wazoo
02-07-2009, 22:59
:lol: sounds like Michael Clarke's 'Byrds'. He was only the drummer for a year or two in the early years for flips sake! the rest of the members looked like a pub band and they insisted on playing half their own 'new numbers' which all sounded crap!

And that sounds to me like the 1980 Deep Purple that Rod Evans (the original singer) toured with, performing to repeatedly riotous crowds, apparently. The rest of the band were session musicians & the 'real' Deep Purple sued, winning bags of cash & preventing Evans from receiving any more royalties from the albums he made with them.

DanJennings
21-07-2009, 14:17
I've seen a few of these, and by the sounds of things, been very lucky....
Fairly recently I went to see 10cc, who I found out only contained Graham Gouldman, but since the rest of his band were excellent musicians, many of whom had played with them since the early days of the band, it was still an excellent performance. 'Old Wild Men' was especially good, and unexpected. I would still have loved to see them in around 1973, but there you go.
I saw Roxy Music when they reunited about 8 years ago, sans Eno, and have to say it was one of the most amazing concerts I have ever seen, they basically played the first 3 albums in their entirety, plus a selection of their 80s singles.
I've seen 3 Black Sabbath reunion tours, all of which claimed to be their last, all excellent, all original members entact.

Ah but I've just remembered Blondie, they were a bit rubbish in 1999.