PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 111: 17.09.2013: Jewel - Spirit (1998)

Album Club
17-09-2013, 17:45
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you MartinT and his album for the week:

Jewel - Spirit

Here's a singer who has never been far from my system in all the years since I bought her first album Pieces of You. This is her second album Spirit and I offer it as the absolute pinnacle of her career.

http://www.albumcovers.biz/cover/2012/jewel-spirit.jpg

Jewel Kilcher, to give her her full name, is an American singer-songwriter, guitarist and occasional actress from Alaska who possesses one of my five all-time top voices. She has, over the years, tried different styles of music - not all successful - and has recently moved to a more country style. I personally think that the ballady nature of these songs suits her voice and style best. With a fine line between melancholy and upbeat, there is a good mix here, all presented in a stunning recording with sympathetic band accompaniment as well as her own Taylor guitar.

Widely available on CD, the recording is excellent. The vinyl version, if you can find it, sounds very close indeed to the CD with perhaps just slightly more free soaring on her vocals.

So what is it about Spirit that keeps it in constant play on my system? That fabulous, breathy, powerful voice; the high production values, stonking bass, memorable songs. Use Barcelona as a system test - can it handle that extreme vocal upshift in the middle of the song cleanly, and does it keep the prodigiously deep and powerful bass in check?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spirit-Jewel/dp/B00000F1CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377067140&sr=8-1&keywords=jewel+spirit

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_(singer)

Spotify:

spotify:album:66oHhkpwRWqMU0xwwfEFXy

John
17-09-2013, 17:59
Not got this so will give this a good listen before voting. I quite like her as a actress. At the moment it is reminding me a bit of Tori Amos, perhaps not as quirky.

synsei
17-09-2013, 18:07
This album gets a regular airing at our place not only because I like it but also because it happens to be my beloveds favourite album. It was the man himself, MartinT, who first alerted me to the delights of this album a good few months ago. Although not every track tickles my fancy to the same extent. as a whole it is a satisfying listen... 7/10 from me :)

n.b. For some peculiar reason track two on Spotify is refusing to play this evening. No such problem with the rest of them, which is rather odd... :scratch:

MartinT
17-09-2013, 20:18
At the moment it is reminding me a bit of Tori Amos, perhaps not as quirky.

That's interesting, John. I have quite a few Tori Amos albums and haven't thought of them as linked; Tori seems to have her roots more with Kate Bush and general quirkiness, as you say.

John
17-09-2013, 20:35
Its the story telling that reminds me

Audioman
17-09-2013, 21:32
I dusted of my vinyl copy and played the entire album probably for the first time this millenium. Forgot how good this is. Jewel's first 3 albums were excellent before she tried to become a pop then country singer and this is the best of the bunch. Recording standards have gone down a lot for mainstream releases since this came out and also the quality of US pressed vinyl (QRP excepted). This gets 8/10 from me. BTW I see little common in style with Tori Amos here John and have all her albums. Also Tori Amos is probably more influenced by Led Zep than Kate Bush Martin. I am rather tired of hearing that misinformed comparison.

johnB
17-09-2013, 23:58
I've not heard Jewel previously (she's apparently sold over 25 million albums and her debut went 15x platinum in the US, so not sure how I've missed her?). Her voice is pleasant and beautiful in places, overall much to like and I'll listen to her other records. 8/10 for me.

If you like this check out Natalie Maines of The Dixie Chicks (solo and the group), the wonderful Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, and maybe The Secret Sisters...oh and Emmylou Harris :-)

Nice choice.

John

synsei
18-09-2013, 04:29
Also Tori Amos is probably more influenced by Led Zep than Kate Bush Martin. I am rather tired of hearing that misinformed comparison.

I'm happy to be 'misinformed' Paul as I too feel that Tori and Kate share very similar styles. I don't hear any Led Zep influences whatsoever, care to point them out to us 'uniformed' types? :scratch:

losenotaminute
18-09-2013, 09:01
Not for me I'm afraid. I find the voice quite annoying, she seems to be 'trying too hard' in the delivery. She could learn a lot from listening to some Carole King WRT delivering a pop song.

I give it 4/10, sorry!

Lawrence

Audioman
18-09-2013, 09:57
I'm happy to be 'misinformed' Paul as I too feel that Tori and Kate share very similar styles. I don't hear any Led Zep influences whatsoever, care to point them out to us 'uniformed' types? :scratch:

It's not the style but the influence. Tori has done a number of piano interpretations of LZ and other rock numbers. The similarity that you mention is quirky and piano after that Kate and Tori are quite different. What I am saying is similarities are superficial. Also note Tori is a constant live performer, Kate did one tour and a few guest appearances so one can say Kate stuff is very much studio rather than live band based. Also note earlier Tori songs are based on personal experiences (often unpleasant) while Kate material was more based in fantasy and literature. Tori is not a KB copier is my point as so many people on Hoffman forum appear convinced. I doubt she ever heard KB music much as her music is not well known in the US. Of course I can't see any similarity between KB/Tori and Jewel. Who gave this 0 ? Own up you philistine :)

John
18-09-2013, 10:12
I am giving it a 7

loo
18-09-2013, 11:20
Hi All, I have this on vinyl although its not seen daylight in a long time so it was quite easy to listen with fresh ears.
Not really my sort of thing , she has a very nice voice but just a little to indistinct for me. A very nice sounding album
but one for my missus and her friends, 5 from me .
Paul

MartinT
18-09-2013, 12:00
Who gave this 0 ? Own up you philistine :)

LOL - the least they could do is explain why!

Perhaps they saw 'Jewel' and read it as 'Britney'?

synsei
18-09-2013, 13:51
It's not the style but the influence. Tori has done a number of piano interpretations of LZ and other rock numbers. The similarity that you mention is quirky and piano after that Kate and Tori are quite different. What I am saying is similarities are superficial. Also note Tori is a constant live performer, Kate did one tour and a few guest appearances so one can say Kate stuff is very much studio rather than live band based. Also note earlier Tori songs are based on personal experiences (often unpleasant) while Kate material was more based in fantasy and literature. Tori is not a KB copier is my point as so many people on Hoffman forum appear convinced. I doubt she ever heard KB music much as her music is not well known in the US. Of course I can't see any similarity between KB/Tori and Jewel. Who gave this 0 ? Own up you philistine :)

If you like Tori's material Paul try listening to this album from Jo Hamilton:

spotify:album:6I9xjSCoqp1gTsvspciQIH

My favourite Tori album at the moment is this one:

spotify:album:6VVyHpknRsMb0tU6VmTL9S

The Grand Wazoo
18-09-2013, 21:53
I've never heard this or any of her work. I like it more than I imagined that I would. I hear some RLJones in her voice, especially in track no. 8 'Fat Boy'. I'm going to give it a few more spins before I give it a score - thanks for suggesting it Martin, it's been entertaining so far.

Audioman
18-09-2013, 21:58
If you like Tori's material Paul try listening to this album from Jo Hamilton:

spotify:album:6I9xjSCoqp1gTsvspciQIH

My favourite Tori album at the moment is this one:

spotify:album:6VVyHpknRsMb0tU6VmTL9S

I recently bought the Strange Little Girls CD after avoiding it for years. Certainly very underrated and excellent sound.
Will try Jo Hamilton -not a name I am familiar with.

Bazil
20-09-2013, 17:10
Who gave this 0 ? Own up you philistine :)

Well it wasn't me I gave it 1/10, that was because I thought the first track was ok the rest was tedious.
Sorry for being blunt just not my thing.
btw I notice there are a lot of 0/10 all of a sudden, maybe somebody is having a bit of fun.

MartinT
20-09-2013, 17:20
There's only one 0/10. By the way, I'm not offended and wish that more members would vote HOWEVER they feel. It defeats the object if you decide not to vote because you don't like it!

pjdowns
26-09-2013, 19:55
I have given this 6/10 Martin. I have the album, which I bought after having it recommended by a friend and have to say I'm un convinced. She has an OK voice but nothing I'd say was special personally.

P.

Canetoad
27-09-2013, 10:14
I never really liked her but I do like this album. I give it 9/10.

MikeMusic
21-05-2014, 17:47
Fantastically well made

Can't stand her voice or the music though

2/10

MartinT
21-05-2014, 18:15
LOL - not enough edges for you, Mike ;)