PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Stand Ballast - Advice Please.

DaveK
20-05-2009, 19:48
Hi All,
As regular readers may already be aware, I was once an avid SCUBA diver. Remaining from this period I have umpteen kilos of lead shot (used to make sure that I sank when jumping in !!;)). It occurred to me that it might be an ideal ballast filler for hollow speaker stands - any advice/thoughts/comments? If it gives you any ideas, I have not patented the system so feel free to copy ;) - if it has already been discounted, sorry for troubling you :(
:cool:

hifi_dave
20-05-2009, 19:54
Lead shot is good, as is DRY Silver sand and Cat Litter. Combinations of the three are even better but never overfill the stand. Try a bit at a time.

The Grand Wazoo
20-05-2009, 20:10
I've been waiting years for someone to tell me that No. 7 shot sounds better than BB, & that Remington shot is better that Eley Cartridge Company for micro-dynamics.

hifi_dave
20-05-2009, 20:22
If I told you that, would you be happy ???

DaveK
20-05-2009, 20:26
Hi hifi Dave,
Thanks for your input. Being of an engineering background (:lol:) I always need to know "Why".
I think that I can ascribe some logic to the mixture of lead shot and dry silver sand (void filling by different sized particles ?), but where the hell does Cat Litter fit in ???
What sort of Cat Litter, there must be hundreds of different sorts based on paper, wood, Fullers Earth and various crystals. Also what are the best ratios of each in the mix and does it matter if the Cat Litter has been used ? :lolsign:.
I ask the last question as we have 3 house cats and I could probably supply forum members with as much (used) as they might need in exchange for all the advice they offer me. :lol::lol::lol:

Chris,
As a special favour to you, if anyone gives me a definitive answer to your question I will share the information with you. :lolsign:

The Grand Wazoo
20-05-2009, 21:11
If I told you that, would you be happy ???

Dave,

I promise you, that I'd prefer it if this was the last time it was ever mentioned.

I (professionally) knew a senior member of an ammunition manufacturing family - I'm sure he'd love to extend his vast wealth by tapping into the audio market................any takers for silver plated lead shot?

Barry
20-05-2009, 22:09
Hi hifi Dave,
Thanks for your input. Being of an engineering background (:lol:) I always need to know "Why".
I think that I can ascribe some logic to the mixture of lead shot and dry silver sand (void filling by different sized particles ?), but where the hell does Cat Litter fit in ???

I'll take a stab at a posssible explanation, filling a hollow stand does two things: (1) it changes the resonant frequency of the structure and (2) it reduces the 'Q' value at resonance.

This latter effect is brought about by the particulate filling moving over one another and thus absorbing sound energy by converting it into heat through friction. Large heavy particles (the lead shot) will be good at adding mass to the structure, changing its resonant frequency, the finer dry sand will be good at absorbtion. Eventually, with use, the lead shot will gradually work its way down to the bottom of the stand, whereas the fine sand will rise to the top. I'll posit the idea that the particles of cat litter, which are both large but light, help in preventing the slow separation of the lead shot and the sand.

In the light of my reply to your posting on insurance write-off categories (quod vide), I anticipate your reply! :eyebrows:

Regards
Barry

The Grand Wazoo
20-05-2009, 22:11
I ask the last question as we have 3 house cats and I could probably supply forum members with as much (used) as they might need in exchange for all the advice they offer me. :lol::lol::lol:

This would be a "Special High Intensity Treatment".........You could certainly sell that! - I'll help you out with the marketing if you like!!!!

Now, what would a good brand name for such a product be, I wonder?...........acronyms usually work pretty well.

No.................perhaps not!

DaveK
20-05-2009, 22:45
This would be a "Special High Intensity Treatment".........You could certainly sell that! - I'll help you out with the marketing if you like!!!!

Now, what would a good brand name for such a product be, I wonder?...........acronyms usually work pretty well.

No.................perhaps not!

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your suggested acronym but I don't like it - how about Concentrated Audiophile Tested Special High Intensity Treatment - much better !!! :lolsign:

The Grand Wazoo
20-05-2009, 22:47
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your suggested acronym but I don't like it - how about Concentrated Audiophile Tested Special High Intensity Treatment - much better !!! :lolsign:

A man of your calibre doesn't need my help at all Dave - can I buy some shares?

Barry
21-05-2009, 01:22
Hi Chris,

Why not get Linn to market it; they could call it KattKrapp.

Regards
Barry

The Grand Wazoo
21-05-2009, 01:27
.....or Skotshit

Barry
21-05-2009, 18:28
.....or Skotshit

I was thinking of 'Komplete Acoustic Tube Treatment Komprising Resonance Altering Plumbic Particulates'.

Alliteration, hype and technological inexactitude!

Regards
Barry

SteveW
22-05-2009, 09:19
In the immortal words of Mud...

The cat crept in, crapped, and crept out again.

Barry
22-05-2009, 12:48
I've been waiting years for someone to tell me that No. 7 shot sounds better than BB, & that Remington shot is better that Eley Cartridge Company for micro-dynamics.

I'm sure it all depends on the amount of antimony alloyed with the lead. I'm not sure about silver plated buck shot - it could make the top end too bright! :lol:

Regards
Barry

Mike Reed
29-05-2009, 16:10
- it could make the top end too bright! :lol:

Regards
Barry

But surely it goes in the bottom end!

Mike Reed
29-05-2009, 16:11
But surely it goes in the bottom end!

Which it came out of, of course!