PDA

View Full Version : DIY meet 13th june

SPS
22-05-2009, 11:55
We be having a get together on sat 13 june at Eggborough power station social club, it just off the m62 junction 34 west yorks

It is diy based, and is mostly valve amps and hi eff speakers, most of us have been through the hi fi shop route.. to end up with a better sound for the £ with a little diy

where else can you hear so much diy kit ?

our first meet at eggbrough was featured in hi fi world around 5 years ago.

we are limited with numbers.. but we can mange quite a few between the 2 rooms.

if you want to come please post your name and if your bringing kit or not

the costs are shared on the day, no profit is made, it's around the £10 mark inc lunch

I need definate numbers a week beforehand to ensure the lunch is for the right numbers,

there is plenty of room to bring your own kit, and we try to ensure everthing is heard..

there are 2 rooms, one massive the other is smaller,

thanks

steve

Mike
22-05-2009, 12:37
Hi Steve,

I should be there (mentioned it over on WD) as long as I don't get called out too much the night before, I'm on-call on the Friday but I'll try and get a swap sorted out just in case.

I could bring my WD phono clone and DP-3000 if anyone's interested?

Cheers...

SPS
22-05-2009, 13:50
thats fine mike, be nice to see you again

I'm away this week end so will not be answering questions but there lots who can will be looking in

cheers steve

Will
24-05-2009, 22:59
bump

Marco
24-05-2009, 23:28
Hi Will,

Would you like me to make this thread into a sticky? :)

Marco.

Will
24-05-2009, 23:39
Yes Marco thanks.
Will

Marco
24-05-2009, 23:40
Done! :)

Marco.

SPS
04-06-2009, 16:10
not long now to our next meet..

there seems lots of new kit to hear so i guess it will be a good day again

names so far...

tony moore
dave tb
steve cresswell
scott ( possibly)
will
ed
andrew I
andrew
gerry
ali
little eddy,
max n
al newall
ian sr
phil
simon c
me
nick
dave +2
anthony c
chopsaw
mike H
dave(and sue)
dl2
Mo

I Hope i've not missed any one.. if i have please post

Anyone who is to attend/ or is on the list and not attending please post by sunday pm
i need numbers for monday morning for the buffet please but i'm away this week end so will catch up sunday evening

the names are from a spread of forums

thanks for your support.. and see you all next week

we will have a bring and buy table (as usual)... so bring lots of money/ kit to make it interesting...
i may have to bring a box of valves..

steve

DaveK
08-06-2009, 21:16
Evenin' All, (as Jack Warner used to say - anyone under 60 please ignore :))
Can I ask if anyone will be attending the DIY Meet on 13th June and will be travelling up from the East Sussex area - an extreme long shot I realise, but there may be someone. If so, I would be happy to make a contribution to their petrol costs if they could do me a (BIG) favour:
I have recently bought a SL1200 turntable from a guy in Peacehaven who insists on collection. As I live in Sheffield this is presenting me with a problem. If there is anyone coming to the DIY Meet who would be willing, for a suitable contribution, to collect the TT on my behalf and meet me at the DIY Meet for the handover I would be very grateful, and might even be persuaded to stretch to a pint or several :cool: , in addition to fuel costs, if such will be available at the venue.
I look forward to any response or alternative polite suggestions.:)
Cheers,

alb
09-06-2009, 06:53
Dave, i can't think of anyone who is coming from that part of the country.
I know most of the usual suspects, and that would be a long way to travel for a one day event.

DaveK
09-06-2009, 08:09
Thanks alb - as I said, I realise that it was an extreme longshot. I have also posted a similar plea on Audio-Talk forum, with 1 (very un-helpful) response - strange what some people regard as funny :) .

Marco
09-06-2009, 08:13
Indeed, some of the 'old guard' there have a funny way of, erm, 'interacting' with newcomers to the forum, but they're friendly enough when you meet them in person. I've read the remark in question and it was rather insensitive, but I'm sure there was no malice intended.

Anyway, there are some real gems of people who couldn't be nicer, friendlier, and whom you can genuinely learn something from. You'll definitely enjoy yourself at 'Eggy' :)

Marco.

DaveK
09-06-2009, 09:14
Thanks to all responders, but the problem is now solved - relative has friends in Brighton and visits Bradford regularly.
:cool:

SPS
09-06-2009, 11:36
Indeed, some of the 'old guard' there have a funny way of, erm, 'interacting' with newcomers to the forum, but they're friendly enough when you meet them in person. I've read the remark in question and it was rather insensitive, but I'm sure there was no malice intended.

Anyway, there are some real gems of people who couldn't be nicer, friendlier, and whom you can genuinely learn something from. You'll definitely enjoy yourself at 'Eggy' :)

Marco.

thats nice of you to say marco...

I know there was no malice indended in andrews comment..

It was my suggestion that Dave posted on the thread, i thought down south was all close together.... well wrong again, but he's sorted now

a back ground to us...
As a group we have known each other for quite a few years really, we all started out on the old wad (now wd) forum, and have long since been through the hi fi shop upgrade-itus stage, then kits or known designs.. now we just make most of it from scratch..
this will be about our 10th meet over that last 5 years,
we are very much still learning, and thats what's good about these meets
every time the sounds seem to get better, and its shared..

every meet we have a percentage of new faces, and many of them go off to build a valve amp or hi eff speakers of some type (not Marco though?.. yet). for me.. thats nice to see

We enjoy the hobby of making hi fi systems, so we are out on a limb really.. We know that, but we would not want to be anywhere else

be aware..there will be lots of banter on saturday, and a good day had..

cheers steve

DaveK
09-06-2009, 11:54
Hi Guys, (Steve & Marco),
No offence taken - I just thought that it was a thoughtless response to a stranger asking for help :(. As Marco will confirm (I would hope), my sense of humour is intact and functioning well and I can give and take banter with the best of 'em, so I look forward to that atmosphere. :)
Anyway, let's close the loop on this and, if possible, remove any postings relating to my appeal (also on Audio-Talk ?) as the problem no longer exists.
Thanks each for your inputs.:)
Cheers :cool:

Mike
12-06-2009, 10:53
Hmmm... I'd better find out where this place is, and how to get there!

Sure I've seen the info around somewhere... :scratch:

SPS
12-06-2009, 12:02
Hmmm... I'd better find out where this place is, and how to get there!

Sure I've seen the info around somewhere... :scratch:

easy, A1/m62 junction, follow m62 east, junction 34 follow selby a19 north,
power station on your right after about a mile, turn into the main entrance, turn left before the manned gate house, you drive in front of the cooling towers , turn left agian and the club house is in front of you...

see you soon...

Mike
12-06-2009, 12:21
Thanks Steve, I was going to check it out when I got home but you've saved me the bother. Except it might be easier for me to come down the A19 as I'm further north, then again maybe not.

Either way, I'll be able to find it now. :)

Cheers....

DaveK
12-06-2009, 13:21
easy, A1/m62 junction, follow m62 east, junction 34 follow selby a19 north,
power station on your right after about a mile, turn into the main entrance, turn left before the manned gate house, you drive in front of the cooling towers , turn left agian and the club house is in front of you...

see you soon...

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting this again - saves me digging out your original directions :)
A futher thought has just occurred to me -- forgive me if it already planned but I am great at suggesting the obvious ;) : -
will everyone be wearing badges/sticky labels so that everyone will know who they are talking to? - all you long standing members can probably vaguely remember what you each look like but us newbies will be unknown and unknowing.

alb
12-06-2009, 13:33
will everyone be wearing badges/sticky labels so that everyone will know who they are talking to?

I'll be wearing a slinky bottle green evening dress with matching shoes.

Or perhaps, just jeans and a T-shirt.

Don't panic, we're pretty good at introducing ourselves.:)

Marco
12-06-2009, 15:00
I'll be wearing a slinky bottle green evening dress with matching shoes.

You bitch - you've copied me!! Where did you get that outfit from??? :steam:

I'll have to slum it now in my see-thru taffeta sequined blouse, waterproof-lined leather hot pants, and high-heeled fuchsia-coloured 'f*ck-me' boots!

I'm not telling you what I'll be wearing underneath, dahling - all will be revealed at the 'special party' afterwards ;)

Marco.

Mike
12-06-2009, 16:54
I'm not going anymore.... :uhho:

Marco
12-06-2009, 17:47
Does that mean that you won't be bringing me that polka-dot panty girdle to try? :(

Marco.

DaveK
12-06-2009, 20:18
After the above exchange I'm not sure I'm going anymore either !!! :)

Marco
12-06-2009, 20:24
I'm sure we could find something for you to shlip into, Dave!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... :lol:

Marco.

Mike
13-06-2009, 00:38
Smashin'... just got in from work and look at the bloody time! :steam:

I think I might be turning up a bit later than planned! :(

DaveK
13-06-2009, 07:57
Hi Marco,

"I'm sure we could find something for you to shlip into, Dave!"

The above quote has reconfirmed my belief that you guys on this forum are amongst the most generous guys around !!! :lolsign:There appears to be no (dress) lengths to which you guys will not go to make a newbie feel welcome! :) Thanks, I'm definitely going to turn up now - how could I refuse ??

Marco
13-06-2009, 08:50
LOL!

More seriously, I've got stuff to do at home, so unfortunately I won't be able to make it today.

You'll enjoy it though so have fun! :)

Marco.

Mike
13-06-2009, 10:33
And I've just got out of bed and need to be home by 5pm...

I don't think there's any point in me going now. :(

DaveK
14-06-2009, 09:11
Hi,
Don't know whether this is the correct place to do it but just wanted to express my thanks to Steve for organising it and going out of his way to explain what was happening, alb (and his soldering iron) for his running repair on my phono leads and Ali and Dave (from Kent) for their interesting discussions. I thoroughly enjoyed the meet, heard some very 'interesting' speakers and music - some of both being more 'interesting' than others ;) - I was particularly fascinated by Kentish Dave's speakers and those of Steve (the organiser), but fitting either in my lounge/listening room might pose a small problem.
Thanks again,

alb
14-06-2009, 10:30
Twas nice to meet you Dave.
I'm glad you were able to find something of interest there.
It's always good to see and hear what others are doing, and how they do it.
Might not always be any ground breaking experiences, but usually something to think about.:)

Ali Tait
14-06-2009, 12:35
Good to meet you too Dave.Glad you had a good day.It's always good to see new faces at these get togethers.There was a lot of very interesting and extemely good sounding kit this time around,and of course it's always good to meet up with the usual suspects again.Hope you can make the next one in September.

Mike
14-06-2009, 13:23
Hope you can make the next one in September.

I hope I can too, will that be at Owston?

Missing these things is starting to become a habit... :doh:

Ali Tait
14-06-2009, 19:29
Yep,in September Mike.Sorry you couldn't make it.Book some time off for Owston!

Will
14-06-2009, 23:25
Great day had by all.
Simons Pics..http://www.atrj13.dsl.pipex.com/na-meet-EggyJune09.htm

The Grand Wazoo
14-06-2009, 23:32
Great pictures, Will.
Some interesting stuff.
.......is that a pair of Bent Audio step-up transformers I see nestling behind Andrew's pre-amp?

Will
15-06-2009, 00:00
Yep and a LCR phono amp, there were 2 LCR amps.

Marco
15-06-2009, 08:35
Great pictures, Will. Thanks for sharing! :)

It looks like some of the guys have come quite a long way with their projects since Owston. There's a very diverse range of kit there.

Unfortunately, circumstances meant that I couldn't make it this time, but I'll be at Owston :cool:

Note to Steve (sps): how do you get your M3D to align correctly with it positioned so far forward in the LH-18 headshell? :scratch:

Mine is positioned right at the back of my FR S/5. I guess that the geometry of your TD124/FR combo is very different from that of my SL-1210/Jelco...

Hope you had a good time, though, mate. It looks like it!

Marco.

SPS
15-06-2009, 10:47
Note to Steve (sps): how do you get your M3D to align correctly with it positioned so far forward in the LH-18 headshell? :scratch:

Mine is positioned right at the back of my FR S/5. I guess that the geometry of your TD124/FR combo is very different from that of my SL-1210/Jelco...

Marco.

when i installed the arm i allowed for the overhang, the m3 is as far back as will go in that headshell..
luckily the dynavector i've been using has adjustable overhang, so its not a problem to swap over..
cheers steve

Marco
15-06-2009, 11:28
Hi Steve,

If you allowed for the overhang when fitting the arm then I can see how it would work :)

I know all about limited space in headshells with the M3D because it's such a bloody big bugger!

My FR S/5 is not exactly small as headshells go, but in order to accommodate the M3D so that it was correctly aligned, I had to create more space by cutting the (chunky) cartridge wires I use to half of their original length, solder the ends directly onto the headshell pins, and SQUEEZE the cartridge towards the back of the headshell, near enough as far as it would go, to obtain correct alignment.

It's one of the reasons why when recommending the M3D to people I always state that a much bigger than average headshell is needed to accommodate it, and then only if it's of the right mass.

Out of interest, how would you compare the sound of the M3D to this vintage Dynavector of which you speak? Which model is it? If it's good, I may have to add one to my collection! :eyebrows:

Marco.

SPS
15-06-2009, 12:57
Hi Steve,

If you allowed for the overhang when fitting the arm then I can see how it would work :)

I know all about limited space in headshells with the M3D because it's such a bloody big bugger!

My FR S/5 is not exactly small as headshells go, but in order to accommodate the M3D so that it was correctly aligned, I had to create more space by cutting the (chunky) cartridge wires I use to half of their original length, solder the ends directly to the headshell pins, and SQUEEZE the cartridge towards the back of the headshell, near enough as far as it would go, to obtain correct alignment.

It's one of the reasons why when recommending the M3D to people I always state that a much bigger than average headshell is needed to accommodate it, and then only if it's of the right mass.

Out of interest, how would you compare the sound of the M3D to this vintage Dynavector of which you speak? Which model is it? If it's good, I may have to add one to my collection! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Hi Marco, its not as full bodied as the m3d.. i prefer the m3d,
but it tracks very well and is not far at all of the mark..
it does fine detail slightly better than the shure
its a high output ultimo 30a, its been stored in its box in a loft for nearly 27 years... it was in perfect condition
i could not find much about them on the net...

i think it was relatively expensive in its day.. but no nothing else about it..
any one else know any info..?