PDA

View Full Version : Forum Inaccessible - Possible DNS Issues?

Beechwoods
11-08-2013, 15:27
It seems some members are reporting being unable to access the forum, with a 'server not found' message. I have been able to replicate this when trying to access via Three Mobile. Connecting via my Virgin broadband home network is fine.

We have raised a ticket with our server host in case the issue is at their end. It looks DNS related to me given that not everyone is affected and it seems ISP related. Using Google DNS or Open DNS may help if you are having trouble - the issue should clear if it is DNS related but please let us know on this thread if you have been affected and on what ISPs / networks.

Please state which ISP you had problems with, and whether the issue is now resolved, or you posted your reply via some other system (your mobile phone for example).

Thanks

jollyfix
11-08-2013, 16:31
i have had a few 'probs' today and yesterday. The forum would not open, no server not found msg, just didn't open.
I use Talk,talk isp.

Beechwoods
11-08-2013, 16:35
Is the issue resolved for you now, or have you been able to post via a different ISP (your phone for example).

synsei
11-08-2013, 16:49
Please explain DNS, it sounds like it could be an insurance company... ;)

Beechwoods
11-08-2013, 16:54
:D

DNS means Domain Name Server, kind of the phonebook for the internet that translates web addresses into the IP address or server location. Every address on the internet is registered with a Domain Name Server provider. Each DNS provider shares their bit of the address book with a small number of distributors who then replicate that out to loads of ISPs and other organisations providing DNS lookups. So there's plenty of steps in the chain where the info can get garbled and you only know if you're using one of the garbled copies. Other ISPs may have DNS data that is fine, and their customers won't be affected.

walpurgis
11-08-2013, 16:58
It happened to me a couple of times yesterday, but not for long.

synsei
11-08-2013, 17:09
:D

DNS means Domain Name Server, kind of the phonebook for the internet that translates web addresses into the IP address or server location. Every address on the internet is registered with a Domain Name Server provider. Each DNS provider shares their bit of the address book with a small number of distributors who then replicate that out to loads of ISPs and other organisations providing DNS lookups. So there's plenty of steps in the chain where the info can get garbled and you only know if you're using one of the garbled copies. Other ISPs may have DNS data that is fine, and their customers won't be affected.

That's interesting Nick. One recurring issue I have is with Flikr, or more accurately with members who post pics from this site. For example, Marco posted a host of holiday pics last night and whilst some rendered okay others did not. Might this be connected to the DNS issue?

Ninanina
11-08-2013, 17:16
Yes I'm having trouble logging on using the home wifi. I'm with Sky, and I've not been able to logon since last night

The only way I can logon is using my iPhone and not using Sky but using O2's 3G signal

Hope that helps

Beechwoods
11-08-2013, 17:29
Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I have added Sky Broadband to the list of affected ISPs on our Support ticket.

It seems that some International ISPs are also affected, though some are also fine.

walpurgis
11-08-2013, 18:03
It just did it again at my end. Rebooted and no probs. Strange?

julesd68
11-08-2013, 18:03
hi Nick

I can't logon with Be broadband which is now owned by Sky I believe.

I can however use my phone on the Three network with Wi-Fi disabled.

lurcher
11-08-2013, 18:10
I wonder if its a unintended consequence of this:

http://torrentfreak.com/skys-court-ordered-piracy-filter-blocks-torrentfreak-130809/

pjdowns
11-08-2013, 18:34
All ok here.. From both Sky tinternet and Vodafone 3G

Beechwoods
11-08-2013, 18:40
This is very weird. I can't imagine how the To**ent Fre*k issue could be related to our problem though. It got blocked because E*TV had them on a list of associated sites for some reason. There's no way E*TV would have good old AOS on a list like that.

But weird because different users of Sky are both able and unable to access the site. And I can't access via Three but Jules68 can :scratch:

lurcher
11-08-2013, 20:33
It was blocked because they added the ip to their reverse list, not saying it is connected, but just a heads up that it was going on. I can see AOS just fine via BT, but the Sky line in the house doesn't get to you.

Via Sky, www.theartofsound.net resolves to 91.215.181.231, and doesnt ping

From BT: 91.215.181.231

So its not DNS, from BT, I can ping.

jollyfix
11-08-2013, 20:39
All fine here now Nick.

Ninanina
11-08-2013, 22:55
No I still can't logon via Sky

I can only logon by using O2 on phone

Just thought I'd keep you informed

Audioman
11-08-2013, 23:21
Please explain DNS, it sounds like it could be an insurance company... ;)

It's actually Domain Name System. You have a DNS server. Think this explains it pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

synsei
12-08-2013, 03:40
This may be connected or it may not but here is a post from my own forum tech about an issue we experienced a couple of weeks back. This resulted in some members being redirected to an ad site when attempting to log into Beyond Dimensions.

Tapatalk (the forum app link) has been sending some members to an ad site, this is due to the tapatalk revenue system. Tapatalk has been temporarily disabled for a few days and will have its revenue system turned off when it returns, so if anyone is being, or knows someone who has been sent to api.viglinks please post/email me.

Beechwoods
12-08-2013, 06:39
We don't have Tapatalk monetization activated on AOS but thanks for the suggestions Dave.

MikeMusic
12-08-2013, 07:03
Please state which ISP you had problems with, and whether the issue is now resolved, or you posted your reply via some other system (your mobile phone for example).

Not able to connect at all yesterday with Plusnet at home
Ok at work now with ICUK

Audio Al
12-08-2013, 10:06
I seem to have lost ALL my email notifications :scratch:

Have checked that it is all switched on my end and it is, all subscriptions set to instant , not had a email notification for 3 days now

When I click on the new post thread members have replied to the post but still no email notification :scratch:

MikeMusic
12-08-2013, 10:42
I seem to have lost ALL my email notifications :scratch:

Have checked that it is all switched on my end and it is, all subscriptions set to instant , not had a email notification for 3 days now

When I click on the new post thread members have replied to the post but still no email notification :scratch:

'as computers init mate
:(

synsei
12-08-2013, 12:01
Ah, we're back... Indigestion or bad wind perhaps? :D

Beechwoods
12-08-2013, 12:05
It looks like they've sorted whatever issue it was - but what a nightmare it was getting it sorted. I can now connect via Three Mobile at least. They had to take the server down completely to get it sorted.

synsei
12-08-2013, 12:08
It looks like they've sorted whatever issue it was - but what a nightmare it was getting it sorted. I can now connect via Three Mobile at least. They had to take the server down completely to get it sorted.

That's good to hear Nick ;)

Beechwoods
12-08-2013, 12:10
My teeth are almost ground to dust though. No fixing that!

Gordon Steadman
12-08-2013, 12:51
Access has been very slow today and I just got 60 emails down in one go, covering the last few days posts!! Using Mac G5 with Camino as browser

Spectral Morn
12-08-2013, 13:00
Logging in from work, but from home a Virgin customer and I have not been able to log in since Friday, still was unable at 8 this am :(

Right pain

Regards Neil

Trumpton_Rioter
12-08-2013, 13:01
I have had trouble this morning also

Marco
12-08-2013, 13:32
Logging in from work, but from home a Virgin customer and I have not been able to log in since Friday, still was unable at 8 this am :(

Right pain

Indeed - and how do you think it's been for us trying to sort it out? I can assure you that "right pain" doesn't even scratch the surface. Perhaps rather than moan (and this doesn't just apply to you, Neil), it would be better to keep quiet and let us resolve the matter, as soon as we are able to?

Continually reporting about problems serves little constructive purpose and only exacerbates the situation.

Marco.

synsei
12-08-2013, 13:38
Probably worth pointing out that I am a Virgin customer too and have had no problem logging on, apart from when the forum was taken down earlier, so that would confirm the problem is not ISP specific ;)

Gordon Steadman
12-08-2013, 14:04
Indeed - and how do you think it's been for us trying to sort it out? I can assure you that "right pain" doesn't even scratch the surface. Perhaps rather than moan (and this doesn't just apply to you, Neil), it would be better to keep quiet and let us resolve the matter, as soon as we are able to?

Continually reporting about problems serves little constructive purpose and only exacerbates the situation.

Marco.

I rather thought that the more information you had on different problems would have helped find a solution. I won't do it again if it upsets the applecart.

YNWaN
12-08-2013, 14:06
I've got Virgin cable broadband at home - not had any issues logging on recently.

I'm with O2 on my mobile and also have had no issue connecting via any of the local wi-fi networks I regularly use (or via 3G).

MikeMusic
12-08-2013, 14:15
Indeed - and how do you think it's been for us trying to sort it out? I can assure you that "right pain" doesn't even scratch the surface

Marco.

I feel your pain
IT is often an accident waiting to happen and finding the problem/s sometimes impossible
Our 2 major problems since moving here in 2009 seem to be ok after ages of grief and work.
I was so happy when we sorted the 2nd one recently

Marco
12-08-2013, 14:34
I rather thought that the more information you had on different problems would have helped find a solution. I won't do it again if it upsets the applecart.

Hi Gordon,

Supplying information is great, and appreciated - and may that continue to be the case. However, moaning about the situation is not (I'm not saying that you did this).

As some have appreciated (Mike, for example), the real 'pain' is being felt by those of us who are involved in trying to resolve the issue, never mind simply experiencing a little inconvenience at not being able to access the forum for a while.

Therefore, before moaning, it would nice if people showed some consideration/sympathy for those at the sharp end of the stick.

Anyway, let's move on. I'll report back to everyone when the issue has been resolved.

Marco.

MikeMusic
12-08-2013, 14:45
Anyway, let's move on. I'll report back to everyone when the issue has been resolved.

I hope you find it and kill it.
Ours were intermittent and impossible to find for months
We still have problems with 2 pcs on the network here that lose the database at around 4.30 almost every day. Totally mad

Trumpton_Rioter
12-08-2013, 14:46
I hope you find it and kill it.
Ours were intermittent and impossible to find for months
We still have problems with 2 pcs on the network here that lose the database at around 4.30 almost every day. Totally mad

Cheer them up why dont you :lol:

pjdowns
12-08-2013, 14:48
Having worked in IT of a longer period than I want to admit, the most important thing would be to have a list of affected individuals and affected ISP etc. So I feel your pain from both the Administrators and the 'customer' (Forum members) point of view.

Personally, I have had no issues, both from using my Sky Internet and 3G via Vodafone.

I hope you have success in finding the problem and resolving it for those individuals affected.

Paul.

Audio Al
12-08-2013, 14:54
My 37 missing email notifications just arrived :)

synsei
12-08-2013, 16:03
Hi Gordon,

Supplying information is great, and appreciated - and may that continue to be the case. However, moaning about the situation is not (I'm not saying that you did this).

As some have appreciated (Mike, for example), the real 'pain' is being felt by those of us who are involved in trying to resolve the issue, never mind simply experiencing a little inconvenience at not being able to access the forum for a while.

Therefore, before moaning, it would nice if people showed some consideration/sympathy for those at the sharp end of the stick.

Marco.

I don't think there is anyone who doesn't appreciate what you guys are doing behind the scenes to fix this Marco, and personally I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary, in fact members appear to be doing exactly what they were asked to do, which was to report any issues... :scratch:

Spectral Morn
12-08-2013, 16:17

Marco.

As I was simply passing on that I was A a Virgin customer and B not been able to reach AOS since Friday - useful info I would have thought and as I read elsewhere that is what you were asking for I reported it, and as I haven't been able to read anything on AOS since Friday I was unaware of the masses of moaning going on that you allude to in your response - sorry to have added to it.

I am well aware its a pain in the ass to sort/try and find out what the problem is and I am certainly mindful of all the grief that is going on behind the scenes but frankly I find your response pretty rude and not on. I was trying to be helpful with the info I was providing, and excuse me for expressing the frustration at not being able to use the site by using the few words I did, to do so.

MCRU
12-08-2013, 16:47
My 37 missing email notifications just arrived :)

Only 37, I got 62 :lol:

Marco
12-08-2013, 17:30
I am well aware its a pain in the ass to sort/try and find out what the problem is and I am certainly mindful of all the grief that is going on behind the scenes but frankly I find your response pretty rude and not on. I was trying to be helpful with the info I was providing, and excuse me for expressing the frustration at not being able to use the site by using the few words I did, to do so.

That's fair enough, Neil, and sorry for being short with you, but in hindsight, since as an ex-mod you're well aware of the pish this stuff creates behind the scenes, it might have been a good idea to have acknowledged that in your first response, and empathised with us, rather than mentioning simply how you had been inconvenienced. That's what irked me.

Anyway, it's no biggie and not worth falling out over, so let's just put it down to me having a 'bad day', due to the grief I've been having to put up with over all this bullshite, and move on :)

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
12-08-2013, 17:31
Only 37, I got 62 :lol:

Damn, I only got 60. Raise anyone?

Beechwoods
12-08-2013, 17:33
The issue appeared to be fixed for a short period after 1pm today, but around 1.45pm it reverted and we are still in the same position now as we have been over the last few days.

We will update as soon as we have any further information. As Marco says, it's been extremely frustrating trying to get to the bottom of this, as the issue is completely out of our hands, and even persuading our server Host that there was an issue was difficult since it's difficult to replicate if you're one of the lucky ones not affected by the problem.

synsei
12-08-2013, 17:36
The issue appeared to be fixed for a short period after 1pm today, but around 1.45pm it reverted and we are still in the same position now as we have been over the last few days.

We will update as soon as we have any further information. As Marco says, it's been extremely frustrating trying to get to the bottom of this, as the issue is completely out of our hands, and even persuading our server Host that there was an issue was difficult since it's difficult to replicate if you're one of the lucky ones not affected by the problem.

We appreciate what you are all doing behind the scenes Nick and I think most of us realise just what a PITA chasing niggles like this can be. Have a break and brew dude, you deserve it ;)

Beechwoods
12-08-2013, 17:42
Thanks Dave :hifive:

walpurgis
12-08-2013, 20:21
Site inaccessible around 1.25pm and again early evening. Seems OK now.

Just wondering, when there's downtime, is there a big bump in visit numbers after service is restored (bet there is) or does it just carry on as usual? Is this monitored?

MikeMusic
13-08-2013, 06:57
Can't connect at home on Plusnet with Chrome
Yesterday afternoon, evening and first thing this morning
Tried IE as well this morning. Nope

Fine at work

Stratmangler
13-08-2013, 07:09
I lost the ability to access AoS on Friday evening.
I couldn't access the site all weekend and Monday morning.
I am away from home for a few days, so I'm assuming the place I'm staying in more than likely has BT as a Broadband supplier.

My home supplier is Virgin Media (I have a phone/TV/broadband package).

Stratmangler
13-08-2013, 20:05
I've been unable to access AoS over The Cloud today, and Orange mobile internet doesn't want to know either.

pjdowns
13-08-2013, 20:27
I've had a couple of issues with AoS being slow to access or slow to post replies to treads. Doubt it is related but thought I'd mention it in case it can help you guys in anyway :)

synsei
13-08-2013, 20:28
I've had a couple of issues with AoS being slow to access or slow to post replies to treads. Doubt it is related but thought I'd mention it in case it can help you guys in anyway :)

+1

It doesn't last long though...

pjdowns
13-08-2013, 20:51
+1

It doesn't last long though...

Agreed, it's been perfect this evening, whereas this afternoon it was atrocious :(

Ninanina
13-08-2013, 21:09
I still can't access via Sky broadband but still ok using phone on O2

I can only imagine what a pain it is for those peeps trying to sort this all out, I just thought I'd let you know in case it's any use to you ;)

Audioman
13-08-2013, 21:22
It's a bit of a mystery as tracert goes to the host server address but gets no response from AOS and times out. Obviously depends on your ISP as it works fine on BT and many others. Strange that the ISP is making a difference to the server's response when it is being reached.

Spectral Morn
13-08-2013, 23:04
That's fair enough, Neil, and sorry for being short with you, but in hindsight, since as an ex-mod you're well aware of the pish this stuff creates behind the scenes, it might have been a good idea to have acknowledged that in your first response, and empathised with us, rather than mentioning simply how you had been inconvenienced. That's what irked me.

Anyway, it's no biggie and not worth falling out over, so let's just put it down to me having a 'bad day', due to the grief I've been having to put up with over all this bullshite, and move on :)

Marco.

Hi Marco

In hindsight I can see how my post looked unsympathetic, it was fired off quickly from work with my boss bearing down upon me so there wasn't time except to write the bare essentials - apology accepted and I haven't fallen out with you over it.

I am appreciative of all the hassle going on, and I know Nick is doing as good a job as he can and the stress you and the rest of the team are under.

I am here via a very circuitous route tonight but via Virgin (my home provider) and BT today in work - unlike yesterday - I was unable to access AOS, things timed out as others have also experienced. I can offer no technical info more than that but hope things are sorted out soon.

Thank you Nick for all your efforts and good luck sorting it.

I will see you all when things go back to normal.

Regards Neil

Ninanina
14-08-2013, 00:32
Well done and thanks for all your hard work in fixing this :youtheman::youtheman:

I'm now able to login via Sky and I hope everyone else can too :D:D

Spectral Morn
14-08-2013, 05:22
I too am now able to access AOS via Virgin :)

Thank you Nick and all involved in sorting this out :cool:

Regards Neil

MikeMusic
14-08-2013, 05:32
Thanks guys

Oldpinkman
14-08-2013, 05:51
I have been unable to access since Friday and posted on Facebook. Just hangs for ages and reports a sever error. Tried direct links, via Google France, and Google UK and Google.com. All working fine this morning - just as I leave my best internet connection, for a real flaky one.

Personally I blame the mains cable :ner:

Well done for sorting it - lets hope it stays that way - and wish me luck with the traffic driving to Narbonne :cool:

synsei
14-08-2013, 05:51
From around 00:30 this morning I was unable to access the forum for around 45 minutes via Virgin broadband, EE broadband or indeed my EE Mobile internet connection ;)

Andrew B
14-08-2013, 06:26
This is my first time being able to access since the earliest problems, so it may be fixed for good!

Beechwoods
14-08-2013, 06:36
It does look that way. The forum appears to have gone completely offline for 45 minutes last night around 12.45am which is I'm guessing when a fix went in. The issue was apparently in one of our server host's datacentres, some networking issue affecting more than just us.

I'm not counting my chickens yet though. Lets see how it goes.

MikeMusic
14-08-2013, 07:08
It does look that way. The forum appears to have gone completely offline for 45 minutes last night around 12.45am which is I'm guessing when a fix went in. The issue was apparently in one of our server host's datacentres, some networking issue affecting more than just us.

Must be the super technical fix.
Big red switch time
Turn it off, go and have a leisurely cup of tea, turn it back on
:)

Finger crossed it is now fixed

Gazjam
14-08-2013, 09:04
Virgin media user, now able to access.

User211
14-08-2013, 15:15
I have been unable to access since Friday and posted on Facebook. Just hangs for ages and reports a sever error. Tried direct links, via Google France, and Google UK and Google.com. All working fine this morning - just as I leave my best internet connection, for a real flaky one.

Personally I blame the mains cable :ner:

Well done for sorting it - lets hope it stays that way - and wish me luck with the traffic driving to Narbonne :cool:

Been gone for even longer for me. Just came back this aft.

Canetoad
14-08-2013, 16:22
Today was the first day for the last three that I could access the site. I thought it was down again. To be honest it's getting to be a bit hit and miss these days. I'm tempted not to bother! :rolleyes:

bobbasrah
14-08-2013, 18:30
Today was the first day for the last three that I could access the site. I thought it was down again. :

Ditto here, came back this morning, but I'm out middle-east way (not Norwich)