PDA

View Full Version : Linear PSU for Caiman - lots of talk

mkrzych
25-09-2013, 06:49
Hello,
I've seen awhile on the forum lots of chatting about the Linear PSU for Caiman, but summarizing nobody puts the complete project details on the forum - at least maybe I missed something. My question is how difficult is to built good linear PSU better than the Stan's switching one included with the 7520SEG? I know about the very expensive LPSU's from Mark Grant etc, where the cost is not relevant to the elements used in the project, but maybe someone can share with us the whole project to let's say finish enigmatic discussion about that kind of power supply ;-)

Best regards,
Krzysztof

mkrzych
26-09-2013, 05:59
Ok, so seems that lots of buzz, projects, sound improvements, but nobody want to share the complete working project on the group? :scratch:

mkrzych
17-10-2013, 10:12
Hello,
Maybe you can point me to the thread where Stan showed the comparison and results from the different PSU's related to maximum Peak-to-Peak ripple?

NRG
17-10-2013, 14:34
Post #9

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?26922-The-Bushmaster-strikes-back

MCRU
17-10-2013, 15:15
Hello,
I've seen awhile on the forum lots of chatting about the Linear PSU for Caiman, but summarizing nobody puts the complete project details on the forum - at least maybe I missed something. My question is how difficult is to built good linear PSU better than the Stan's switching one included with the 7520SEG? I know about the very expensive LPSU's from Mark Grant etc, where the cost is not relevant to the elements used in the project, but maybe someone can share with us the whole project to let's say finish enigmatic discussion about that kind of power supply ;-)

Best regards,
Krzysztof

have you heard one of the "very expensive" power supply's? for £195 I would suggest you take back that comment above until you hear the sonic improvements and engineering knowledge that goes into these items (well the one I sell and nick builds to his design anyway)

don't you think you should have to pay for an experts 1000's of hours design work and prototyping? maybe not! if you have the time to build your own that is good but I doubt it will sound as good as mark's or mine :)

synsei
17-10-2013, 15:40
have you heard one of the "very expensive" power supply's? for £195 I would suggest you take back that comment above until you hear the sonic improvements and engineering knowledge that goes into these items (well the one I sell and nick builds to his design anyway)

don't you think you should have to pay for an experts 1000's of hours design work and prototyping? maybe not! if you have the time to build your own that is good but I doubt it will sound as good as mark's or mine :)

And why not? Not that I'm dissing Mark or Nicks work by the way, they are exceptional at what they do, but I refuse to accept that someone equipped with the requisite knowledge and skills cannot assemble a PS that is as good, if not better, than those which are commercially available, and thus neatly sidestepping any development, design and marketing costs ;)

sq225917
17-10-2013, 17:40
No one has told you how to do it because this isn't a very DIY focussed forum, at least not with regards to electronics building. Those with the requisite knowledge either build things to sell, or inhabit other forums.

I don't know the dac you mention but one assumes it requires only a single voltage rail of less than 20v. So either build a regulator, based on a superreg (walt Jung) or a simple tracking pre-reg, add a small transformer, a coupe of diodes and 2-3 capacitors in the 35v/4000uf range and you will have all you need. But don't expect it will cost you les, by the time you buy, build and stick it all in a case you'll have little left from £200.

but imagine the satisfaction.

Here's regs to try.
Walt Jung based: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/241251-group-buy-ssr03-super-regulator-power-supply.html
Superteddyreg based: http://www.teddypardo.com/diy/superteddyreg.html
Belleson reg: http://www.belleson.com/order.php

Any of these can be used, just make sure you have enough voltage to drop out in the regulator and that you select one suitable for the max current draw of the dac (Belleson only, the others with both do a couple of amps as standard)

Just don't expect that any of these drop in modules will perform as well as the very best multi-stage regulators with additional CLCLC/CRCRC filtering and/or tracking pre-reg stages. That's what you would pay extra for. That said all of them are good designs and will give you 100db rejection across the audioband.

Gazjam
17-10-2013, 18:06
If your interested I have a Superteddy Reg I saved from a DIY job.
Sounds great, VERY good if your mains is particularly dirty, which mines was.

mkrzych
18-10-2013, 07:55
Hello,
Here we go, in fact very interesting information was posted in this thread, at least for me. I will look at these links and read about the "super"-called power regulators. In fact, some of you pointed about the engineering work and this is true - I am not gonna disagree about it and o course the part of the cost has to be that work. But, if you count the cost of the components itself those are rather cheap IMHO.

Thanks a lot for you all posting that information and links. Another option maybe to wait for the Stan's DC Linearizer ;-)

StanleyB
18-10-2013, 09:01
But, if you count the cost of the components itself those are rather cheap IMHO.
Stop looking at the cost of a component. Price is not one of the items listed in the datasheet of any component I know of.

MartinT
18-10-2013, 13:03
But don't expect it will cost you les, by the time you buy, build and stick it all in a case you'll have little left from £200.

but imagine the satisfaction.

Exactly that. I haven't save much, if any, money by building power supplies as projects. It is all about the satisfaction.

MartinT
18-10-2013, 13:04
If your interested I have a Superteddy Reg I saved from a DIY job.
Sounds great, VERY good if your mains is particularly dirty, which mines was.

I have a SuperTeddy module that I used for a while. Very good at low noise from crappy inputs, not so good at instant response to current demands. Makes a much better preamp than power amp PSU, for instance.

struth
01-11-2013, 00:47
are there linear psu's for the tc 7510??

brian2957
01-11-2013, 10:03
You could try one of these Grant : http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231
or contact Mark Grant to see if he can help : http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_77&zenid=ifgqkqsjvre5hnpdf46norf9p1
If you can I would thoroughly recommend powering it by battery . Check with Stan if this can be done with the 7510 .

DSJR
01-11-2013, 12:50
I use one of Stans Caiman smps supplies (eternal thanks Stan:)) with added ferrites and more recently, an SBooster filter from Mark Grant (again, thanks Mark for excellent ongoing service! :)). Both were fit-and-forget items, but I'm sure the SBooster just helped clean things up a bit more, especially with the very wideband MG HD1000 interconnect I use with my ancient ton-up twin supply QED Digit Opto with Positron and this supply. Clumsy it may be, but it's hidden away so not an issue for me.

sq225917
01-11-2013, 16:50
I have a SuperTeddy module that I used for a while. Very good at low noise from crappy inputs, not so good at instant response to current demands. Makes a much better preamp than power amp PSU, for instance.

That'll be because it's actually a filter rather than a regulator per-se.

struth
01-11-2013, 17:38
You could try one of these Grant : http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231
or contact Mark Grant to see if he can help : http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_77&zenid=ifgqkqsjvre5hnpdf46norf9p1
If you can I would thoroughly recommend powering it by battery . Check with Stan if this can be done with the 7510 .

thanks Brian.......I might have one.....soon...

Gazjam
01-11-2013, 18:31
That'll be because it's actually a filter rather than a regulator per-se.

Yeah, wondered about that comment from Martin...