PDA

View Full Version : Possible switch of solid state to valve - advice and views appreciated.

twelvebears
04-06-2009, 09:38
Dear All.

This thought has crossed my mind before, but my impending move to a new home which is a) likely to be a very long term prospect and b) is not likely to allow for high listening levels (it's a Victorian semi), has got me thinking about whether I should consider trading some of the grunt of my MF M3 for something a little something smaller, prettier and possibly more musical?

Much like symon, I have no first hand experience of valve kit, but many of you seem to be fans and they do look wonderful.

I guess my question is this; without necessarily having to resort to eBray, is there anywhere I could possibly trade-in my M3 against something which glows, IF I should find something which fits the bill?

S.

hifi_dave
04-06-2009, 10:18
IMO, you will get more for your old kit on E-Bay than in a p/x. A dealer has to make a profit, not only to make a living but to cover expenses, c/card fees and also to cover the VAT.

Best bet is to sell the MF and then visit your dealer with cash in pocket.

DSJR
04-06-2009, 18:53
Used gear is almost worthless to a dealer in dire straits, so Dave's suggestion of selling privately is probably best.

As to valve vs solid state, valves are a personal and emotional-attachment issue for most owners today. because of the difficulties of using the SUT's with the Croft valve pre, I put the SS AVI preamp back. This latter may well have the edge, but the Croft gets me "involved" with it (both are musically involving, but there's this tactile pleasure with the valve pre).

Good luck. try to find a like-minded dealer-soul. They do exist (HiFi dave is one and I think Dave Cawley is another)..

Spectral Morn
04-06-2009, 19:15
Dear All.

This thought has crossed my mind before, but my impending move to a new home which is a) likely to be a very long term prospect and b) is not likely to allow for high listening levels (it's a Victorian semi), has got me thinking about whether I should consider trading some of the grunt of my MF M3 for something a little something smaller, prettier and possibly more musical?

Much like symon, I have no first hand experience of valve kit, but many of you seem to be fans and they do look wonderful.

I guess my question is this; without necessarily having to resort to eBray, is there anywhere I could possibly trade-in my M3 against something which glows, IF I should find something which fits the bill?

S.

Not before you have heard your new cabinet speakers...think about it then.

Regards D S D L

John
04-06-2009, 19:52
It be good to hear a few valve based systems I notice you live in Hamel there are a few dealers not to far that can help also let me know if you want to hear my system as I am only about 30 miles away

DSJR
04-06-2009, 22:02
Hemel eh? I only just noticed. I grew up just ten miles up the old A41 from you (Tringsville ;)) and began my career in what used to be KJ Watford (now closed as Acoustic Arts now trades from home)

twelvebears
06-06-2009, 13:28
Thanks guys.

John, I may like to take you up on that offer, especially as you live close. Being a hi-fi geek can be a bit of a lonely pastime when it's not shared by your friends (I had two, but one bailed out when the kids arrived, another went the AV route), and the opportunity to listen to another system in a home environment would be great.

Don't worry Neil, will be getting things singing with the new speakers (as the crossovers, internal wiring and damping materials have also changed), and in the new house (we move in end July) before I go changing anything else.

Very excited that the house, and more specifically where the stereo will be located (yes, I was thinking about that more that anything else during the viewing), means that I will be able to get my Techie onto a wall shelf at last.

twelvebears
06-06-2009, 15:25
Oh dear.

Have just clapped eyes on the Vincent SA-T1/ SP-T100 pre-amp/monobloc combo.

I think I may be in love..... :-)

Giant Haystacks
11-06-2009, 10:35
hi i had a volt scanspeak kit and it had a 8 inch bass mid with a shiney clear coating on driver this speaker really needed a little power if yours is similar maybe try some of the hybrids like unison research unico or i think croft done a hybrid ,i noticed reciently proac speakers have started using volt drivers,