PDA

View Full Version : My Hodge-Podge System...

CharlesT
05-05-2009, 23:25
There's a lot of rearranging going on in this room right now that I'm trying to fit in between work, chores and other projects, so things are a bit of a mess right now. The way the system is set up currently is only temporary.

It's funny and ugly, but I am using two chairs stacked on each other as a temp audio rack with a couple of heavy cardboard boxes as the shelves. Speaking of cardboard... well, we'll get to that in a bit.

So, first I'll tell about the entire system, then post the pics at the bottom. Here's the equipment list...

1) KingRex Pre-Amp - 2 pairs of inputs/1 pair of outputs
2) Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J - 2ch SACD/CD Player
3) Yamaha Natural Sound TX-540 Tuner
4) Rane AC-22B 2way Active Crossover
5) Sonic Impact T-amp - original bone stock version
6) AudioSource AMP100
7) Fostex FE126E Drivers - fully modified Planet10-HiFi version
8) Vifa P21WO20 8" Drivers

This is going to sound crazy, but the Fostex drivers are actually mounted in aperiodic loaded cardboard boxes! These boxes were only meant to be used to break in the drivers and to get an idea of possible enclosure designs, but by the time I got done playing around with them and tweaking them, I realized that they sound good. In fact, they sound very, VERY good!

These little Fostex drivers have been totally modified by a gent in Canada by the name of Dave, which owns and operates Planet10-HiFi. He modifies the frame, the basket, the front half of the magnet facing the back of the cone, and the cone itself. The design you'll notice on the face of the cone is what's known as EnABLe. As a result, they sound darn amazing!

The EnABLed drivers are powered directly by the SI T-amp which is directly connected to the preamp via a Y-adapter. The signal going to the amp does NOT pass through the Rane crossover. The reason being that the stock T-amp starts rolling off its frequency response around 100Hz which works out perfectly for the little Fostex drivers so they cover the range of 100Hz - 21kHz. There are no passive components between the amp and drivers.

Now because of the cardboard boxes flexing a little, the aperiodic loading and roll-off of the amp, all of these combined makes the speakers roll off slowly around 300Hz in-room.

Under these I have a pair of 3way ported towers I built when I was 17! In these tower are the two Vifa 8" drivers that I'm using as stereo bass augmentation units to the Fostex drivers. They are tuned to 39Hz in 2.3cf enclosures. The Vifa's completely bypass the internal passive crossover networks and are wired directly to the binding posts on the rear of the enclosures. They are being powered by the AudioSource amp which in turn is being fed its signal via the Rane crossover, which i have set to 250Hz. With the time alignment and gains set just right, they blend perfectly with the Fostex drivers. With room gain, I'm getting an overall frequency response of 28Hz - 21kHz.

I have to say, I have owned, used and heard a lot of speaker systems in my day, everything from Maggies to electrostatics to horns to open baffles to you name it. This little setup ranks right up there with the best of them. I have a pair of AV123 X-Statik towers in my 7.1 system with the matching X-Voce, and they don't stand a chance to my little 2ch system. This little bedroom rig completely blows the big system out of the water. No question about it. I can't wait to finally be able to finish this project and actually build proper enclosures. When I do, I will get new Vifa drivers and have two per channel. :eyebrows:

Anyway, enough of the blabber. On with some pics!!!

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v8/p236404322-4.jpg

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p167760781-4.jpg

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p406842681-4.jpg

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p240877537-4.jpg

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p340633119-5.jpg

speakers-1989
05-05-2009, 23:42
I like your cardboard box speakers.

DSJR
06-05-2009, 13:42
if it means you listen to more music and not bother with the HiFi then go for it...

Spectral Morn
06-05-2009, 14:00
Thanks for the write up and photos...very interesting.

Regards D S D L

CharlesT
06-05-2009, 15:01
if it means you listen to more music and not bother with the HiFi then go for it...

Hmm... Not exactly sure what you mean by that. If you're meaning that I don't care that much about the quality of equipment and care more about the music, then I would have to say "no" to that.

Granted, this isn't the most expensive system out there, but I have done my research, very extensively so. Reviewers both pro and amateur have great things to say about most of the equipment I have. After much evaluation and reading, I have put together a very decent little system that will shock the heck out of people when they hear it.

If you have been into audio for a good amount of time, you should know by now about the rave reviews on the original Sonic Impact T-amp which I have. Very quiet, clean, detailed, smooth "valve" sound without the valves, and enough power to get the job done. Rated right up there with quality 2A3's, 45's, 300B's, etc, etc amps. I have compared it to said amps, both SE and PP, and I have to agree with the reviews.

The KingRex preamp is another one that follows in the footsteps of the SI T-amp. It uses quality components, OP-AMPS, volume pot, etc, etc and also provides that special "valve" sound. It also has more than enough output to drive just about any amp out there.

For the AudioSource amp, it's rated right up there with units from NAD, Rotel, Adcom, Parasound, etc, etc. Now this one doesn't necessarily have a "valve" sound to it, but it does have an overall clean and smooth sound to it with tight, punchy bass detail and a warm-ish midrange.

The CD player is another unit that's highly rated, mostly in your guys neck of the woods. There are a lot more reviews (all positive) in the European side of the world than in the US, but the few that are here are also very positive.

And the little Fostex drivers... If you are familiar with the sound and benefits of single driver setups with no passive components involved, then you should know how good these kind of drivers can sound when done properly. The Planet10 modified FE126eN units are no different. Well, actually, I take that back, they are better!

I guess what I'm getting at is don't judge a book by its cover. Yes, they are low cost components, but their sound quality isn't! They rank right up there with the best of them in a lot of ways. More ways than not.

Thanks for the write up and photos...very interesting.

Regards D S D L

You're welcome. I hope to see/hear more comments from others as well.

And just a side note, I do plan on upgrading the preamp and both amps at some point. The little preamp only has 2 inputs and I could easily use twice that. The amps are good, but I wouldn't mind getting into something a little better at some point though.

For possible preamps I have been seriously considering the Audio Research LS3 and SP-5. Also looking at the Meridian 562v2, Linn Wakonda, Quad 99, Conrad Johnson PF-1, Tandberg 3002A, just to name a few.

Spectral Morn
06-05-2009, 15:05
Can I suggest that at some point you look at getting yourself a dedicated audio table. I would avoid glass shelves. I am sure that you can improve the sound of your set up by a very big margin as well if you were to site them better.

Regards D S D L

CharlesT
06-05-2009, 15:22
Can I suggest that at some point you look at getting yourself a dedicated audio table. I would avoid glass shelves. I am sure that you can improve the sound of your set up by a very big margin as well if you were to site them better.

Regards D S D L

Definitely!

I already have the plans drawn up for building a nice and sturdy adjustable rack, it's just a matter of getting other projects taken care of first before I get back to the audio system. As I said before, this is only a temporary solution for the time being, just so I can use and enjoy the system.

aquapiranha
06-05-2009, 21:27
Charles, great system! I have currently a number of active x-overs on my watch list, including the Rane you have. I will be using my enabled 206's and 4 X alphas in an OB, mid / top driven by my decware Zen select and who knows what I will drive the bass with...

I can't believe you have come to almost the same decision on how to get the best out of music as I intend to go!

Welcome!! click on the link in my sig to see the 206's in their current home.

CharlesT
07-05-2009, 03:42
Charles, great system! I have currently a number of active x-overs on my watch list, including the Rane you have. I will be using my enabled 206's and 4 X alphas in an OB, mid / top driven by my decware Zen select and who knows what I will drive the bass with...

I can't believe you have come to almost the same decision on how to get the best out of music as I intend to go!

Welcome!! click on the link in my sig to see the 206's in their current home.

Thanks Steve!

Yeah, the title of this thread really is geared more towards the combination of speakers used to get a "fullrange" sound more than anything else in the system. The electronics are nothing out of the norm for the most part, but to use a cardboard box which provides excellent results and only the woofer in a 3way tower as the bass augmentation units, well, it is kind of a hodge-podge. LOL

I take it those are the Sachiko horns that you're using with the 206's? Before going with the FE126eN's, I had originally planned on going with the FE16x or FE20x drivers. In fact, I had already paid for more than half on a pair of FE206eN drivers. But after thinking about it and figuring out how much distance I would actually need in order for both mouths of the Sachiko horn to properly integrate at the listening position, I would have to be 10' beyond my back wall!

The Rane I have is quite flexible and extremely quiet. I think you would be very happy with it. When properly tweaked, you can get just about any driver to match up seamlessly with another. I used a dbx 223XL before as well as a Behringer UltraDrive Pro DCX2496, neither of which worked or sounded as good as the Rane. Just a thought.

aquapiranha
12-05-2009, 09:52
Hi charles. I forgot to ask, how did you connect to the balanced XLR's on the Rane? I have just recently missed out on a very nice BSS FDS 310, but may have a Rane AC22B like yours on the way. I have seen the converters available, but would have preferred to make the cables up. Many thanks, Steve

CharlesT
16-05-2009, 00:18
Hi charles. I forgot to ask, how did you connect to the balanced XLR's on the Rane? I have just recently missed out on a very nice BSS FDS 310, but may have a Rane AC22B like yours on the way. I have seen the converters available, but would have preferred to make the cables up. Many thanks, Steve

Hey Steve,

I'm using Hosa RCA to XLR cables, both male and female XLR ends for the I/O connections. That way, I'm not having to mess around with a bunch of noise inducing adapters and such. They're actually pretty decent quality as well.

As for the BSS FDS 310, I would still go with the Rane. It offers a much wider and usable (2way) crossover range from 70Hz to 3.6kHz whereas the BSS is only 180Hz to 2.0kHz not to mention the Rane's delay feature for the low pass section to time-align the drivers.

Oh, and you're welcome. ;)

aquapiranha
16-05-2009, 08:43
Hey Steve,

I'm using Hosa RCA to XLR cables, both male and female XLR ends for the I/O connections. That way, I'm not having to mess around with a bunch of noise inducing adapters and such. They're actually pretty decent quality as well.

As for the BSS FDS 310, I would still go with the Rane. It offers a much wider and usable (2way) crossover range from 70Hz to 3.6kHz whereas the BSS is only 180Hz to 2.0kHz not to mention the Rane's delay feature for the low pass section to time-align the drivers.

Oh, and you're welcome. ;)

Thanks for getting back to me on that Charles. I really do not have any control over which X-over I will be offered, so while I would prefer the Rane too, the BSS is still a very high quality unit that originally cost over £500 in the UK I would imagine the crossover point to be somewhere around the 250 Hz mark, though I will have to experiment with that! I will look into that Hosa gear too.

Thanks!

CharlesT
16-05-2009, 17:27
Thanks for getting back to me on that Charles. I really do not have any control over which X-over I will be offered, so while I would prefer the Rane too, the BSS is still a very high quality unit that originally cost over £500 in the UK I would imagine the crossover point to be somewhere around the 250 Hz mark, though I will have to experiment with that! I will look into that Hosa gear too.

Thanks!

No problem Steve.

Here's a link to Hosa's 2009 catalog... http://www.hosatech.com/pdf/Hosa_US_RetailCatalog_Feb09.pdf

On page 29, you'll find the "Pro Unbalanced Interconnect" cables starting with XRF and XRM. These are the exact ones I own. They're very well built and very flexible cables. If you can get them, you'll like them. ;)

aquapiranha
16-05-2009, 17:47
Charles that is great, many thanks for the information. Steve

:)

CharlesT
16-05-2009, 18:32
Charles that is great, many thanks for the information. Steve

:)

You're welcome. I'm just glad I can help out a little. :cool: