PDA

View Full Version : FS/Free Broken English-Marianne Faithful vinyl

twotone
13-10-2013, 15:14
Hi guys, I bought this album from discogs last week but the record is wrecked with loads of scratches and what looks like beer stains and fag ash all over it.

The cover is just as bad with a large crease in one corner and one edge of the sleeve has come apart.

The album has clearly been someones fav album:D

The record was described as mint or mint minus and the sleeve VG- the seller must have been on drugs when he listed it but to be fair to him he's refunded my cash and told me to keep the record. He must also have been on drugs when he posted it and failed to notice how bad a state it's in:rolleyes:

Anyway it's a first press I think but I can't play it for fear of damaging my stylus so if anyone wants it just pay for postage and I'll stick it in the post, I can get it posted for £2.60 to a UK postcode I think.

Thanks

Tony

PS, I've order a sealed reissue copy from a very good seller on discogs who I've bought vinyls from before, she had a copy of this album too but it was a canadian pressing which is why I bought the wrecked one because it was the UK pressing.

The joys of buying Sh vinyl...

chelsea
13-10-2013, 16:11
If available could i take it please

Audioman
13-10-2013, 17:05
Contact the seller and complain. Threat of negative feedback may result in a refund. Discogs is now more risky than Ebay as the later has a disputes procedure which is heavily in favour of buyers. The best sounding reissue is the Audio Fidelity (US cover) though the recent Universal reissue likely from high res digital sounds good. In fact based on my own copy the original pressings are not that special.

twotone
13-10-2013, 17:25
If available could i take it please

No probs Stu, just pm with your address etc.

Tony

twotone
13-10-2013, 17:29
Contact the seller and complain. Threat of negative feedback may result in a refund. Discogs is now more risky than Ebay as the later has a disputes procedure which is heavily in favour of buyers. The best sounding reissue is the Audio Fidelity (US cover) though the recent Universal reissue likely from high res digital sounds good. In fact based on my own copy the original pressings are not that special.

Hi Paul, the seller did respond very quickly and did in fact issue a refund so I can't really complain too much except for the fact that I was pretty dissapointed as I was dying to listen to the record but now I'll have to wait until the new one appears.

The one I've bought is this one below.

Tony

Marianne Faithfull ‎– Broken English - Original Mix
Label:
Island Records ‎– 372 898-1, Universal UMC ‎– 372 898-1
Series:
Back To Black –
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Limited Edition, 180g, Blue

Audioman
13-10-2013, 21:45
Hi Paul, the seller did respond very quickly and did in fact issue a refund so I can't really complain too much except for the fact that I was pretty dissapointed as I was dying to listen to the record but now I'll have to wait until the new one appears.

The one I've bought is this one below.

Tony

Marianne Faithfull ‎– Broken English - Original Mix
Label:
Island Records ‎– 372 898-1, Universal UMC ‎– 372 898-1
Series:
Back To Black –
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Limited Edition, 180g, Blue

Tony.

I don't think you will be disappointed with this one though the Audio Fidelity is better at a cost.

twotone
13-10-2013, 23:23
Tony.

I don't think you will be disappointed with this one though the Audio Fidelity is better at a cost.

Thanks Paul.

daytona600
14-10-2013, 22:56
Tony the back-to-black version is very flat & lifeless
best version the kevin gray audio fidelity pressing - have some in stock

also a great version of strange weather from ORG 2x45rpm 180g

http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=23316753

twotone
15-10-2013, 07:18
Thanks Scott

Audioman
15-10-2013, 13:35
Just a reminder that the AF uses USA artwork rather than as shown on snvinyl . The B to B isn't bad and probably near as good as most mint 'original' copies. Of course the AF is quite a bit better though I don't see how they had access to the original UK master tape. Also look out for a used Grapevine/Island 150g from the 90's.

https://diversevinyl.com/images/stock/afzlp148.jpg

twotone
15-10-2013, 16:55
Just a reminder that the AF uses USA artwork rather than as shown on snvinyl . The B to B isn't bad and probably near as good as most mint 'original' copies. Of course the AF is quite a bit better though I don't see how they had access to the original UK master tape. Also look out for a used Grapevine/Island 150g from the 90's.

https://diversevinyl.com/images/stock/afzlp148.jpg

Thanks Paul, you can buy that version on ebay new for about £16 but I went for the B2B version because it is the original mix that supposedly went missing from Island after they remixed the original.

My copy turned up today and it's on blue vinyl which is a bit funny looking however the sound is fine for me although I wouldn't mind hearing the version above to compare.

What a fantastic album though, some of the songs are just brilliant especially the last one on side two 'why'd ya do it'

Tony

Audioman
15-10-2013, 17:43
Thanks Paul, you can buy that version on ebay new for about £16 but I went for the B2B version because it is the original mix that supposedly went missing from Island after they remixed the original.

My copy turned up today and it's on blue vinyl which is a bit funny looking however the sound is fine for me although I wouldn't mind hearing the version above to compare.

What a fantastic album though, some of the songs are just brilliant especially the last one on side two 'why'd ya do it'

Tony

I bought both Black to Black versions and there is more difference between 'original' and 'issued' than the difference in SQ with the 'audiophile' version. I wouldn't describe the B to B as dead sounding though they are clearly from hi-rez digital transfers cut at GZ. The AF is supposed to be the real all analogue deal (Kevin Grey) though I would guess from the US copy tape. Says 'Specially remastered for this LP' but from what source?

twotone
15-10-2013, 21:15
Tony the back-to-black version is very flat & lifeless
best version the kevin gray audio fidelity pressing - have some in stock

also a great version of strange weather from ORG 2x45rpm 180g

http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=23316753

Scott tried to send you a pm mate but your box is full:lol:

I've sent you an email BTW.

twotone
15-10-2013, 21:18
I bought both Black to Black versions and there is more difference between 'original' and 'issued' than the difference in SQ with the 'audiophile' version. I wouldn't describe the B to B as dead sounding though they are clearly from hi-rez digital transfers cut at GZ. The AF is supposed to be the real all analogue deal (Kevin Grey) though I would guess from the US copy tape. Says 'Specially remastered for this LP' but from what source?

I'm definitely going to try the Kevin Grey copy Paul, the blue version is fine but it does sound a bit 'muddy' to me, that might just be the sound of the album but I also bought Pulp Fiction and Suzzane Vega's Solitude Standing today too and those two records are much better sounding IMO.

Tony

Audioman
15-10-2013, 21:57
I'm definitely going to try the Kevin Grey copy Paul, the blue version is fine but it does sound a bit 'muddy' to me, that might just be the sound of the album but I also bought Pulp Fiction and Suzzane Vega's Solitude Standing today too and those two records are much better sounding IMO.

Tony

Tony.

I take it Solitude Standing is an original. It's very good sounding even though it's an 80's digital recording. Not aware of a reissue. I do think you will find the AF quite a bit better but the original mix does not provide a direct comparison as there are some quite large differences from the released mix. The AF is largely better because of the superior mastering chain at Cohearant though I am not now certain it's all analogue.

Paul.

twotone
15-10-2013, 22:35
Tony.

I take it Solitude Standing is an original. It's very good sounding even though it's an 80's digital recording. Not aware of a reissue. I do think you will find the AF quite a bit better but the original mix does not provide a direct comparison as there are some quite large differences from the released mix. The AF is largely better because of the superior mastering chain at Cohearant though I am not now certain it's all analogue.

Paul.

Thanks again Paul, yes Solitude Standing is an original pressing far as I know.

daytona600
16-10-2013, 10:08
Kevin Grays mastering system at Cohearant for vinyl is 100% all analogue & mostly tube based & cost no-object
have lots of his transfers vary from from superb to stunning
via labels like analogue productions , impex , audio fidelity & others

http://www.cohearent.com/

Kevin gray & steve hoffman also work via Acoustech Mastering on 100% analogue , valve mastering
via labels like music matters - blue note re-issues which are shockingly good

then both are pressed at excellent record plants QRP , RTI in the states or Pallas in germany ( i avoid anything from GZmedia myself )

http://www.recordtech.com/atmweb/