PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with speaker terminals

break-3
09-05-2009, 07:27
Has anyone come across speaker terminals where the 4mm banana-plug socket has been blocked with brass bungs? I've pried many a plastic bung out, but my ARC power amp has had these brass buggers pushed into them, so I can only use spades terminations. Trouble is, my Atlas Mavros is terminated with bananas all round, so I'm having to use a spade adaptor in between. Basically, I'm wondering how the hell I remove the bungs without damaging the terminals...
Or do I suck it up and re-terminate the Mavros with spades?

Ali Tait
09-05-2009, 08:34
If you're happy using hand tools,I'd carefully drill and tap each bung say 3mm,screw a bolt in and see if you can pull them out.Just make sure you centerpunch each bung in the center so you don't damage the socket.Failing that,perhaps superglue something to the bung to see if you can pull it.

break-3
09-05-2009, 16:43
Well, I successfully removed all the bungs except the last bloody one! That one decided to slip right down to the bottom of the hole, wedge itself and I had to try and drill it out. I can fit a short banana down it or just over half a normal one. :doh:
I was so pissed off that I got the soldering iron out and re-terminated the amp end of the Mavros with spades. Now it really sings. :)

The Grand Wazoo
09-05-2009, 20:00
Hi Simon,

I didn't realise that Acoustic Research made amps with exactly the same model numbers as Audio Research. You'd think someone would've spotted that before they went to market wouldn't you?

That could confuse people............

break-3
09-05-2009, 20:06
Ahem, must have had an off day when I added my signature. :doh:

aquapiranha
09-05-2009, 21:10
Have you tried an easy out? drill a hole in the plug and insert the correct size of easy out and it might work. they are supposed to be used on bolts whose heads have snapped off. Failing that, can you push the plug out from the other side?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Cobalt-Drill-and-Easy-Out-Set-462398.htm

The Grand Wazoo
09-05-2009, 21:53
Hehe,
Forgive me, I'm a sarcastic sod - can't help myself.

Spectral Morn
09-05-2009, 23:43
Nice cable Simon

I too use Marvos through out my main connections, speaker cable, pre to power interconnect and three sources Cd, Sacd, phono...all of these are xlr to xlr with one being rca to rca. I know that there may well be other cables out there that are better(even for less money)but in my system they were a massive jump on what I used to use before. They need a fair bit of running in thought at least 50 hours plus...but they don't sound to bad from new.

The thing I like and appreciate most about the Marvos cables is the coherence the same material being used makes to the sound. One make looms can work but only if the materials used is the same...sadly with many cable makes this is not so.

Enjoy.

Sorry to hear of your hassles with plugs in binding posts the EEC has a lot to answer for...

Did you try isolation under your amps...if so what ? and how much of an improvement did it bring ?

Regards D S D L